Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

When to Change Your Clutchbell?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 10:42 PM
musclecar64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to Change Your Clutchbell?

How do you know when your clutchbell goes bad? I don't think it's ever happened to me, but then again, I don't know what to look for. I've always thought they last practically forever. By the way, I'm talking about wear on the inside, not the teeth.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:52 PM
youwish16

Default RE: When to Change Your Clutchbell?

im not really sure but im thinking that the clutch shoes are what wear and not the clutchbell. after a while aluminum shoes will wear down, depositing aluminum on the inside of the clutchbell so after every run i take the clutch bell of and sand the inside off of it to clean it.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:49 PM
musclecar64

Yeah, I know aluminum is much less durable than hardened steel, but you have to wonder, is there any wear going on with the steel? lol
Old 07-20-2008, 07:45 AM
cltcrns

Clutch bells should last for years if you keep your eye on the shoes and they don't wear to the point to where they start to chew on the bell. If you are using aluminum shoes they wear much faster and can damage the bell if not watched, pay attention to any grooves the shoes may form in the bell and of course glazing is much more of a problem when aluminum shoes are used. I am using the same 3 clutch bells I have for probably a little over 5 years, of course hundreds of bearings have been through them.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:30 AM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: musclecar64

How do you know when your clutchbell goes bad? I don't think it's ever happened to me, but then again, I don't know what to look for. I've always thought they last practically forever. By the way, I'm talking about wear on the inside, not the teeth.

what clutch....what truck....what kind of track do u run on ? what have u tried already as per shoes ?