Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

*** OFFICIAL BUYING BUGGY NEED ADVICE THREAD ***

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

*** OFFICIAL BUYING BUGGY NEED ADVICE THREAD ***

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 02:24 PM
jonnymac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *** OFFICIAL BUYING BUGGY NEED ADVICE THREAD ***

ORIGINAL: zjwhitrock

well i supos i should post this here.

long story short iv got $350 and looking to get a 1/8 or somthing like a t-maxx
but there so many difrent 1/8 around $300 iv got no clue i was looking at a protos or a hyper 7(the one with the red wheels)
i have read the buget buggy battle in the dec issue of RCCA that just confuesd me more

i am looking to do SOME club racing (theres about 40 people that race1/8 at my local track

any recomendations or sugestions??

i have a mini t and rc18t now
At that price the only buggy worth looking at is the Hyper 7.
Tough as boots, loads of upgrade potential cheap spares and perfectly raceable.
you won't be disappointed for the money.
There are few upgrades you will need though such as a new steering servo and a receiver pack. If you can stretch to it get CNC chassis braces too.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:24 PM
BMooch1

After researching 1/8 scales almost religiously for the past couple of months I think you need to start with the following questions:

1. How much do you want to spend!!!
2. What are you going to do w/the car race, bash etc
3. RTR, ARR, or Kit
4. If its an RTR more than likely most of your parts will be included ..
5. If its an ARR you will need some parts.. possibly servos, radio controller, and sometimes even a motor
6. If it is a kit you made need servos, tires, wheels, controller and a few other misc things.
7. If you are new to nitro and this is where the cost will go up fairly quickly you do need a bunch of things to get started

Things like a roto start, starter box, temp gauge, locktite, fuel, fuel bottle, wrenches, screwdrivers, air filter oil, and I am sure I am missing a few things but these things add up very quickly if you are just getting into 1/8 scale.

Here is an example of what I did:

I had an idea of around 400-500 and I was completely new to nitro
I wanted a car that I could race at my local track and sometimes bash around the neighborhood
Wanted an rtr or an arr for sure ended up with an arr
The problem I ran into was that you could pick up a Losi rtr for around 550 and that is what I based my purchase off of.

I ended up with a sportwerks turmoil pro, futaba fasst system, and a bunch of other parts/equipment which took my total well near 800 dollars ( please don't tell my wife)

Don't be afraid to call companies and get a feel for there product and tech support it was a huge difference for me
Old 11-06-2007, 05:43 PM
chad25

this really helps i was woundering if the losi 8ight buggy is any good for my first buggy

chad
Old 11-06-2007, 08:46 PM
zjwhitrock

ORIGINAL: jonnymac

ORIGINAL: zjwhitrock

well i supos i should post this here.

long story short iv got $350 and looking to get a 1/8 or somthing like a t-maxx
but there so many difrent 1/8 around $300 iv got no clue i was looking at a protos or a hyper 7(the one with the red wheels)
i have read the buget buggy battle in the dec issue of RCCA that just confuesd me more

i am looking to do SOME club racing (theres about 40 people that race1/8 at my local track

any recomendations or sugestions??

i have a mini t and rc18t now
At that price the only buggy worth looking at is the Hyper 7.
Tough as boots, loads of upgrade potential cheap spares and perfectly raceable.
you won't be disappointed for the money.
There are few upgrades you will need though such as a new steering servo and a receiver pack. If you can stretch to it get CNC chassis braces too.
ok but im not going to be raceing all that much maby 1-2 times a month

with the protos i realy like the idea of the hingpin inserts to ajust caster/toe
Old 11-07-2007, 08:44 PM
gokartingbob455

im looking into buying a 1/8 kit within maybe, $300-530 got any ideas? i was kinda looking at the rc8, but then everyone destroyed my hopes of getting one, and then i rebuilt them.
oh yeah, how much does it cost to get a kit running? (just 14 ill get enough money sooner or later. no rush)
Old 11-08-2007, 07:07 PM
Vigilante212

Bob im planning on spending $1200 to get my xray up and running, but this is for a pure race setup. Depending on what you want to do with it expect to spend a couple hundred more then the cost of the kit or more if you dont have a radio, bump box, or motor. For 350 you can get a kit, but you wont be able to get anything else to run it. Your best bet is a RTR.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:03 PM
skater139

is the OFNA violator a good turck or not
Old 11-08-2007, 09:54 PM
gokartingbob455

i really want to race and i know that it costs atleast $1,000 to get a kit running. ill get that amount of money sooner or later, not hoping to die soon
if you have few thoughts about tell me em' (da smak, I'm sorry I'm asking this again)
getting new issue of "rcdriver" tomorrow and it has a review on the rc8 so if it gets a good rating I'm getting one.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Reb2973

Just found out they opened a little club in my area and built a nice track.I was talking to them but seems they only race 1/8 buggies. Go figure,I only have a revo. Im going to go watch a race on Sunday and see what its all about, never raced before and want to get into it. I was doing alot of searching on a good buggy to start off with and came up with the Hyper 7 TQ Pro RTR.

