Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

What are Pro drivers paid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 11:31 PM
bweiler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are Pro drivers paid?

Do top pro drivers take a salary from their sponsers? or do they only get subsidized, like plane tickets? or do all they get is equipment like cars and fuel? Just curious.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:37 PM
Druss

Default RE: What are Pro drivers paid?

I'm not one so I wouldn't know exactly but I do know a couple of sponsored heli pilots and the answer is, it depends.

The level of sponsorship is entirely dependant on how good you are. The lowest level would be supplied equipment, second would be subsidized travel to attend events, the last would be paid team driver. With each level up it obviously also includes the lower level items too.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:52 PM
HandyRacing

I wonder too. It seems a pretty good gig to play with toy cars.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:08 AM
marcus falconieri

The top guys are paid 6 figures after all the contingencys and the companys pay for every thing.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:56 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

There are different levels. Some not only drive but work for the company like Drake. Some have a 100% and only get paid by what races they place in the top 3 but get all there stuff for free. Then you have smaller levers like 50% where the drive pays %50 for there items and still get paid if they place in the top 3 in big races. Most pros have more then one sponsor.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Kdog3.3

6 figures[X(] thats insane for rc cars. Looks like i have a new career path to consider
Old 11-22-2008, 07:59 PM
romax

Me too . Are there any 42 year old rookies ?
Old 11-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Tree1

I saw an interview with Adam Drake and the interviewer asked "How much can someon make playing with toy cars?" Adam drake replied, " Top drivers can easily clear 6 figures a year." I was shocked to hear that the top pro drivers make that much coin. It is time to groom my 4 year old son to learn to drive these toy cars.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:47 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Don't forget that pro drivers are also on the engineering development teams of the products they sponsor. It isn't just practice and show up at events. The drivers are also one of the main marketing resources of a company. Good drivers bring in a lot of business. So on top of driving, they are technically savvy, understand marketing and ALSO drive.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:08 PM
Druss

Sponsorship is good for both sides. The companies wouldn't pay, or even supply free equipment, if they didn't benefit from it in some way. Look through a RC magazine and see how many drivers are standing in an ad holding the manufacturers car.

If you think it's bad for RC, try to imagine making 6 figures playing video games for a living....
Old 11-23-2008, 08:26 AM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There are many jobs that can make that a mount of money easily, and simple jobs too, but don't think those guys will only drive their cars when they want, it is a full time job.
When we go to the track, we go to have fun, but them, they always go to work, they are almost obligated to win, they are required to help people to promote the hobby and help with the product they have to support, so sometimes pro-drivers will spend the time helping others and not driving, the engineering part as said before takes a lot of time an office.

Yuichi Kanai said he would like to have more time at the track but the office job don't let him, or something like that.

Yes, some of them might make 6 figures, but they have to work for it, is not simply go to the track to have fun and get paid.

Remember, to work its do bad, people have to pay you to do it, knowing this, think about the fun this guys have, when for what car racing is our hobby, its a job for them...
Old 11-24-2008, 04:04 PM
youwish16

i read in a mag interview, 1 driver said they can make $1,000 a race and can race 3-4 times a month. thats not including sponsorship..thats just winnings
Old 11-25-2008, 03:02 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

How much would a top of the line rig that these 6 figure racers race with? I mean at this level of driving you have to have some serious money right?
Old 11-25-2008, 07:43 AM
RR Mods

Well about 500.00 for your roller,400.00 for a mill and pipe,anyware from 400.00 to a 1000.00 for radio,reciver and servos,then all your extra parts,fule,plugs,starter box,glow starter,and mis. trax equpment.You got a top of the line rig for about 2 grand+.....[:@]
Old 11-25-2008, 11:06 AM
jonnymac

Except they don't pay for any of it so it doesn't matter.
Manufacturer sponsors the car, Engine sponsor provides the engine etc.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:18 PM
biggame

Alot if not most of that "6 Figures" is incentives. There most likely isn't a pro that get a salary of 100K. Unless he has a full time position with a very large company. The way sponsorships have worked for the last decade (RC, Cycling and even football/baseball etc.) is that the base salary is pretty low and you bonus and incentives is where the real money comes in. If you hustle and get a lot of sponsors all of those salaries can be pretty decent (but still incentive driven). No A main at the world championship, no bonus. No top 5 finishes at the nationals, no bonus. Drive the box van, set up the tents, hang signs and banners and place top 10 = a good payday.

Not to down any of our pro's as they deserve what they are getting. But this hobby is for the love of it. You'll see that most of the racers are employees of RC companies. Local racers are part of a club. Club members put on local races. It is truly for the love and the opportunity to get a job with a RC company or start a company of their own. Not for a big payday. If you want that, go play baseball!

James
Old 11-25-2008, 08:41 PM
RR Mods

LOL.hit the nail on the head
Old 11-26-2008, 07:10 AM
HandyRacing

Or....

Love the racing as a hobby and start a RC Web-zine promoting the action / programs you like to help pay a few of the bills...

www.HandyRacing.com
Old 12-01-2008, 12:50 AM
infernos777

the number of pros "clearing 6-figures" from RC income is small enough to count on 2 hands.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:07 PM
gokartingbob455

so do pro's sponsers pay for there traveling expenses? or do they have to pay for like plane tickets and stuff?