Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Losi Eight frying servos

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 05:35 PM
mabuecker
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Losi Eight frying servos

It is hard to explain although the throttle servo is an impact zone as well...for instance when you hit the throttle full tilt and then hit a wall(overdramatization)there is a struggle for the servo to keep full bore...
Old 05-14-2008, 05:50 PM
jonnymac

Its not to do with collisions, its a fundamental design issue with this model.
If it was down to collisions or EPA settings etc it would happen on all buggies (which it doesn't).
This model is just more susceptible to this problem. I don't even buy the noob arguement on the grounds that noobs do not buy losi 8ights exclusivley.
I have heard of no definitive fix for this problem though it is clear proper setting up will minimise it.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:06 PM
rccheech

ORIGINAL: slayerphonics

ORIGINAL: mabuecker

those are certainly the details that everybody needs...I will do...
I don't use the o-rings or tray stiffner,

I use a quality coreless hi-tec servo, 925mg rated: 172oz at .10 sec, and the proper linkage and epa setup.
Thats all it takes, no mods are needed. I have 6 gallons on that servo with no problems.
Same here, no o-rings or tray stiffner, just a good quality servo and proper linkage setup!!!
Old 05-14-2008, 06:21 PM
mabuecker
My Feedback: (8)

ok
Old 05-14-2008, 09:44 PM
KyJoe340

ORIGINAL: rccheech

ORIGINAL: slayerphonics

ORIGINAL: mabuecker

those are certainly the details that everybody needs...I will do...
I don't use the o-rings or tray stiffner,

I use a quality coreless hi-tec servo, 925mg rated: 172oz at .10 sec, and the proper linkage and epa setup.
Thats all it takes, no mods are needed. I have 6 gallons on that servo with no problems.
Same here, no o-rings or tray stiffner, just a good quality servo and proper linkage setup!!!
Again, kit or RTR? We're talking about RTR here, there is a difference.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:49 PM
rccheech

I have the kit, but I'm sure if the setup is not done correctly on the kit you would have the same problems.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:05 PM
thopper

What jonnymac said is correct.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:21 AM
slayerphonics

ORIGINAL: rccheech

I have the kit, but I'm sure if the setup is not done correctly on the kit you would have the same problems.
Correct, kit or RTR the problem is setup not kit vs rtr
Old 05-15-2008, 08:59 AM
thedr
Banned

I don't know, but it seems as if there are some here that are one way or another bound and determined to point out some sort of "design flaw" or issue with the vehicle they can't seem to work around and don't have the ability to work around. I guess in that case either this vehicle, or RCing in general, might not be the hobby for them.
If one is to waste their time grumbling, instead of spending the time wrenching, I guess they could find fault with literally any vehicle on the market - I mean, that is why they come out with new models in most cases to re-engineer a minor flaw or perceived fault in an original. But for something as simple and mundane as a throttle linkage, and properly setting and adjusting it, I just think it is way over the top to keep on the incessant whining.
For every one of you complaining, there are another hundred that are thinking "what in the hell?"
Old 05-15-2008, 02:51 PM
VBANKS

I couldn't disagree with you more. As I stated in my earlier post in this thread; many seasoned rc'ers have experienced this problem with the Losi8 and still have to tweak it to make sure they don't fry their servos. Many of them got so disgusted they jumped ship to another vehicle just to be done with it. I don't mind routine maintenance and it is something that everybody must learn to do if they want to learn, understand, and truly enjoy this hobby. However, but this servo frying issue is not routine and the fact that people are still pulling their hair out over this issue one to two years after the production of this vehicle proves that it is more complicated than you suggest. All I'm saying here is be fair and don't knock inexperienced rc'ers for this problem when they are clearly not alone.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:47 PM
thedr
Banned

I guess we can just choose to agree to disagree.
But people have been "jumping ship" from one RC to another since the dawn or RCing. And it's gonna continue to happen as long as people seek the answers to their perceived problems via buying yet another brand.
If it was somethign relevant and an actual flaw in design were something diddn't work would be one thing, but with something as simple as a throttle linkage that really has little to do with the actual car as it does with a proper build it just seems to me to be a very illogical excuse to jump ship.
I have a racing buddy that we've nicknamed SJ for just that reason, and every season he goes through several different vehicles and everyone of them seems to anger him for some reason or another and it's always blamed on a supposed design flaw - yet it always makes me laugh when someone grabs up his castoffs for fire sale prices and immediately the perceived problem disappears.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:44 PM
jonnymac

Its pure numbers mate.
There are numerous threads complaining of the issue. All of these people can't be 'incessant whiners'
The RC8 had issues when it was released, the threads complaining built up, then the revision pack was released and the threads dissapeared. The fact that these servo threads haven't dissapeared just show the issue hasn't been fully resolved.
If you haven't had problems then good for you, but don't put other unfortunate people who have down for that reason.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:24 PM
jeff211

Ok first off I just blew servo #4. And NO i'm not new to the hobby I started this thread hoping for a solution and I see that with all the diagreement that there is none at this present time. I have a savage X and a Hellfire that both run amazing lap times. I know how to drive the cars. I just want the losi to be reliable, it takes about 4-6 tanks of fuel and that's it the servos done. If anyone has a different idea to try i'm all ears.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:35 PM
xxx123

I recommed those ppl who got the servos burned check with their local track people for help....My track ppl are very helpful and 70% of them are running 8ight w/out servos burned.

8ight has a very tight servo tolerance and required skillful ppl to set it up right. If you still relying hobby shop to fix or tune engine type of ppl, I can guarantee 8ight is NOT the right buggy for you.

But, once you mastered the servo set up, 8ight will make you smile on your face....

There is no way LOSI makes all people (mature/beginner/intermiate) ppl happy.

I love my 8ight...
Old 05-15-2008, 09:35 PM
thedr
Banned

ORIGINAL: xxx123

I recommed those ppl who got the servos burned check with their local track people for help....My track ppl are very helpful and 70% of them are running 8ight w/out servos burned.

8ight has a very tight servo tolerance and required skillful ppl to set it up right. If you still relying hobby shop to fix or tune engine type of ppl, I can guarantee 8ight is NOT the right buggy for you.

But, once you mastered the servo set up, 8ight will make you smile on your face....

There is no way LOSI makes all people (mature/beginner/intermiate) ppl happy.

I love my 8ight...
WELL SAID