Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

How To: shim diffs

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 07:48 PM
j_blaze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To: shim diffs

anybody please post your techniques. i've looked for a guide or how to or tips on this but can't seem to find anything detailed enough. i have blown my rear diffs on both buggy and truggy. i had 2-4 shims in on the crown gear side and it ran great for several tanks. eventually the bearings went bad and allowed some play in the mesh then stripped bevel and crown. i now have 2 new sets but don't want to do this again. i am using the TiNi bevel and crown gears from sportwerks in my hyper 7 with 3 shims front and back, so far so good.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:02 PM
dbuggyracer

Default RE: How To: shim diffs

try putting a shime on your pinnion gear also so it will be a little tighter on the bevel gear and it should take just a couple of shimes on each side of the diff.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:09 PM
SManMTB

I follow the manual and only slightly damaged a pinion once in 3 years. There's nothing to it.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:07 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Make sure you do not shim it too tight! I have never had to shim my diffs on my Hyper 8 and have not had any problem in well over 8 gallons. Now on my Savage I shim them.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:16 AM
Savagekilla

Heres the best How To on shimming -

http://www.savage-central.com/module...wtopic&t=55122
Old 10-04-2007, 06:34 PM
j_blaze

ORIGINAL: Savagekilla

Heres the best How To on shimming -

http://www.savage-central.com/module...wtopic&t=55122
thats what i was looking for, thanks this is the big line that will solve my problems :"OK now that you have the ring gear shimmed into the pinion the way you want, it’s time to shim the diff cup side bearing. You need to do this to prevent the ring gear from being pushed too hard into the pinion. "
Old 10-05-2007, 01:56 AM
Da Smak
Banned

I Don't know how you've managed to kill the diffs in a Hyper 7 so quickly, as I've not had tostick a single shim in there for over 5 years. Do you have the RTR .28 by any chance? Not that it matters as my V-Specs are far more powerful. I think maybe your not greasing the gears or something.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:11 PM
j_blaze

i had a diff blow on my truggy so i did the ones on my hyper just in case. looks like i did it wrong. i have the diff on the other side now as i have probably stretched the diff box now and will have some play without any shims. live and learn. its not that common a problem, guess thats why its hard to find any info on it. i may have over tightened the 4 screws that close the box front to back and that pushed the whole case apart a bit on the truggy.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:53 PM
j_blaze

problem found. i had the diff case apart today and it seems the bearings on the diff are blown, lots of wobble. even with 6 shims in there there was play so i ook it out and noticed the bearings were almost rubbing on the crown gear! swapped out for new and only 1 shim on each side, super tight fit now. also new case since the old one was worn some where the bearing had been rubbing. should be good as new.