Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Serious Racers Only...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 09:09 PM
Mz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious Racers Only...

i have a question for all you big race guys out there... on a tall driver's stand, how do you guys communicate with your pit guy? i have been racing at a track with a short stand so when i need to pit, my pit guy just taps me on the leg, but now i'm moving up and i don't know what to do about this!

thanks!
Old 03-31-2008, 09:21 PM
supertool28
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Serious Racers Only...

Hi. when I race my pit man raises his hand one lap early so when I pass him on the track I see him. We also yell alot during the race. He tells me if someone is coming or to watch out for a crash ahead. He also cheers me on or tells me to slow down or how to help my driving on the track. One thing I've thought about is using my cell phone with my head set. My pit guy and I are planing to try this at our next race this saturday. I'll post later and tell you how it works.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:25 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: supertool28

Hi. when I race my pit man raises his hand one lap early so when I pass him on the track I see him. We also yell alot during the race. He tells me if someone is coming or to watch out for a crash ahead. He also cheers me on or tells me to slow down or how to help my driving on the track. One thing I've thought about is using my cell phone with my head set. My pit guy and I are planing to try this at our next race this saturday. I'll post later and tell you how it works.
I think ROAR made that illegal. I know walkie-talkie's are illegal.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:29 PM
Mz

thanks, supertool, the raising hand thing makes sense.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:59 PM
dicko

for club races a few guys at our track use blue tooth headsets. our pit is directly below the driver stand, so i stand directly above my pitman & wait for him to raise his hand as I go by to know when to come in next lap for fuel. works for me.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:50 PM
Nik.

I have a timer in my transmitter so I know when to pull it in for fuel. Or he just raises the fuel bottle and motions to it so I can see him. In practice I just use my right hand to make a "squeezy fuel bottle" motion for fuel.

If my pitman temps my motor, he will show me the second to last number of the temp with his fingers.

For example, 220* would be 2 fingers for 20.

and 240*, that would be 4 fingers for 40.

Less then 200* is just a "thumbs down".

Numbers are rounded up to the nearest 10, its not that important to know the temp anyways.

We also have signals for tuning the engine. Tapping my head means main-needle and reaching down and knocking on the drivers stand in low speed needle. Rich in thumbs up (more fuel!), leaner is thumbs down (Less fuel!).

Divers OK signal means its all good, put the car back on the track!

We also have the universal "kill the car" signal, the one waving you had over your neck. Good for telling turn marshals to kill your car too.

Now you all know our secrets. Dang!

Old 03-31-2008, 11:05 PM
Mz

great, thanks. i had a lot of that stuff planned out before i did my first race but i realized when racing, it takes too long to really do anything other than fuel it up. i just have my pit guy temp it at the end of the race.

i also have the timer thing on my M11 but i would rather not use it just in case i forget to set it or i do something wrong.
what part of California are you from? north, south?
Old 04-01-2008, 04:26 PM
adz06

My pit man just lets a roar out of him until i nod that i have heard, other people use ear pieces.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:28 PM
musclecar64

Nik., that's one awesome system of communicating!
Old 04-01-2008, 06:35 PM
rccheech

My pit-man and I use wireless headsets.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:50 PM
adam-69

in northern ireland we yell at each other and give each other the fingers lmaooo. oj bout the last bit
Old 04-01-2008, 07:37 PM
hrdcoreglf

Pit board with a number system. If you have a good pit man he knows what is wrong with the buggy before you pull into the pits. If you watch racing at all you will notice there is not to much tuning done in the pits during a race. It is usually dialed in before the race. The pit area is used for fueling, tire change, remove or replace broken parts.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:37 PM
musclecar64

The pit area is used for fueling, tire change, remove or replace broken parts.
Dude, when I break a part during a race, it's pretty much game over.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:46 PM
rccheech

ORIGINAL: musclecar64

X 2^^^^ (unless they are mistaking the pit area for the pit lane). Or vise-versa.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:59 PM
supertool28
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: musclecar64

never give up. at my last race I lost a tire at the 2 min point and lost a tie rod at the 17 min point, but thanks to a great pim man I still finished 5th in the A main. This happened at round 1 on the GA Pro series. NEVER GIVE UP.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Nik.

ORIGINAL: Mz

great, thanks. i had a lot of that stuff planned out before i did my first race but i realized when racing, it takes too long to really do anything other than fuel it up. i just have my pit guy temp it at the end of the race.

i also have the timer thing on my M11 but i would rather not use it just in case i forget to set it or i do something wrong.
what part of California are you from? north, south?

Yeah, same. Just temp it at the end to see where its at, just because we are curious about it.

I am in Southern California.

If something breaks... for the love of god pull it off the tack. If you pop off a ball cup then its fine if you can get you pit guy or a turn marshal to pop it back on. But it really hurts to see a driver nurse a limping car around teh track. Look over your car and get it dialed in BEFORE your race!

Old 04-02-2008, 08:44 AM
slayerphonics

I love our turn marshells,

2 laps into our main one night I flip.. no big deal.. almost 3 mins later with me walking down from the stand to go flip my own truck ol'dude finally flips my truck.... the wrong way,
Ended up having some clutch problems the next lap I had to drop out, I look at my fuel tank and id used 1/2 a tank of fuel in 2 laps!
thats how long the stupid marshell left my truck fliped over.

One night I pull into the pit, my pit man isn't there.. so this girl grabs my truck and starts filling it with fuel.. So i'm like who is that putting fuel in my truck... hey wait thats not my fuel bottle! wait what fuel was that! What the F.!c.. To late the race is starting.. So i'm like well atleast I got fuel.. from who I don't know. Then this other guys truck dies during the race. It was the truck the girl was spossed to fill instead she did mine... she didn't do me any favors though cause she put 20% in it and i run 30% so my truck was kinda screwed

We use hand signals, we made up to mean certain things
Old 04-02-2008, 10:28 AM
adam-69

lol, ever ran a car with three wheels while your pitman sprints to get the one that came off? its great fun
Old 04-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Mz

if a marshall doesn't see my car when ive flipped, i usually pin it so theres no confusion. there are some pretty bad marshalls at my track. plus the drivers can get a little wound up too. theres almost always a throwdown in the sportsman A-main just cause their cars get tangled with each other.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:49 PM
phenix_racing

yeah that happened to me once the dumb marshal left my 8ight turned over for like 2 minutes. so i ran down there to flip her over lucky for me it was on the turn right after the main strait. i flipped it over and some other guy hit my foot when i was getting of the track and it hurt. i was mad at him once i got back to the drivers stand. we weren't friends after that race. i came in 3rd that race so i was happy.