Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

New LOSI 8ight RTR ALready Down 2 servos!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

New LOSI 8ight RTR ALready Down 2 servos!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Skillhouette

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New LOSI 8ight RTR ALready Down 2 servos!!

I have recently purchased a Losi 8ight RTR... I am not happy with the build quality for one (lots of striped screws, including the diff housing screws!).. An second i have been through 2 servos within 4 tanks of gas (Throttle Servo). I am not new the Nitro or the 1/8th scale world... I have all of my EPA's set perfectly, I used all the rubber grommets, i set up the linkage to Losi's spec.. I have the O-rings under the battery box... ***? I am not happy... I ordered a about 15 new parts for the car yesterday including the Kings tray stiffener.. Is that supposed to help? The car did drive amazing... AN is tough as nails.. But if i go through any more servos like this its going bye bye.. I dont care what kind of servo's they are.. I had a 10 dollar throttle servo in my Mugen for 2 years.. Also i noticed.. It may be the radio... The thottle servo seems very twitchy.. Even with no load on it at all with the linkage removed... It hummms like its under a huge load... An if hit the gas/breaks a few times, sometimes i can get the servo to be still with no noise... So is it my radio that eating the servos? Please any suggestions would be great... Thanks guys... Also i tried re-binding the radio several times.. Still with no improvements..
Old 05-31-2008, 01:18 PM
rccheech

Default RE: New LOSI 8ight RTR ALready Down 2 servos!!

What type of servos did you use??? Maybe upgrade to high end servos.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:25 PM
Jim8ightT

Not to knock your skills but if you don't set them up right they will strip.. plus the rtr's are just that rtr's nothing to write home to ma about
Old 05-31-2008, 01:56 PM
Skillhouette

I said in my post, i have everything set up perfectly... The servos are NOT stripping which shows you know nothing... They are simply dying... The gears are still perfect... They were crappy servos.. I know i need to put in better servos... But like i said i've used garbage servos in a mugen i had for a year with no issues... An as far as the RTR's "not being something to write home to ma about" I found that rather rude.. But as far as that goes... There is not one thing you can point out in my car that differ's from the competition kit with all the parts i put on it... Thanks for the replys though i guess... Losi is sending me a high torque servo.. Not sure what model.. But we will see how that goes.. When i get the new engine.. I'll have just as nice of a car as any of the competition kits...
Old 05-31-2008, 05:05 PM
RevoDave

I cut the throttle spring and stopped the hummmm. Just cut off a little. I love my 8ight but the servos kill it. I have a stiffener and the eps's and the o-rings on the tray and now I have JR 9100s I think I may have it worked out. Two nights of racing and no servo problem. Watch the stiffener mine was interfering with the on off switch.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:43 PM
Nik.

I find it really funny how you use a stiffener and and oring to add the flex back. Lulz.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:59 PM
hkenvy91

to me its a mystery! i myself used a decent analog hitech when i had mine and i never had a problem, not once.and ive seen a guy at the track blow 2 jr9000's in one day
Old 06-01-2008, 10:28 AM
xxx123

ORIGINAL: Skillhouette

... The servos are NOT stripping which shows you know nothing... ... An as far as the RTR's "not being something to write home to ma about" I found that rather rude..
Do you think you are also rude by saying " The servos are NOT stripping which shows you know nothing" Good attitude in the forums to get help...good luck!!!!

Old 06-01-2008, 10:59 AM
rckt_mtrspts
Banned

ORIGINAL: xxx123

... The servos are NOT stripping which shows you know nothing... ... An as far as the RTR's "not being something to write home to ma about" I found that rather rude..
Do you think you are also rude by saying " The servos are NOT stripping which shows you know nothing" Good attitude in the forums to get help...good luck!!!!

