Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Which car would YOU buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 03:34 PM
BoschPlugs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which car would YOU buy?

Long story short: I own a Traxxas Jato 3.3, dislike it because it's not fun on the track, it wheelies everytime you push the throttle, and most the stock pieces are too easy to break.

Now, I have always wanted a buggy and now's the time to buy one!

Here are my choice. (if they're all bad, please give me other options!)

1) OFNA 1/8 Jammin
2) OFNA Violator
3) OFNA 1/8 Hyper 7 PBS RTR w/Mach .28
4) OFNA 1/8 Hyper 8 RTR w/MacStar .28

Why are they all OFNA? I have no idea, actually. haha. They're all good priced and I've heard many good things about all of them.

QUESTIONS:
1) Which one would YOU choose, if you had to buy a new car?
2) Which has the biggest market? (Parts available)

Thank you, much!
Old 06-09-2007, 03:42 PM
nik77356

Default RE: Which car would YOU buy?

i would choose 3 just because i already have one and i know its great. however 1, 3, and 4 are all great cars. the jammin probably has the best parts availability of any buggy anywhere. now if you are talking about the kit jammin i would buy that one. but the stock motor in the jammin rtr isnt too great. the stock motor in the hyper 7 and 8 are better
Old 06-09-2007, 03:56 PM
BoschPlugs

Sadly, they all would be the RTR models. [sm=71_71.gif]

I can always upgrade the engine later, I just want a quick, reliable, and easy-to-get-parts-for buggy to start my track career.

Would the Hyper 7 be a better choice, then?
Old 06-09-2007, 04:13 PM
nik77356

if you can find a hyper 7 rtr with the hyper .21 engine then yes. if not get them jammin buggy because there will be more parts availability, more people will be able to help you with setup, you can upgrade easier. i would suggest a better radio first, then an engine as your first upgrade.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:26 PM
BoschPlugs

What about this one?
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMAC4&P=ML
Old 06-09-2007, 05:10 PM
nik77356

thats the one i have except i have an aftermarket engine. its a good buggy. the hyper 8 and jammin buggies are good tho too. its individual preference
Old 06-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Rs43EVOman

If you wanna race then your going to have to get a .21 engine, so you probably wanna try and get a buggy that comes with one. The thing is comapnies purposely dont put .21's into their buggies for that reason. Of those buggies listed the best buggies to race are definetly either the hyper 8, or the Jammin. the hyper 7 ,and the violater were designed much more for bashing, and in the track the hyper 8, and the jammin really outperform them. Narrowing it down between the Hyper 8, and the Jammin it's preatty close, but i would say go with the jammin. the jammin does race a bit better then the hyper 8 out of the box, and with the jammin you can upgrade it into the jammin x1-CR FT, which is a preatty decent race buggy. but remeber your track rpboably has a rule that you need to run .21's in buggies, so be prepared to replace the engine, and keep the other one for bashing.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:19 PM
psychosnoman

1, 3, and 4 will get you around the track nicely, so pretty much it's all about which one you will want when your RTR engine breaks down and you really have a racing setup. If it were me I would get the Jammin out of those choices. I would seriously think about getting a kit though, I was thinking the same thing you are right now but now (after the engine died) I wish I would have gone down the kit route.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:57 PM
BoschPlugs

Thank you all for all your input.

Now, I have pretty much narrowed it down between 1 and 4. I have no probably replacing a engine in the future, but I'd rather start out with a little beater engine I can run on the track and get a feel for it all.

Now, to help me narrow it down a bit more.
(If you'd be so kind!)

Which is the faster of the two?
Can I upgrade the Jammin to become a kit car? (Or.. all the parts that would have came in a kit)

Thanks, again! Tonight it's time for the order! Wooo!

EDIT: One more question. If I upgrade the engine and other mis. on both buggies, can I race them/either? (Under the rules)
Old 06-09-2007, 06:13 PM
nik77356

they can both be upgraded to kit spec very easily, however if you are going to go that route anyways why not just get the kit? you get to learn your car better and in the long run its cheaper.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:17 PM
BoschPlugs

Good point, I'm just not sure if I can put a kit together. I've put multiple cars together, after taking them apart. haha. I've never put together an engine, though. (Do they come pre-assembled?)

