Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Which allen wrench set do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 09:19 PM
kman43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which allen wrench set do I need?

I have a Losi 8ight kit and I need an allen wrench set. Nothing (tooo) expensive but something that has quality that will do the trick for most of the screws. Amain or Tower would be fine for me to purchase from but whatever! I am new to the Losi buggy. Do I need Metric or Standard? And which set will do the majority of my needs for adjusting? Thanks
Old 12-07-2008, 09:54 PM
IvanG
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Which allen wrench set do I need?

I would buy dynamite .5 to 3mm drivers. I believe they have a set.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:07 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: kman43

I have a Losi 8ight kit and I need an allen wrench set. Nothing (tooo) expensive but something that has quality that will do the trick for most of the screws. Amain or Tower would be fine for me to purchase from but whatever! I am new to the Losi buggy. Do I need Metric or Standard? And which set will do the majority of my needs for adjusting? Thanks
The best allen wrenches I have come across are Bondhus, Made in teh USA.

In the pic, I ruined the 2.5mm wrench on a high grade German steel grub screw. I also tried to use an HPI allen (made of Taiwan steel), but I stopped without even applying half the force I dod on teh Bondhus. If I would have applied teh same force on the HPI wrench as I did on my American Bondhus, I would have twisted that Taiwan steel into a pretzle

Bondhus is not oo expensive either, cost me liek $8 USD, you may be able to find them for $10 CD
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75682.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1085893  
Old 12-07-2008, 11:57 PM
*FULL-REVS*

a use a set called "top pro" they are metric and have never failed getting a screw/bolt out yet
Old 12-08-2008, 02:07 AM
Ozmick

I bought a small thunder tiger set from my lhs to take out with me which has a full range of the sizes you will need plus phillips and flat blade screw drivers.
I also have my Bluepoint/Snap-On tool set at home in the shed for major overhauling.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:35 AM
INTEGRA

LOSI's Use STANDARD hardwarre.......NOT metric.......Kman43...get the losi tools.....you'll thank youself in the end.....Trust me.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:47 PM
kman43

Thanks Integra. I read your posts all the time. Is this what you are talking about. Is U.S sizes (standard.) Thanks again. Ken. Any other tools worth picking up when I order for my Losi 8ight Buggy? http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/5527
Old 12-08-2008, 03:55 PM
pyromania

Actually, I think losi uses both metric and standard. The whole buggy uses metric and the engine uses standard. I have the JConcepts standard hex tools and the Align metric hex tools. They are a little expensive but, they have never stripped or broken so I would always recommend them to anybody.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:22 PM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: pyromania

Actually, I think losi uses both metric and standard. The whole buggy uses metric and the engine uses standard. I have the JConcepts standard hex tools and the Align metric hex tools. They are a little expensive but, they have never stripped or broken so I would always recommend them to anybody.

5/64 can be used as a 2mm.....but for the most part he needs the losi tools......a 2.5mm for head bolts and other Rc related stuff can be bought as a single driver....i really like my small Dynamite 2 and 2.5mm if losi's released the camber guage and ride height guage those are also needed items...more so the ride height guage as the losi's are REAL particular on the ride height.....if its off 2-3mm the car wont perform as it should.....also if you dont have caliper's for measuring droop...that would be another item to have....the list goes on.....[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

the motor mount on the losi IS NOT metric....its 3/32 5-40 and if your using metric you've messed up something Big time Pyro. the crank however will be metric yes.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:27 PM
gokartingbob455

i use dynamite on my rc8...i think the sizes are the same for the 8ight.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:39 PM
kman43

Thank you. Good to know.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:33 PM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: gokartingbob455

i use dynamite on my rc8...i think the sizes are the same for the 8ight.

No your rc8 uses Metric hardware if i remember correctly.....Losi is one of very few companies who still use US Standard size hardware.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:03 PM
gokartingbob455

errk, my bad[]. you right i looked at some of the nuts at the bottom and they said 12.8 or 12.6. (lol nuts...bottom)
Old 12-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Nik.

if you need tools, get a good set of drivers. I have some AE factory team and Integy drivers and they are the shiznit. They are more expensive, but are well worth it.

as far as little allen key L wrenches, I agree in that Bondhus are the best.for $7 or @8 you can get a full set of metric or standard, ball end or straight. But I still recommend a set of drivers.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Chris_RC

I have the Losi set and they are VERY good. I have had them for 6 years and all I had to do was give a little shave off the top and they rounded a little over time but now they are like new.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:46 PM
INTEGRA

errk, my bad[]. you right i looked at some of the nuts at the bottom and they said 12.8 or 12.6. (lol nuts...bottom)

those #'s are in refferance to the grade of steel they are....Not the sizes.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:20 PM
SManMTB

Losi and AE = standard sizes.
TTR makes a good set. I've been usi9ng TTR tools and they are good.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:32 PM
gokartingbob455

ORIGINAL: INTEGRA

those #'s are in refferance to the grade of steel they are....Not the sizes.

dang im having an off day. lol
Old 12-08-2008, 10:14 PM
kman43

I have decided to go with the Losi set. All the input was helpfull. Thanks for helping me decide. Ken
Old 12-09-2008, 09:48 AM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: SManMTB

Losi and AE = standard sizes.

WRONG.....AE uses Metric like ive already stated.....losi is of the ONLY companies that still rock US standard.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:30 PM
pyromania

ORIGINAL: INTEGRA

5/64 can be used as a 2mm.....but for the most part he needs the losi tools......a 2.5mm for head bolts and other Rc related stuff can be bought as a single driver....i really like my small Dynamite 2 and 2.5mm if losi's released the camber guage and ride height guage those are also needed items...more so the ride height guage as the losi's are REAL particular on the ride height.....if its off 2-3mm the car wont perform as it should.....also if you dont have caliper's for measuring droop...that would be another item to have....the list goes on.....[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

the motor mount on the losi IS NOT metric....its 3/32 5-40 and if your using metric you've messed up something Big time Pyro. the crank however will be metric yes.
I didn't mean the motor mounts but just the engine in general. The head bolts and back plates use metric but I guess you can use standard. If you are going to get another car then I would just get both.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Nik.

I didn't mean the motor mounts but just the engine in general. The head bolts and back plates use metric but I guess you can use standard. If you are going to get another car then I would just get both.
the engine is not considered the car, is it? losi doesn't even make engines unless you count the rtr ones, and those are sh.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:00 PM
pyromania

ORIGINAL: Nik.

the engine is not considered the car, is it? losi doesn't even make engines unless you count the rtr ones, and those are sh.
whatever, all I meant was he is going to have to work on his engine some time in the future. No? Most engines use metric but I guess you could use standard.

I agree with integra, you should get a camber, toe-in, and ride height gauge, really helpful tools.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:04 PM
kman43

Alrighty, I will add camber, toe-in, and ride height gauges to my amain shopping cart. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:00 PM
kman43

I can find camber, droop and ride height gauges but I can't seem to find a toe-in gauge unless I am not understanding all there functions. Ride height and camber are self explanatory. I had a hard time with droop but I set my Losi 8ight up to one of Drakes specs to start by using a digital caliper tool and setting the distance between the top and bottom shock screws by adjusting the grub screw on the bottom a-arm to, (95mm on the front shocks and 106mm on the back) if this is how you do it. I know what toe is but can't find anything. A link would be appreciated so I can see where to buy or what I'm looking for. Thanks. Ken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.