It seems they race once or twice a month and in between I guess I would be doing some mild bashing around the house. Does this seem like a good choice? I see it comes with a mac star .28 engine, I thought the rules were a .21 but Im not sure. Maybe this engine falls in that class? Any input on that would be great and if its even a good engine. I will be asking alot at the race on Sunday but hoping you guys could shine some light on these questions for me. Thanks.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Da Smak
Banned

ORIGINAL: skater139

is the OFNA violator a good turck or not
As a Basher there aren't many that would be better, but as a racing BUGGY then there are far better in the same price range.

Sorry I didn't know what a TURCK was?
Old 11-09-2007, 01:50 PM
bigg_h78

All right, so I want to race and I am thinking Hyper 8.5 race kit. I am wondering what size engine to put in? And if anyone could recommend a couple of good engines.

Thanks!!
Old 11-09-2007, 01:51 PM
bigg_h78

Sorry, I mean the Hyper 8 kit, not 8.5
Old 11-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Da Smak
Banned

I'd go with the 8.5 kit over the 8, it's got so many updates and for no price difference, as for the engine either the OS V-Spec or a Go .21 7 port will suit your slim budget ideas.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:35 AM
Reb2973

Well nobody answered my post on the hyper 7 TQ pro,,so hows this, Whats a good one to buy that can hang with the club racers and be competetive as my driving skills progress? I realize alot of it will be driving skills, but want one that will compete when my driving is ready for it. I went by the LHS on the way to work tonight and all they have is a XTr 2 ...I think thats what it was called. he didnt have any other choices. Im willing to spend a bit, but not alot for my first one. Would like a RTR but also wouldnt mind a kit. I like to build on my rc's just as much as I enjoy driving them..So throw out a couple of good idea's for me..if its a kit, maybe tell me a decent motor to go with it. Once again, thanks for any advice.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:51 AM
shanes xt2

you mean a xt2 (x termiator2) a great buggy for the money
Old 11-10-2007, 07:39 AM
jonnymac

ORIGINAL: Reb2973

Well nobody answered my post on the hyper 7 TQ pro,,so hows this, Whats a good one to buy that can hang with the club racers and be competetive as my driving skills progress? I realize alot of it will be driving skills, but want one that will compete when my driving is ready for it. I went by the LHS on the way to work tonight and all they have is a XTr 2 ...I think thats what it was called. he didnt have any other choices. Im willing to spend a bit, but not alot for my first one. Would like a RTR but also wouldnt mind a kit. I like to build on my rc's just as much as I enjoy driving them..So throw out a couple of good idea's for me..if its a kit, maybe tell me a decent motor to go with it. Once again, thanks for any advice.
The TQ pro is what you need for sure. (are you sure its a pro version with a machstar .28 in?)
Its one of the best value buggies on the market.

OK so here are the best value buggies which can race.
Hyper 8.5
Jammin
Hyper 7

Always go for the kit over RTR as the components are much better quality, but if you absolutley have to, the RTR versions are not terrible.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Da Smak
Banned

Yes Jonny, the TQ Pro does come with the Macstar .28 and it is the greatest VFM buggy ever realeased.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Reb2973

Ok, thanks guys. I will keep searching on a good deal with the hyper 7 . Whats a good motor thats easy on the wallet if I get a kit? is the .28 that comes with the RTR legal to race?
Old 11-10-2007, 06:13 PM
Coopz

ORIGINAL: Reb2973

Ok, thanks guys. I will keep searching on a good deal with the hyper 7 . Whats a good motor thats easy on the wallet if I get a kit? is the .28 that comes with the RTR legal to race?

No, some clubs have a pullstart/unreistricted class but generally buggy engines must be .21.
The Hobao Mach .21 Turbo is a very quick and powerful motor, represents brillient value. I have 1 in my truggy and it's only a fraction slower than my Vspec powered buggy and it's less the half the price, 15 litres and still going strong with no loss of compression or power.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:45 AM
Zonk

Mach .21 turbos are hands down the best bang for your buck motor on the market.
I've had almost 20 engines over the years and only have good things to say about the Mach's, not the easiest to tune, they can run a lil' hot and they don't like to idle longer than 10 seconds but they have a good power band and generally last as long as the top dollar engines.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:14 AM
Da Smak
Banned

ORIGINAL: Zonk

they don't like to idle longer than 10 seconds
That is solved by lengthening the pressure tube from the pipe to tank to stabalise the pressure a little.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:28 PM
destrux

The best advice I can think of for someone buying their first buggy is to buy one that you can afford to fix, and that won't make you cry when you smash into something solid at high speed. After all, you don't get a 500hp RWD Ferrari as a first car when you turn 16 (and if you do, you generally don't live to tell about it). Then again, if you're rich, and any RC car is just another RC car, then buy the best you can afford. Most people aren't rich though.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Dokioto

Well, I was told to post here so, Here it is-

I am looking for a cheap buggy (around $290) and so far the Robitronic Protos RTR and Ofna Ultra LX-One RTR are the top choices.
What would you pick out of the two?
Have any more suggestions? Thanks
Old 11-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Anthoop

ORIGINAL: Dokioto

Well, I was told to post here so, Here it is-

I am looking for a cheap buggy (around $290) and so far the Robitronic Protos RTR and Ofna Ultra LX-One RTR are the top choices.
What would you pick out of the two?
Have any more suggestions? Thanks
In your position i would choose a Hyper7 (think it's $240) tough as old boots,totally upgradable and better than your previous choices...er...imo!
Old 11-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Dokioto

Do you have a link?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.