+1

I always wonder about anyone that professes their level of experience and expertise and yet still buys an RTD expecting off-the-chart perfection and durability.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Jim8ightT

I said in my post, i have everything set up perfectly... The servos are NOT stripping which shows you know nothing... They are simply dying... The gears are still perfect... They were crappy servos.. I know i need to put in better servos... But like i said i've used garbage servos in a mugen i had for a year with no issues... An as far as the RTR's "not being something to write home to ma about" I found that rather rude.. But as far as that goes... There is not one thing you can point out in my car that differ's from the competition kit with all the parts i put on it... Thanks for the replys though i guess... Losi is sending me a high torque servo.. Not sure what model.. But we will see how that goes.. When i get the new engine.. I'll have just as nice of a car as any of the competition kits...
I find your assumtions to be outlandish and servo motors only die under a constant load wich you are buring out the motor in the servo. it is no mystery they are dying!!! I have 18 years with rc and i have done the same thing!!! and it was my fault not the company. People are trying to help all you can do is to stick on you were right if so there would be only one servo down!!! If you don't want help then don't ask..........................Thank you james
Old 06-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Mugen Mbx5

If you own a Mugen, I don't understand why you purchased a RTR for you next vehicle. Why would you puta cheap servo in it? Cheap servos on the throttle/brake in a buggy is not a good thing 1. Brakes are horriable 2. When they strip or burn up your running the risk of a run away. I probably shouldn't say this,but I have yet to burn a servo out in my 8ight.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:52 PM
rckt_mtrspts
Banned

ORIGINAL: Mugen Mbx5

If you own a Mugen, I don't understand why you purchased a RTR for you next vehicle. Why would you puta cheap servo in it? Cheap servos on the throttle/brake in a buggy is not a good thing 1. Brakes are horriable 2. When they strip or burn up your running the risk of a run away. I probably shouldn't say this,but I have yet to burn a servo out in my 8ight.
That way they can blame EVERYTHING on the manufacturer and aleviate themselves of all blame and responsibility.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:28 PM
xxx123

ORIGINAL: JatoJim

I find your assumtions to be outlandish and servo motors only die under a constant load wich you are buring out the motor in the servo. it is no mystery they are dying!!! I have 18 years with rc and i have done the same thing!!! and it was my fault not the company. People are trying to help all you can do is to stick on you were right if so there would be only one servo down!!! If you don't want help then don't ask..........................Thank you james
+1
Old 06-01-2008, 11:32 PM
KyJoe340

Skillhouette,
I hate it when someone comes on this forum asking for help and most of the response they get is from people with kit 8ights making false assumptions about what they are doing wrong. Some people want to put all of the blame on the user when the fact is NO OTHER BUG HAS THIS PROBLEM! There is a difference between a RTR and a kit 8ight.

I got my third servo to live but only after a motor change. My buddy, a very experienced RC'er went through 7.
I always wonder about anyone that professes their level of experience and expertise and yet still buys an RTD expecting off-the-chart perfection and durability
What the heck? It sounds to me like a guy that wants to go around the track more than a couple of tanks without burning a servo, pretty simple stuff. Pick any other RTR buggy made, it will atleast do that.
That way they can blame EVERYTHING on the manufacturer and aleviate themselves of all blame and responsibility.
If anyone came on this forum and said they burned up 4 servos on their MBX5R, I would be the first to tell them they are doing something wrong. The fact is week after week ever since the RTR 8ight came out there are threads of people burning servos even after proper setup, rubber washers, tray stiffeners etc. This problem simply doesn't exist with any other bug.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:01 AM
Mugen Mbx5

The Losi might be "a little" harder on servos than other buggys, I don't know for sure because I only have about 1 1/2 gallons through mine but if your using RTR or $10 servos they won't last long on any buggy. I don't doubut there might be a problem,but it can be minimal with the right set up and quality servos. I am a gas/brake gas/brake driver (no rolling through corners)worse than anyone and 1 1/2 gallons I haven't had a failure yet.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:25 AM
JsK

Skill

I'm not sure about the Losi carb but when I did my RC8 I pulled the air cleaner and watched
the carb slide.At a certain point the slide was fully retracted out of the bore(flush with the venturi)
but still had a bit more movement left.
So when I set up my end points It left a small amount overtravel in the linkage since the carb
could still open slightly more than the servo would pull at that end point setting.Are your
servos dying pulling the throttle or pushing on the brake? I guess what I was trying
to do is leave a little more carb travel in case the chassis flexed while at full throttle.
I guess you could test this by setting your end points
really low so there is no way you can pull the servo past a certain point even
with chassis flex. You would prob want to pull the
throttle return spring for this test also or put one on just light enough to pull
the carb shut but not to stress the servo. I'd keep
it nice and close to you just in case something bad happens though.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Safety Hawk
My Feedback: (6)

