Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Turbo head button??

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Enkidu78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo head button??

Hi guys

Could someone explain what a turbo plug head button is and what it actually does?????

I have a mach28 from hobao and i've noticed they do a turbo version (I know its not like a real turbo) what does this do different and how could I convert mine???
Old 01-14-2008, 11:59 AM
SManMTB

Default RE: Turbo head button??

It's just a different thread for the plug with a conical seal. The purpose is to fit the so called 'turbo' plug (stupid name). That's it.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:01 PM
Enkidu78

So what would that do then???? I've noticed they sell a turbo fan one way bearing too.... What does it all do...
Old 01-14-2008, 12:08 PM
SManMTB

It doesn't do more than fit the plug!

A turbo plug is supposed to gain a tiny bit more rpms up top. Personally I think turbo plugs are not the best for off road use. The seal is way more sensitive to dirt than a traditional washer style plug.

Turbo fan one way bearing!!!??? what is that? The term doesn't make any sense, just like headlight fluid.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Enkidu78

Tell me about it.... Suppose you could have cross drilled brake hoses? LMAO

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/ite...n-Housing__f3b
Old 01-14-2008, 01:32 PM
Anthoop

ORIGINAL: SManMTB
Turbo fan one way bearing!!!??? what is that? The term doesn't make any sense, just like headlight fluid.
Ah...you not heard of that!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27797.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	851035  
Old 01-14-2008, 01:36 PM
SManMTB

haha, ok. what's it for?
Old 01-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Anthoop

Well obviously it incorporates the one way bearing plus this is what is referred to as the "turbo" part....i'm presuming that the theory is that the fan forces the mixture up into port channels...maybe they thought crankcase pressure supplied by the piston wasn't enough![&:]
Old 01-14-2008, 03:42 PM
Dan S

ORIGINAL: Enkidu78

Hi guys

Could someone explain what a turbo plug head button is and what it actually does?????

I have a mach28 from hobao and i've noticed they do a turbo version (I know its not like a real turbo) what does this do different and how could I convert mine???
I hope this will help you,

Here you go I got this off findarticles.com. I copy and paisted it so you can see why you need a turbo plug with a turbo head.

"Turbo" plug. These do the same job as regular plugs-they ignite the fuel/air mixture inside the engine-- but their design offers an advantage. A turbo plug is tapered and doesn't need a washer; It seals the combustion chamber nearly perfectly. Regular, non-tapered plugs with copper washers can allow leakage out of the engine's combustion chamber, and this causes a slight loss of performance.

The taper on a turbo plug and on the mating portion of the head also allows the combustion chamber to be smoother and less likely to disrupt the fuel/air mixture during combustion. ft doesn't matter how long or short the plug is, and there isn't any concern with the thickness or reusability of glow-plug gaskets.

Turbo plugs are sealed against the interior surface of the cylinder head; the tapered part mates with a taper in the cylinder head's glow-plug opening (or "head button" on two-piece heads). This fit means that the glow plug is always installed at the proper height; the interior contour of the combustion chamber is never disrupted by a plug that is too long or too short, and there isn't a gasket to worry about leaking. The result is a potential top-end performance increase of a few thousand rpm.

Are turbo plugs less durable than regular plugs, and are they suitable only for on-road engines? These are popular misconceptions. Having a tapered body does not make a plug less durable. Plug durability is determined more by Its coil construction and how the engine is tuned than by a plug's housing. To seal properly, turbo plugs do, however, require perfectly clean plug and head-button threads.

Off-road engines encounter more dirt and grime than on-road engines, so turbo plugs are more suitable for on-road applications. If, however, you maintain a clean, debris-free head button and glow-plug threads, a turbo plug will work just fine.

Dan.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:46 AM
Enkidu78

Great info dude cheers
Old 01-15-2008, 07:08 AM
adz06

that turbo fan one way bearing came in my hyper 21 8 port turbo its ment to give better runtimes and smoother power band to be honest i dont think it did very much.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:24 AM
hrdcoreglf

The best way to get better power band and run times is to get rid of the one way bearing, pullstart/roto start plate, and go to the choice of the pro's. A starter box. Removing the drag and weight of these parts will help increase performance.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Da Smak
Banned

The turbofan acts in the same way as a supercharger in a 1:1, except of being driven by a belt, it's drivene directly by the crank and is there to compensate for the loss of power due to the drag of the pullstart parts, but it doesn't, it really is just a fancy one way bearing to crank adaptor, which is the most common failure on these engines due to the poor material used, when the mills flooded and youtry to turn it over, it is this part that cracks and splays open allowing the oneway to revolve inside it and thus NOT turn the engine over. The only thing the fan really does is stir the mixture up a little more than a normal engine and so creates a better mix of fuel/air to enter the chamber.