Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

If they build it,we will come.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 09:12 AM
chickenfart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: If they build it,we will come.

I think R/C just scares people off, how many times have you had some guy come up to you and tell you how cool your car is and how he wants to get one for him and his kids, then ask how much you paid and you tell him 2 grand, all of the sudden he's not that keen and ussually watches for a bit before spending a quarter of that on a monkey bike or something. If you wanna race its not accesible to the average joe, sorry i rephrase that, if you want to race and be competetive its not accesible. Obviously you can't please everyone, and it seems easier to please the 80% of people who dont race as opposed to the 20% that do, 20% makes us the minority so its understandable really.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:53 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: chickenfart

I think R/C just scares people off, how many times have you had some guy come up to you and tell you how cool your car is and how he wants to get one for him and his kids, then ask how much you paid and you tell him 2 grand, all of the sudden he's not that keen and ussually watches for a bit before spending a quarter of that on a monkey bike or something. If you wanna race its not accesible to the average joe, sorry i rephrase that, if you want to race and be competetive its not accesible. Obviously you can't please everyone, and it seems easier to please the 80% of people who dont race as opposed to the 20% that do, 20% makes us the minority so its understandable really.
Thats true but think about how many people ride BMX, $2000+ for a nice ride, Harleys? $20k for my dad's Softail with maybe another $10k into it, people that race MX spend $6000 on a factory bike and can dump at least another $10k into it to race competitively, people that rock crawl, $15k for a cheap Jeep crawler built in there garage on weekends. People can afford it, its just its not as popular, people don't wanna race $2000 "toy" cars, they think there toys, of course. If ESPN coverage would happen then it would boom but its just not mainstream yet.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:11 AM
chickenfart

Thats what scares people away, I can buy a dirtbike and have a ball with my kids and spend stuff all on it, buy a nitro car and all of the sudden your fixing it all the time and buying bits and pieces. Then you have to know how to use it and if you don't you get pretty sick of frying $12 plugs all the time and whatever else decides to stuff up because of inexperience. Pretty soon your wishing you hadnt spent that money on something your too scared to use coz you might stuff it some more, especially nitro.
I really hate the way its all going really, it never ends, its not good any more that you just bought the car you really wanted, once you get it you gotta hop it up you gotta have this part and that carry bag and Ultra high torque digital servos, turbo head motors, 1,2,3 chamber pipes, 20,30,40% fuel with cleaning agents and crap in it, after run oil, abc,abb,abd,whatever piston and liners, 2,3,4 shoe aluminium, rulon,carbon clutches with 1, 1.1, 1.2 and whatever else springs and every tooth imaginable spur gear pinion gears clutch gears, metal, rubber, metal nad rubber sealed bearing, ceramic bearings, high downforce wings and all the other crap that just seems like good marketing and not of any substantial use for the price.
I don't think its people not wanting to race them, I just think its too daunting for the average joe to enjoy, going down to the track only to be beaten by the guy with more cash gets annoying and I can see why it can be easier to stay away.
And in my opinion, yes they are toys, just very well marketed and toys, so that big kids like us don't feel so bad when we have so much fun with em. I enjoy this hobby but I like the good old days when i rocked up to the track and if i raced well i would win, now it seems to be all about cash and all the companies know it too.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:52 AM
annie_himself

ORIGINAL: chickenfart

Thats what scares people away, I can buy a dirtbike and have a ball with my kids and spend stuff all on it, buy a nitro car and all of the sudden your fixing it all the time and buying bits and pieces. Then you have to know how to use it and if you don't you get pretty sick of frying $12 plugs all the time and whatever else decides to stuff up because of inexperience. Pretty soon your wishing you hadnt spent that money on something your too scared to use coz you might stuff it some more, especially nitro.
I really hate the way its all going really, it never ends, its not good any more that you just bought the car you really wanted, once you get it you gotta hop it up you gotta have this part and that carry bag and Ultra high torque digital servos, turbo head motors, 1,2,3 chamber pipes, 20,30,40% fuel with cleaning agents and crap in it, after run oil, abc,abb,abd,whatever piston and liners, 2,3,4 shoe aluminium, rulon,carbon clutches with 1, 1.1, 1.2 and whatever else springs and every tooth imaginable spur gear pinion gears clutch gears, metal, rubber, metal nad rubber sealed bearing, ceramic bearings, high downforce wings and all the other crap that just seems like good marketing and not of any substantial use for the price.
I don't think its people not wanting to race them, I just think its too daunting for the average joe to enjoy, going down to the track only to be beaten by the guy with more cash gets annoying and I can see why it can be easier to stay away.
And in my opinion, yes they are toys, just very well marketed and toys, so that big kids like us don't feel so bad when we have so much fun with em. I enjoy this hobby but I like the good old days when i rocked up to the track and if i raced well i would win, now it seems to be all about cash and all the companies know it too.
You make alot of good points but you don't really need that many pipes and clutch setups.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:33 PM
mtbkym01

My nearest track (at this stage) is 450km (5 hr drive) away, thats ten hours driving without any RC driving, not feasible. My club is working with our local council to try and source some land to build a new facility, ideally with onroad and offroad (we do currently have an onroad facility, but nothing offroad). We are only a small club as I live in a regional area (Cairns in Far North Queensland for all those familiar). Australia is a vast country with lots of area between towns/cities. One facility I've stumbled across in this country in South Australia, has a hobby store, Slot Car racing, Indoor Onroad and Offroad, from my understanding the store itself created this facility and should be supported immensly (My problem is it is a 4000km drive, LOL from were I live). here's a link [link]http://www.hobbyhabit.com.au/content/default.asp[/link]. I'm sure a few guys I've seen post on RCU are familiar with this facility, and let me tell you, I would kill (not literally) to have access to something like this.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:31 PM
annie_himself

ORIGINAL: mtbkym01
I would kill (not literally) to have access to something like this.
I feel your pain.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:17 PM
Highsyde

Hey
I know what you mean, BUT, if you do your home work you can come close the first time. Too many people spend too much time and money trying to set up their car for different tracks instead of learning how to DRIVE their car on different tracks.I have made this mistake and have, after many dollars ,learned from it. Dial your car so it won't break. Half the battle is to finish. The biggest difference you can make in regards to your car from track to track is the tires.

When in doubt......GAS IT!!!!
Old 08-18-2007, 10:26 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Here are a couple of tracks I race at but are 55 and 75 miles one way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1x2CYsBTbM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whB0iBUqfhs

But we will have a local track shortly.