Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Anyone own a Ofna Ultra LX1??

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 11:22 PM
Dokioto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone own a Ofna Ultra LX1??

I see.. Might be a while be for the new body though (thinking about getting some other stuff none hobby related/Mini Quad)

I think 5/7/2 is the best for me as there will be less wheel spin on the hard surfaces I run on (correct?).
Old 04-24-2008, 01:21 PM
jaws1

thinking of fitting new diff oils, what do u think of 5-8-3
Old 04-24-2008, 09:42 PM
ShoestringRacer

Today I started a breakin of a new in box Ofna Hyper 21 4 port, with an OS 20E carb on it. ( I tried to put in an OS 21 RGXP but had all kinds of installation problems!) I put on a 12 tooth bell but its probably too low. So next time out I'll try the 13. Its too fast for me with the 14 as I want to run in smaller places.

So anyway, I took off the metal ring gear around the center diff and tried to put on a plastic one (I want to run plastic to see if my drive train at the front and rear is making noise and also to save the metal gear while I experiment with different CB's and do the break-in). BUT the problem is the inner part of the plastic gear is slightly wider than the metal and the 4 screws that hold it on the diff arent long enough to go into the nylon threaded part of the back nuts!!! Ofna, whats the problem over there huh!?!?!?
Old 04-24-2008, 10:28 PM
Dokioto

Are you sure the ring gear is for the same diff?
Old 04-24-2008, 11:53 PM
cbr04

ORIGINAL: thor04

crb04 how is it getting that rod through there could ya get me any pics?
it's actually very easy. i will get some pics up tomorrow hopefully.

on a different note, one of my cousins just picked up a new LX1. he broke it in today then spent about an hour tuning it. we went out and ran it this evening and his RIPS and was WAY FASTER than mine. i haven't tuned mine in a while but damn i didn't expect to be anihilated like that lol. guess i gotta do some tuning tomorrow.

also he was usning 30% nitro fuel and i use 20%. would that be a factor in speed/performance?
Old 04-25-2008, 01:34 PM
the_archer

i think that 30 would be better than 20 in speed and perf. I've heard not to use anything over 25 or your engine will not have as long life as 20- 25. apperantly it wears out the piston and sleeve much faster.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Paradoxmaker

ORIGINAL: Dokioto

Are you sure the ring gear is for the same diff?
That's kinda what i'm wondering. The only Ofna plastic spur gears I can think of go on the old Ofna Pirates or are ment for 2 speed transmissions...
Old 04-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Dokioto

ORIGINAL: the_archer

i think that 30 would be better than 20 in speed and perf. I've heard not to use anything over 25 or your engine will not have as long life as 20- 25. apperantly it wears out the piston and sleeve much faster.
Yes... 30% is going to haul much faster..

I prefer 20%
Old 04-25-2008, 08:41 PM
the_archer

i run byrons race gen 2 fuel in my ultra lx comp. i have really leaned the engine and my temps are at about 160. top speed of 68 on a straight. broke the spur gear.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:30 PM
Dokioto

What engine are you running and how are you measuring speed?

160 degrees and 70 MPH[&:] Have any pics of your car?
Old 04-27-2008, 05:22 PM
muletrain88

i took the head shim out of my force .26 and it is running better than before
Old 04-27-2008, 06:32 PM
the_archer

im running a ofna hyper .21 turbo charged. i asked a police officer to measure the speed. and i dont have a camera right now. my brother took it.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Dokioto

I'll be waiting for the pics..

When you say Turbo Charged....[&:]
Old 04-28-2008, 06:27 PM
cluelessk

its just a name for the enigne
Old 04-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Dokioto

I see.. 70 MPH seems a little fast to me though
Old 04-29-2008, 07:16 PM
muletrain88

ya it does seem a little high but who knows
Old 04-29-2008, 07:37 PM
Dokioto

Ran mine in the parking lot Sunday and it wasn't the best idea. My front tires almost look like slicks now.[:'(]
Old 05-01-2008, 10:08 PM
ShoestringRacer

OK this is the link to the plastic spur. If tower is right it comes on a few other cars. I cant really blame OFNA for not having the screws long enough to use it becuase I am doing a downgrade by going to plastic instead of an upgrade. It makes sense the plastic screw mounts are wider because plastic is weaker than steel. I did put the steel back in and I will get some 15 mm long screws to use the plastic gear in the future.

