Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

New Idea of Suspension System

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 02:42 AM
zaintlouis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Idea of Suspension System

I originally posted this on R/CTech and the MP777SP2 Thread. for other s to see easily i think it's better to start it this way. Just hopeful i could help others no matter how little it maybe.

What i'm going to share to you is an idea that came to my mind 3 weeks ago. I call it the Zaint Suspension System hehe :-)

Medium springs at the bottom and hard springs at the top. i have a stiff stance at the back and further more.. your shocks extends to the fullest. However you can adjust the stiffness of your car depending on the length and hardness of the auxillary spring that you're gonna add.

The hard springs at the top starts to function when landing from jumps. this is also applicable to the front since the frt section lands first. oh yes i it performed well to me and i'm sticking to it. well you could just ignore it if you don't appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16199.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	658784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39672.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	658785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62128.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	658786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo37922.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	658787  
Old 04-07-2007, 08:50 AM
nik77356

Default RE: New Idea of Suspension System

its a good idea but i dont like the fact that theres no droop you always want droop. great idea just some constructive criticism
Old 04-07-2007, 09:28 AM
ShootPaint

You are basically making a progressive spring. This is offered by a couple of different companies. I am not sure where to get these springs other than at A Main hobbies. That has been the only place I have seen them at the present.

Picture of the springs I am talking about.

Link to the detail page about them.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5677620/tm.htm

They have other models availible as well. A buddy used these on his MBX5 and it seemed to help quite a bit on the rougher tracks we run on.

If you are thinking something is wrong with the picture because the middle of the spring seems to be wider than the top or the bottom, your eyes are not decieving you. By increasing the diameter of the coil it will make the spring softer. So you have a dual rate spring like you are trying to produce above but there are no issues with alignment of the two springs or chasis droop.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:03 PM
j_blaze

what did you use between the shock, I actally had the same idea last week but no clue yet what to put in between.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:07 PM
nik77356

by the way that link just goes to this page
Old 04-07-2007, 01:46 PM
ShootPaint

ORIGINAL: nik77356

by the way that link just goes to this page
Sorry about that. This link should work a little better.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/5373
Old 04-07-2007, 08:37 PM
zaintlouis

what did you use between the shock, I actally had the same idea last week but no clue yet what to put in between.
it between the springs is the Adjustable Collar, see manual of your mp777 (BSW77) or your buggy, there has to be a similar name for that. That's where the spring rest at the upper end. It can obviously seen on the photo.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:40 PM
zaintlouis

its a good idea but i dont like the fact that theres no droop you always want droop. great idea just some constructive criticism
Oh ok. droop! well as i said you can adjust the lenght of your auxillary spring to attain the desired stiffness or droop, what's the use of having or inventing a longer shock absorber? why would you like a longer shock absorber?
Old 04-07-2007, 08:55 PM
zaintlouis

You are basically making a progressive spring. This is offered by a couple of different companies. I am not sure where to get these springs other than at A Main hobbies. That has been the only place I have seen them at the present.
My shocks absorbers extends to the fullest, can it do the same without retracting when it's at rest? everybody is having droops in their lifetime. just want to try something new this time, and maybe later on i would reduce my hard or short shock spring to attain or get a droop back. It depends when it's really needed.

I JUST HOPE THEY WOULD GATHER SCIENTIFIC DATA ON MY SHOCKS TOO, who knows i could get a better PERFORMANCE DATA than theirs hehe. i just hope i could help to those who have little penny to draw from their pocket. or instead spend their money to an aircraft grade aluminum parts. cheers fellas. i feel some kinda robin hood.

Oh about the alignment, the adjustable collar will do the job, you could use 4 pcs for each (maybe held back to back), i just use two. i think two is enough.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:55 PM
Super_Dave

Well your not the first to have the idea. Proline has that exact same type of spring system in production for some monster trucks. I never heard of anyone using it in an 1/8 buggy though so it might work out good with the right setup.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:37 PM
zaintlouis

Well your not the first to have the idea. Proline has that exact same type of spring system in production for some monster trucks. I never heard of anyone using it in an 1/8 buggy though so it might work out good with the right setup.
oh well, atleast i have thought of that myself without knowing it has existed on monstertrucks.