Which would be a better kit car?
Old 06-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Rs43EVOman

A kit would be a much better idea, becuase to raqce your going to need to get a new engine anyways, and RTR radio gear is horrible so to trace ecnelty your gonna have to reaplce that too. Yes engines do come assembled of course , never heard that question before.Truthfully puting together a kit really isnt that hard, if you take your time ou should be fine, and if you have any problems or arne tsure about somthing, then ASK. If your going to go the kit route, it may seem like your spending more money but youve got to realzie thqat if you were to buy one f those RTR's you would be replacing the engine and all the elctronics so you could race it anyways.

It would be really helpful if we could know what the TOTAL budget your willing to spend on this.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:48 PM
nik77356

they are both great kit cars. the hyper 8 pro comes 80% assembled tho. just something to think about. now since youve considered going towards a kit consider the Hyper 7 PCR
Old 06-09-2007, 07:59 PM
dabro15

i just got my Hyper 8 pro and its a very nice buggy. Its already assembled for you, all you have to do is drop in your choice of engine and electronics. I would go with the pro version over the rtr because the stock engine and electronics in the rtr are junk and the pro version has upgraded parts. I would recommend it over the Hyper 7 if your gonna race. The Jammin is a pure race buggy. Its more expensive to build one but its dominant on the track.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Rs43EVOman

Honeslty id say go with the hyer 8, over the jammin. The hyper 8 just seems to run better on the track. I've found the jammin to be a level below the faster buggies out there, and while i would say the Hyper 8 isnt as great as a Mugen, or kyosho, there great for thenmoney, and youv'e gottas realzie that racing is 90% driver anyways. The hyper 8 can keep up with the top buggies fine.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:11 AM
flatspunout

EVOman are you feeling well? Post 7 says the Jammin outraces the 8, but that last post says the 8 outraces the Jammin! Take your meds! Bosch if you are going to be racing then you need to be able to get parts at the shop where you will be racing. I'm going to agree with EVOman and recommend checking parts selection for the Hyper 8 and the Jammin, as the other 2 buggies won't stack up to them on the track.

-rocky b
Old 06-10-2007, 12:32 AM
nik77356

HEY!!! the hyper 7 can keep up with the other 2
Old 06-10-2007, 09:37 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

The Hyper 7 is a good buggy but still and older version! If you are serious about racing start with a kit like the Hyper 8 Pro kit like I run. Great buggy and very tough! Only problem I have with it is the poor technical support from Hobao and Ofan. Now when I have the money and get ready for a new buggy the Xray EC is on top of the list.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:58 AM
losilover

sell your jato, and get a FTE kit like the jammin, and buy you an engine and stuff for it...i've always wanted a jammin buggy but never had the money to get one, and i love my cen..soo..
Old 06-10-2007, 01:28 PM
BoschPlugs

Well, now I'm torn between the Jammin and the Hyper 8. []

Correct me if I'm wrong, which I very well might (probably will) be, but isn't top speed/acceleration controlled by your engine? Which is saying, if I buy a great engine for the Jammin RTR, wouldn't it be fast than the Hyper 8 Pro kit? [sm=confused_smile.gif]

Isn't the Hyper 8 newer? Which means there would be a better parts market for it?
Old 06-10-2007, 02:04 PM
LSTVega28

ORIGINAL: BoschPlugs

Well, now I'm torn between the Jammin and the Hyper 8. []

Correct me if I'm wrong, which I very well might (probably will) be, but isn't top speed/acceleration controlled by your engine? Which is saying, if I buy a great engine for the Jammin RTR, wouldn't it be fast than the Hyper 8 Pro kit? [sm=confused_smile.gif]

Isn't the Hyper 8 newer? Which means there would be a better parts market for it?
Well if you got the Jammin kit, there wouldnt much upgrading, it comes with all the things you need to race. Imo, go with the Jammin!!