I'm not fully convinced its not just crappy JR/Spektrum servos that are the problem. On my first 8ight I burnt up two 590's, two 270's and one 650. And I know for fact that after the first one burned up that I had the next four setup correctly......and its not like I drive around with the hammer down the whole time. My track doesn't allow for that anyhow. But after all those servos burned up I switched to a Hitec HS-5625 Digital and I haven't had problem since. I'm on my second 8ight now and I'm still using that same Hitec servo that I was using in my first 8ight......and I've been using that servo in an 8ight for a year and half now. I'm not using the tray stiffener or the O rings and everything is working fine. So I ask, how many people have burned up a servo in an 8ight that was not a 590, 270 or a 650?
Old 06-02-2008, 09:12 AM
slayerphonics

Everyone who is burning servos,

STOP BEING SO BULLHEADED KNOWITALL, I HAVE IT SETUP PERFECT,

Because you don't, your setup is wrong and thats why your popping servos,

And you will probably never fix it because your so bullheaded.

You don't need O-rings, or tray hardners

HAH [8D]
Old 06-02-2008, 09:44 AM
rckt_mtrspts
Banned

ORIGINAL: KyJoe340
I hate it when someone comes on this forum asking for help and most of the response they get is from people with kit 8ights making false assumptions about what they are doing wrong. Some people want to put all of the blame on the user when the fact is NO OTHER BUG HAS THIS PROBLEM! There is a difference between a RTR and a kit 8ight.
You are correct, there is a huge difference. RTR refers to Ready-To-Run - and not Ready-To-Race.

I got my third servo to live but only after a motor change. My buddy, a very experienced RC'er went through 7.
Now what, are you blaming it on the motor or are you suggesting you finally figured out the linkage adjustment?

What the heck? It sounds to me like a guy that wants to go around the track more than a couple of tanks without burning a servo, pretty simple stuff. Pick any other RTR buggy made, it will atleast do that.
I am not aware of a single RTR on the market that comes with quality servos. I am not aware of a single one in which the user did not have to swap out the servos in a relatively short period of time. And I am not aware of a single one in which the user kept up the maddening act of using the same servo while expecting different results and was successfull in their quest for perfection.

If anyone came on this forum and said they burned up 4 servos on their MBX5R, I would be the first to tell them they are doing something wrong. The fact is week after week ever since the RTR 8ight came out there are threads of people burning servos even after proper setup, rubber washers, tray stiffeners etc. This problem simply doesn't exist with any other bug.
I've yet to meet a real racer that bought a RTR kit, MBX5R or not, that got perfection out of the box on something that was put together on an assemblyline by underpaid overseas workers or one that expected it. And I've yet to meet a rookie racer that knew proper setup or any other tricks of the trade.

I am sorry you have not been willing to listen to people that honestly wanted to assist you and that you have turned this into a product bashing thread. Maybe the manufacturers would be better off installing $150 servos from the get-go and then they wouldn't have to listen to so many aimless complaints and consumers would be forced to stomach a price increase that would keep the uninitiated and unskilled out of the hobby.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Mugen Mbx5

ORIGINAL: rckt_mtrspts

You are correct, there is a huge difference. RTR refers to Ready-To-Run - and not Ready-To-Race.

Now what, are you blaming it on the motor or are you suggesting you finally figured out the linkage adjustment?

I am not aware of a single RTR on the market that comes with quality servos. I am not aware of a single one in which the user did not have to swap out the servos in a relatively short period of time. And I am not aware of a single one in which the user kept up the maddening act of using the same servo while expecting different results and was successfull in their quest for perfection.

I've yet to meet a real racer that bought a RTR kit, MBX5R or not, that got perfection out of the box on something that was put together on an assemblyline by underpaid overseas workers or one that expected it. And I've yet to meet a rookie racer that knew proper setup or any other tricks of the trade.

I am sorry you have not been willing to listen to people that honestly wanted to assist you and that you have turned this into a product bashing thread. Maybe the manufacturers would be better off installing $150 servos from the get-go and then they wouldn't have to listen to so many aimless complaints and consumers would be forced to stomach a price increase that would keep the uninitiated and unskilled out of the hobby.
Well said!!
Heres an Idea, convert it to brushless/lipo, problem solved no more throttle/brake servo.[:-]
Old 06-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Safety Hawk
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: Mugen Mbx5

Well said!!
Heres an Idea, convert it to brushless/lipo, problem solved no more throttle/brake servo.[:-]
Haha.....Instead people will just be puffing or blowing up lipos.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:26 PM
KyJoe340