Ey, instead of a droop, you can apply in a softer spring at the bottom for the third rate then make use of the traveling distance your shocks absorber can do.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:55 AM
ShootPaint

The biggest issue you are going to have is overall travel. The more spring guides/spaces you put on the shock to handle the change from one spring to the next will reduce the overall shock travel by the width of the spacer/guide. I know it doesnt sound like much but when you talk about doing three different rate springs you will most likely lose close to a 1/4 inch of travel. This will make it a lot easier for the suspension to bottom out putting undue stress on the shock tower, A-arms, and the shock body itself.

For the money you would spend on the extra spring guide/spacers and springs you could easily have purchased the progressive springs from my above post. They come in at least two different ratings, depending on your needs.

As stated before a buddy of mine uses these on his MB5 and they seem to allow for better traction, reduced chance of the chasis bottoming out off of jumps as well as soaking up bumps better dual to its dual rate abilities.

I know its fun to make things but sometimes it just not practical to follow through with them when someone else is already producing a item that is similar to what you are wanting to do and most likely will function as well or better than your design. One of the major design flaws with your idea is the use of two springs. Since you use two different springs it will be harder to keep them aligned for proper suspension travel not to mention get the return rate the same with out some special tools to measure the return rate.

Please dont take this as a knock on your idea it is simply some constructive critism.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:33 AM
zaintlouis

I don't have problem with the alignment you're talking about. Look it woks well to me ok. i wouldn't post this in the first place. Well maybe your freind didn't get the right set up correctly. it cannot be done by just one test only. just simply if you don't like it don't do it. Why stop people from trying what could be better for them than your expensive 23$ spring. are u a store owner or something? What i want to hear from people is application of the right length of auxillary spring. sorry about your criticism, am not gonna buy it. or whoever else will speak for you, i'm sticking to this idea firmly.

One of the major design flaws with your idea is the use of two springs.
give me a break
Old 04-08-2007, 05:34 AM
xkwizt

setting up 1 set of spring stiffness to be just right is hard enough, i for 1 wouldnt want to add another set to make things more difficult. just to point something out look at some pro drivers drive, they steer superbly and jump superbly, so basically what im trying to say is standard shock and spring setups work theres no need for what your trying to do. just my 2 cents.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:32 AM
nik77356

you just want droop so that when you go over dips it doesnt upset the whole car.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:03 PM
zaintlouis

i agree, droop is essential. if i have a bad experience about this idea i'll remove my photos above. so just keep watching it. IF you still see it then it's the other way around :-)

yes one spring is enough, but normally, If you want stiffness you add spacers, there are even bigger ones if you want more stiffness, you get your desired stiffness with the spacers but you reduce the damping distance you shocks can do. What's the reason why Kyosho made an SP2 777 with longer shock absorbers? to have more damping distance isn't it?

What i want to hear is criticism from those who have tried it and had a bad experience about it. so please if you don't appreciate the idea then don't do it.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:12 PM
SManMTB

ORIGINAL: zaintlouis

i agree, droop is essential. if i have a bad experience about this idea i'll remove my photos above. so just keep watching it. IF you still see it then it's the other way around :-)

yes one spring is enough, but normally, If you want stiffness you add spacers, there are even bigger ones if you want more stiffness, you get your desired stiffness with the spacers but you reduce the damping distance you shocks can do. What's the reason why Kyosho made an SP2 777 with longer shock absorbers? to have more damping distance isn't it?

What i want to hear is criticism from those who have tried it and had a bad experience about it. so please if you don't appreciate the idea then don't do it.

To get more droop you adjust the droop screws on the arms (close to the chassie). Your is set up with no droop at all. The arms don't go below level.
You do not adjust stiffness with spacers. Only way to increase the spring rate is to get stiffer springs.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:21 PM
zaintlouis

I used the droop, droop is very essential to me coz it's also protecting my shock absorber so my shocks wouldn't extend to the fullest. becoz if it does it would blow my shock caps or make it lose thread specially if you have stiffer springs. Good thing you remind me, i checked my droops screw and they're all gone!!! lol. i got to replace them right away. good thing it didn't break my caps.

If you want to add just a little stiffness i use the spacers, if you want a greater spring rate ( if the big spacers is not advisable coz they tend to destroy the elasticity(not sure if that's the correct term for it) of the spring , you replace it with a whole hard spring , but your buggy becomes very bouncy and easily rollover. But with a combination of medium and hard or soft and hard, and so on and so forth (depends on your setup), you get a stiff stance plus a good damping performance. just please try it and you'll see the difference. But when you try , try it carefully. you got to have the right lenght for the auxillary spring ( the one above).
Old 04-08-2007, 07:15 PM
ShootPaint

I don't have problem with the alignment you're talking about.
In your third picture you can clearly see you have an alignment issue. The alignment I am talking about is keeping the top spring centered over the bottom spring. In this picture it is easy to see the white spring is not centered over the black spring. If you have any slop between the spring and the shock body it is going to allow the spring to kick out at the weakest point. This point is the area where your two springs meet. You stated you were using some form of a guide to keep the two springs together. I will bet after a short time running your springs this way you will see wear marks on the shock bodies from this guide. This will be caused by the alignment issue.

