Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Diff. oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 07:25 PM
sowega flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff. oil?

I've seen some references to using different types of differential oil for the front, center and rear. Can somebody tell me the purpose of using it? Whats the reason and best combo? Finally- How do you put diff. oil in?

I have a Ravager, and I took the rear diff. off the chassis- its not sealed underneath so it seems to me the oil would just run out. I'm confused about this.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:49 PM
hrdcoreglf

Default RE: Diff. oil?

The differential is inside the housing that you removed. When you look inside the housing you will see a pinion gear and a crown gear attached to the differential case. Limited slip differential (LSD), sometimes called positraction. Limited slip differentials use various mechanisms to allow normal differential action when going around turns. When a wheel slips, they allow more torque to be transferred to the non-slipping wheel. By filling them with different weight oils you can tune them to transfer power differently to the front and rear drivetrain, and wheels. You have to remove the diff from the housing. Then you open it by removing the crown gear. If you have a manual it will give you an exploded view. You would disassemble it according to the instructions. Clean it very well, then fill it with the weght oil of your choice before you closeit up. I usually fill them about 85% full. That is just the way I was shown. I am sure others may do differently. If you study the manual for a minute it will show you how to do this procedure.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:33 PM
RcRacer37E

My sons sp2 is set up with 5/7/2 (f/c/r), but diffrent tracks reqiure diffrent set ups. Thats a good starting spot. Filling them, just go slightly above the cross pins. RC411 has alot of tips and tricks that has good walk throughs, check it out and good luck.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:46 AM
sowega flyer

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'll look at the diagram and see if I can give it a shot.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:24 PM
feguez

That happen if they put silicon oil from 120,000 w? f/c/r