Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
 Having Trouble Selecting First Car >

Having Trouble Selecting First Car

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Having Trouble Selecting First Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having Trouble Selecting First Car

Ok, i am COMPLETELY new to Nitro R/C

I've been to my local hobby store, and out of 2 more "beginner" cars (the EB-4 and Virus) i was recommended the Virus, now after reading [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7155572/anchors_7155572/mpage_1/key_Virus/anchor/tm.htm#7155572]this[/link] i'm not so sure anymore.

And i've just ditched the poll now.. [>:]
Old 11-01-2008, 07:48 AM
DS

Default RE: Having Trouble Selecting First Car

whats your budget??
Old 11-01-2008, 08:00 AM

Like, about $550 AU MAX.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:02 AM

cen matrix,ofna hyper 7 tq sport,both good at about 300 us
Old 11-01-2008, 09:06 AM

Matrix is like $650 AU, so no..
Old 11-01-2008, 09:19 AM

your options are very limited with that budget,i would save my money,and get my bank up...so you can afford something decent
Old 11-01-2008, 09:28 AM

I don't want somthing too good to start off with, because i will probably break it.. =\
Old 11-01-2008, 11:09 AM

lol noobletyes you do cheap 1s bust alot easyer.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok givin your budget I would suggest the himoto rxb-1...its around $330 us and I think that converts to under 550au...I have one of these buggies and have beat the tar out of it and it ask for more...it handles well and a breeze to maintain...you will most likely have to order parts online but I have heard from others down under that they get their parts pretty fast....but to be honest the only parts that I broke on mine so far is from jumping it approx 12 ft in the air and landing on the throttle (broke one tooth off the rear pinion and the center diff planetaries were messed up, but it still ran)...total cost to repair it was under $15..if you dont get totally crazy with it I dont see how you would need alotta parts..It's a very well built buggy and worth way more then I payed for it...I would suggest emailing them and seeing what the time frame on receiving parts would be.. Also himoto has its own support forum here on rcu with a buncha guys eager to help new rc owners...come by and check out the forum.. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/foru...smode_1/tt.htm
Old 11-01-2008, 05:26 PM

Hi Mate,

Google Plaig RC hobbies, this bloke sells Bazooka's and B1 Pro's (same as RXB-1), as this is your first car they are relatively cheap (im sure he could supply a 1:8 buggy for less than $550), but more importantly this bloke will give you support better than most hobby shops, which is wnat you want as your first car is always a steep learning curve.

He runs his own forum as well(another source of info), and lastly he is cheap and based in aus!

Old 11-01-2008, 05:34 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Hyper 7
http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/pr...oducts_id=9225
Old 11-01-2008, 06:35 PM

after reading the link to the thread you posted about the virus I would have to agree with most of the responding posts to that guys problems.. people just getting into nitro rc make mistakes...beleive me I made mine..
fortunatly for me I had good support to keep me at it..and although I am by far not an rc expert, I now can take my buggies out and have fun with very min. breakage...I'm also fortunate to not only have the address and email to the guy I order my himotos and parts from, I also have his cell # and home phone #. although I've never called him with troubles due to getting my support from himoto support here on rcu, (which by the way he is on frequently) its nice to know I had that option..it's sad to say but if you seek support in general threads with a so called "cheap chinese crap" rc, you will most likely get told how much of a piece you have and thats what you get for buying it... when the fact is that any trouble you incounter with your rc could and prolly would happen no matter which rc you buy.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:27 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HSP-BAZOOKA-1...1%7C240%3A1318

Ok, heres the Bazooka that is listed on Plaig Hobbys, for $100 less O.o

Do you think it is of better quality then the Virus or EB-4?
Old 11-01-2008, 08:40 PM

Save your money bro.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:41 PM

I cant comment on the quality of those two buggies as I have not owned or used either of them, I do however have a Bazooka and can say it is very durable, it is not a high end buggy by any stretch but from what I have seen personally and at the local track they are quite good for the money.

If you can get the car cheaper that is great, 90% of people still buy there parts/hop ups from Plaig as the ebay sellers have little to no support after the purchase.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:22 PM

Dam.. i still don't know [:'(]

I'll figure it out soon...

Thanks for the help so far.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:23 PM

I own both the torpeda (bazooka) and the rxb-1 (b1 pro.)...although Bisdog is correct the bazooka is a durable buggy I find the b1 pro far better..not taking anything away from the bazooka but the b1 pro is just in a different class. try the fella that Bisdog mentioned..your way better off by building a relationship with someone rather then shoping around ebay..and from the way it sounds that fella is a class act and will most likely take good care of you...contact him and see what the price difference is..
Old 11-01-2008, 09:35 PM

I already have a really good relationship with my local hobby store, so i would prefer to buy from them, they were offering the Virus at $420 AU or EB-4 at $440 AU
Old 11-01-2008, 09:42 PM

I've never heard of a virus but the way it sounds its a pretty good knock off of a ofna 7...so prolly alotta parts will interchange...and the 7 seems to be a pretty popular suggestion...I know a couple dudes that have eb-4's and love them...so who knows...if your local lhs is a buncha bang up guys I'd really look at their stuff close..I would learn how to maintain it myself and not let them do all the work cause that could become expensive...but like I said if they are bang up guys they will be happy to show ya the ropes.. Himoto has just been awsome to me and their products are priced great and ive had limited trouble..my closest real lhs is 120 miles one way...so I'd be doing most my shopping online anyways so it works out great...just enjoy your buggy
Old 11-01-2008, 09:49 PM

The guys are gunna help me with my first tank and everything, they are pretty awsome, but, i have to decide what to buy first >_<

I think i'll just go with the virus, because as things break, i can just order Hyper 7 parts (higher quality?), from what i have heard.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:58 PM

If you are happy with your LHS then I would go for the Virus, purely because of its Hyper 7 characteristics(there would be no issues sourcing parts when you need them), if the LHS are great the last thing you want to do is buy else where, as suggested above forge a good relationship with them and you will have greater success and ultimately greater fun!

PS, have you asked them what they believe to be the better car out of the two?

Old 11-01-2008, 10:04 PM

Yes, i asked which was better, i was told the EB-4 is good, and he has seen many of them go around the track, but the virus is much newer (apparently..) and just certain characteristics like a better center of gravity lead him to recommend the virus.

Oh and, i already have a good relationship with them in the "warhammer" hobby, so i know them well, and my brother recently bought an MG10, so they actually know most of the family now, and parts are easy to get from them, it would be nice to keep buying from them.

Virus wins?
Old 11-02-2008, 12:37 AM

Okay, just a quick update, i've been reading up more on the virus, doesn't sound too.. good..

At my lhs i found this [link=http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DOMINATOR-1-8-SCALE-BUGGY_W0QQitemZ180283367787QQihZ008QQcategoryZ1916 8QQcmdZViewItem]Dominator[/link] but i have no clue what the brand is, and then theres [link=http://cgi.ebay.com.au/KYOSHO-INFERNO-1-8-SCALE-BUGGY_W0QQitemZ180286305979QQihZ008QQcategoryZ1916 8QQcmdZViewItem]this[/link], the Kyosho Inferno, but it's the most expensive, and may only JUST fit in my budget

Anyone know anything about the Dominator?

In total now, i have the choice of

+ Virus RTR
+ EB-4 RTR
+ Dominator RTR
+ Kyosho Inferno RTR
Old 11-02-2008, 02:09 AM

Looks like a XTM XT2
Old 11-02-2008, 02:10 AM

Probably just a copy..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.