Look it woks well to me ok. i wouldn't post this in the first place. Well maybe your freind didn't get the right set up correctly. it cannot be done by just one test only. just simply if you don't like it don't do it.
I have no doubt what you are doing wont work. It will work but it isnt the most cost effective way nor is it the most mechanically efficent way to achieve your goal. My friend that I was referring to was the one running the Progressive springs that I pictured above. They are exactly what you are trying to achieve only engineered in a different manor. By increasing the diameter or decreasing the diameter of the coil, in the spring, it will allow for more or less spring tension under a given load. The nice thing about this spring is it is one complete piece. It doesnt have a weak point as your design where the two springs meet.

Why stop people from trying what could be better for them than your expensive 23$ spring.
I am in no means trying to stop you from reaching your goal. I am simply trying to inform you of the design issues that I see and the possible problems they may cause as well as give you a chance to try out an item that achieves your desired goal.

are u a store owner or something?
I am not a shop owner. I am a hobby machinist. I have made several things for my cars as well. Most of the time I have found that someone else has a product that is availible for a cheaper price and preforms as well as the items which I have made. This is why I referred you to the springs in the link above.

What i want to hear from people is application of the right length of auxillary spring. sorry about your criticism, am not gonna buy it. or whoever else will speak for you, i'm sticking to this idea firmly.
You dont have to buy anything I said, that is your choice. Between you and I your design/idea is sound your means of implimentation are not. I have pointed out a couple areas that I feel will cause you or anyone else wanting to do this issues. If you want to do this by all means keep after it. I honestly believe you will find that you need to go to a one piece spring when everything is said and done. What I would recommend is contacting a local machinist and see if they will make you some custom springs. You already have your design pictured above. All you have to do is measure the diameter of the wire used in your springs, then measure the amount of coils per inch for each spring, and lastly the overall length of each spring. Once you have all these measurements you can have a custom spring made that is one piece just like you current have on your buggy but it will no longer have the guide inbetween the two springs. This should reduce the alignment issues as well as increase the total suspension travel as compared to your current design.

One of the major design flaws with your idea is the use of two springs.
give me a break
I have done exactly what you are trying to do when in desprate times to get equipment up and running but the overall results where as I listed above. I have tried it and found that no matter how hard you work at it two springs stacked on top of each other simply dont preform as well as a single spring that is design for your application. I wish you the best with your project and hope you keep us informed as to how it works for you.

Good luck.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:15 PM
zaintlouis

I have done exactly what you are trying to do when in desprate times to get equipment up and running but the overall results where as I listed above. I have tried it and found that no matter how hard you work at it two springs stacked on top of each other simply dont preform as well as a single spring that is design for your application. I wish you the best with your project and hope you keep us informed as to how it works for you.
What i hear is like a crying baby. the reason for your failure is you're an odd modder. what i want to hear are given data. lenght of auxillary spring, how it performs on jumps, corners, humps, rocky areas, how exactly it fails for you, or perhaps you didn't get the right set up for you. far better to hear or discuss how to make it work for you but you're different and VERY COMMON. SO THAT'S ENOUGH. SINCE I DON'T GET ANY APPRECIATION FROM ANYBODY AT ALL, I'M SHUTTING DOWN THIS THREAD. NOBODY GETS REACTION FROM ME AGAIN. SO I HOPE EVERYBODY IS HAPPY NOW. WISH YOU ALL THE BEST! I SUGGEST YOU START BUYING SHOOTPAINTS SHOCKS ABSORBER WHEN IT GOES OUT IN THE MARKET. OH BABY, HOW"S THAT?
Old 04-08-2007, 09:48 PM
Super_Dave