Actually, I think the 427 may have something to do with it. You can get the throttle servo to live on a RTR but the sweet spot is much smaller than on the kit.
I'll just throw one out there, let's say a Turmoil. Probably has the same servos but they don't burn up on the second tank. Do a search on the Turmoil thread and make yourself "aware".
I had a TNX a couple of years ago, I think it had a Futaba 3003. a $15 servo at best. 8 gallons and 2 motors later it's still there.
I am sorry you have not been willing to listen to people that honestly wanted to assist you and that you have turned this into a product bashing thread.
I never bashed Losi. I still have a MF2 and XXX4, and I loved how my 8ight drove. I was merely pointing out people with kits don't understand that there is a difference between it and the RTR. And people posting problems with theie RTR's are being anwered by people who want to blame them and tell them they don't know what they're doing.

"Not willing to listen". First, can't you read? My third servo lived even before washers and tray stiffeners. This isn't about me, I've been doing this since '87 and my first Tamiya frog. I'm listening to everyone who posts with problems week after week. I listen to several that post and try to help, thanks for that. But for the ones that come on here and tell everyone it's their fault and there's no problem with the RTR, it's just not true.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:56 PM
slayerphonics

I'm not trying to be rude but I hear this all the time. Just because you've been driving RCs for 20 years, doesn't mean that you will have some unconscience awareness of what the correct setup is.

The fact is if your blowing servos your setup is wrong.

I was at the track with my new 8ight, 20 mins my throttle servo blows, A guy experienced with the 8ight comes over to give me a hand, in a matter of 20 seconds he showed me what I had done incorrectly on the linkage, and showed me where it was binding was.
I took his advice, because i've seen him run countless times with his 8ight with no problems, since then and 3 motors later the servo is in perfect order.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:00 PM
rckt_mtrspts
Banned

ORIGINAL: slayerphonics

I'm not trying to be rude but I hear this all the time. Just because you've been driving RCs for 20 years, doesn't mean that you will have some unconscience awareness of what the correct setup is.

The fact is if your blowing servos your setup is wrong.

I was at the track with my new 8ight, 20 mins my throttle servo blows, A guy experienced with the 8ight comes over to give me a hand, in a matter of 20 seconds he showed me what I had done incorrectly on the linkage, and showed me where it was binding was.
I took his advice, because i've seen him run countless times with his 8ight with no problems, since then and 3 motors later the servo is in perfect order.
+1 [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 06-02-2008, 01:14 PM
rckt_mtrspts
Banned

Actually, I think the 427 may have something to do with it. You can get the throttle servo to live on a RTR but the sweet spot is much smaller than on the kit.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Ready-To-Race kit comes with no motor. Comparing the race kit to its Ready-To-Run sibling is kind of silly.

I'll just throw one out there, let's say a Turmoil. Probably has the same servos but they don't burn up on the second tank. Do a search on the Turmoil thread and make yourself "aware".
I had a TNX a couple of years ago, I think it had a Futaba 3003. a $15 servo at best. 8 gallons and 2 motors later it's still there.
Again, two fine examples of Runners neither of which are race vehicles.

I never bashed Losi. I still have a MF2 and XXX4, and I loved how my 8ight drove. I was merely pointing out people with kits don't understand that there is a difference between it and the RTR. And people posting problems with theie RTR's are being anwered by people who want to blame them and tell them they don't know what they're doing.
IMHO anyone that buys an RTR, or applicably name Ready-To-Run, and expects it to be race worthy are asking for problems and only getting what they're paying for. A Runner, not a Racer.

I remember reading something a long time ago that said, "repeating a behavior and expecting different results is a sign of insanity." That being said, throwing the same RTR/cheap/lesser quality servo at a truck and expecting something different to happen is silly! Repeating the behavior more than once, well ~

"Not willing to listen". First, can't you read? My third servo lived even before washers and tray stiffeners. This isn't about me, I've been doing this since '87 and my first Tamiya frog. I'm listening to everyone who posts with problems week after week. I listen to several that post and try to help, thanks for that. But for the ones that come on here and tell everyone it's their fault and there's no problem with the RTR, it's just not true.
I learned how to read quite well way back in elementary school, and one of my college degrees in English only supports the idea that I know how. But I will just suggest that what slayerphonics said holds a lot of water, and unless you have some kind of insider tips to give people all you are doing in exasperating the argument between those that don't know and those that do and were just trying to help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.