My front cup joint (or whatever it's called) came loose off the pinion gear shaft so I took out the set screw and filed it down flat and put threadlock back on it. Seems to be holding up so far but if I had some red locktite I probably would have used that instead of blue. I took the rear set screw out and did the same as a preventative strategy. That is one area where they just cheaped-out. That joint should have a set screw shaft going right through the whole thing.

here's the spur:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&P=9&I=LXBM16
Old 05-01-2008, 10:13 PM
ShoestringRacer

Ran mine in the parking lot Sunday and it wasn't the best idea. My front tires almost look like slicks now.[:'(]

hey get yourself a set of these for the pavement...err, well, I guess its too late though

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMW85&P=7
Old 05-01-2008, 11:52 PM
thor04

I'm gonna have to get me a set of those tires. i could see some nice crome rims in there.
So i took the car out today finnally i got 15 mins on one tank but my temps kept going threw the roof 300+..370 was max..the engine was sputtering and my heart skipped a beat but lots of smoke still. so i richened it a 1/4 turn so far so good. kinda wierd from the last time it was out but oh well tomorrow will tell a different story if it still runs but i have no worries its a axial knock on wood.
On the other note i got my front diff case and it went together like crap i had to sand file and adjust everything on the front end of my car it works but not happy and i fixed my body..just screwed it to the front body mount its 10 times easier to put on and off my body now...no more fighting around the front shock tower anymore..lol
Old 05-02-2008, 12:26 PM
the_archer

the turbo charged means the fuel sprays more evenly and gives it more power...somehow..., and therefore less fuel consumption. i dont get it either.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Paradoxmaker

ORIGINAL: ShoestringRacer

OK this is the link to the plastic spur. If tower is right it comes on a few other cars. I cant really blame OFNA for not having the screws long enough to use it becuase I am doing a downgrade by going to plastic instead of an upgrade. It makes sense the plastic screw mounts are wider because plastic is weaker than steel. I did put the steel back in and I will get some 15 mm long screws to use the plastic gear in the future.

My front cup joint (or whatever it's called) came loose off the pinion gear shaft so I took out the set screw and filed it down flat and put threadlock back on it. Seems to be holding up so far but if I had some red locktite I probably would have used that instead of blue. I took the rear set screw out and did the same as a preventative strategy. That is one area where they just cheaped-out. That joint should have a set screw shaft going right through the whole thing.

here's the spur:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&P=9&I=LXBM16
I see now...Yeah that will work on an LX but the Ultra GT and the Blazer that it was orginally ment for are something on the order of 7 years or more old....
Old 05-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Paradoxmaker

the_archer

im running a ofna hyper .21 turbo charged. i asked a police officer to measure the speed. and i dont have a camera right now. my brother took it

I'll be waiting for the pics..

When you say Turbo Charged....[&:]
The Hyper 21 turbo engines are called that becasue the 1 way bearing for the pull starter inside the engine has a bladed fan on them that makes em look kinda like a turbo impeller. IDK if it really does anyting to the actual performance of the engine since if you convert it to a sealed backplate you remove the turbo fan from the inside of the engine.

It's part # 53021 (One-Way Turbo Fan $22.06) in this pic...
Old 05-06-2008, 12:08 PM
chunkster

Hey Guys!! Took my LX1 to the track on sunday man did i have a blast!! I Need some dirt tires which would you recomend? I would rather buy a set of wheels and tires. What other model wheel can fit the LX1?
Old 05-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Paradoxmaker

ORIGINAL: chunkster

Hey Guys!! Took my LX1 to the track on sunday man did i have a blast!! I Need some dirt tires which would you recomend? I would rather buy a set of wheels and tires. What other model wheel can fit the LX1?

Any 1/8th buggy tires will fit the LX but proline rims kinda rub on Ofna RC's...I prefer Panther tires and rims for buggies...

The most popular tires for dirt are Proline Crimefighters and Panther Komodo Dragon 2's....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.