What i hear is like a crying baby. the reason for your failure is you're an odd modder. what i want to hear are given data. lenght of auxillary spring, how it performs on jumps, corners, humps, rocky areas, how exactly it fails for you, or perhaps you didn't get the right set up for you. far better to hear or discuss how to make it work for you but you're different and VERY COMMON. SO THAT'S ENOUGH. SINCE I DON'T GET ANY APPRECIATION FROM ANYBODY AT ALL, I'M SHUTTING DOWN THIS THREAD. NOBODY GETS REACTION FROM ME AGAIN. SO I HOPE EVERYBODY IS HAPPY NOW. WISH YOU ALL THE BEST! I SUGGEST YOU START BUYING SHOOTPAINTS SHOCKS ABSORBER WHEN IT GOES OUT IN THE MARKET. OH BABY, HOW"S THAT?
Remember how I said proline makes them for monster trucks? So how many monster trucks do you see with them on there at the race track... NONE. Proline makes some of the best products there are and have great recources for racing and development but they didn't get your system to work on a race track. Yes, those were for monster trucks but still its not a new idea and if top manufactures or other aftermarket companies don't have them yet then it means they give you no advantage over the stock configuration and the two springs only make things more complicated.

Of course its still worth a try, however, I don't think someone who has aluminum arms on a "race" buggy would have a right to call someone an idiot because they couldn't get that two spring design to work.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:32 PM
TGreg

Remember how I said proline makes them for monster trucks? So how many monster trucks do you see with them on there at the race track... NONE. Proline makes some of the best products there are and have great recources for racing and development but they didn't get your system to work on a race track. Yes, those were for monster trucks but still its not a new idea and if top manufactures or other aftermarket companies don't have them yet then it means they give you no advantage over the stock configuration and the two springs only make things more complicated.
you are wrong, i had them, they worked great, almost handled as well as a revo.
and again its different for mosters, they are heavier alowing that to work. for this app, i would recommend either just sticking with standered coils, or get the pre made progressive.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42122.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	660187  
Old 04-08-2007, 10:58 PM
ShootPaint

What i hear is like a crying baby. the reason for your failure is you're an odd modder.
Actually I am a very good modder. I have several products in a different industry that people love to death. When I preformed the spring mod it was not on a buggy it was on a paintball marker. The ram assembly in a paintball marker is the same basic design as the piston in the buggies. The major difference between the two is the piston on a paint ball marker is sealed while the piston in a shock is not. I tried dual spring tension in these markers to try to improve the cycling speeds of the ram. By using a dual spring system you could increase or decrease the rams speed at a given distance based on the design of the spring.

I made spacers to keep the springs centered and tried different spring combinations just like you are doing. After I found the desired combination I made a spring for the marker I was testing. Through all my testing the use of a dual spring system, no matter what mods were done to it cause problems. These will be the same basic problems you face.

what i want to hear are given data. lenght of auxillary spring, how it performs on jumps, corners, humps, rocky areas, how exactly it fails for you, or perhaps you didn't get the right set up for you. far better to hear or discuss how to make it work for you but you're different and VERY COMMON.
I have done nothing here but try to explain the issues I think you are going to face. I showed you a working spring that does basically what you are trying to do so you would have a better idea of what you wanted to know about. In my last post I explained how to compare and contrast your design with the one in the picture above as well as design your own spring based off of your findings through testing. If I am crying it is news to me. It seems to be the other way around if you ask me, see statement below.

SO THAT'S ENOUGH. SINCE I DON'T GET ANY APPRECIATION FROM ANYBODY AT ALL, I'M SHUTTING DOWN THIS THREAD. NOBODY GETS REACTION FROM ME AGAIN. SO I HOPE EVERYBODY IS HAPPY NOW. WISH YOU ALL THE BEST! I SUGGEST YOU START BUYING SHOOTPAINTS SHOCKS ABSORBER WHEN IT GOES OUT IN THE MARKET. OH BABY, HOW"S THAT?

I wish I was producing an item that was worth while to purchase for the RC world but I am not. As I originally posted I was only trying to give you some constructive critism. It however seems like you took it personally. I havent attacked you or your idea. I have simply tried to show you the short comings of the design. Again I do wish you the best of luck with your trials and hope you will keep us informed as it is a good thing to see people try to think outside of the box.
So once again I leave you with a good luck in your trials and hope to see you inform us on how things are going. If you choose not to inform us that is your decision.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:01 PM
TGreg

ewww shootpaint PWN'D your @55 H0l3!!!

l33t-haxx0r lmao kekeke ^__^
Old 04-09-2007, 07:33 AM
mattnin

ORIGINAL: ShootPaint

Good luck.
Two springs in series is a common setup in full scale race cars. This would give a similar result in an R/C car. It is the only system that allows for two seperate spring rates to be used with one shock.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.