Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Nitro exhaust blinded me in Pits

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 04:33 PM
bweiler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro exhaust blinded me in Pits

Wow, I don't know what happened but i was pitting and suddenly my eyes hurt so bad I couldn't see. I almost panicked trying to get out the pit area. Is there any advice?
Old 12-08-2008, 04:35 PM
HandyRacing

Default RE: Nitro exhaust blinded me in Pits

I wonder if China puts Melamine in the fuel? Go brushless.

Update: Oh, what the heck, here's a link: http://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35622

Old 12-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Long before I knew about the heat-cycle method to break-in engines, I was doing it anyway...unknowingly. I could only stand the fumes so long in my basement, so I'd shut down, run outside, and once the fumes had cleared, I'd flash it (the now cold engine) up again.

I agree....it can sting.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:45 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Get a gas mask.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:49 PM
INTEGRA

Full face masks are Not cheep.,....150+ for sure...and a regular respirator will only help the throat and nose....Unfortunatly the only way to prevent the eye burn is to face the exhaust away from you when you can....and ask buddy pitting beside you to do the same...... and that is if there's some reason you HAVE to sit in pit row....but other then a Full face mask your screwed....[sm=lol.gif]
Old 12-08-2008, 08:06 PM
SManMTB

ORIGINAL: Argess

Long before I knew about the heat-cycle method to break-in engines, I was doing it anyway...unknowingly. I could only stand the fumes so long in my basement, so I'd shut down, run outside, and once the fumes had cleared, I'd flash it (the now cold engine) up again.

I agree....it can sting.
Get some rubber hose from your local auto parts store and run the exhausts out the door/window. That's what I've been doing for a while and it works great. Reduces noise a lot too. I've got 15ft connected to the exhaust.

As for fumues in the pits..... well screw it, it's part of racing LOL

Old 12-08-2008, 08:07 PM
bweiler

This only happened once. There was a lot of exhaust in the air but at other times there was as much but I was ok. Maybe the guy next to me was running something sinister.

Somebody said googles are the way to go.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:30 PM
mabuecker
My Feedback: (8)

believe it or not after so long you get used..every now in then it chokes ya up..what gets me is when im standing next to a newborn baby(start'em out young)which has happened..i try to space myself from little kids,its not like they have much choice
Old 12-08-2008, 08:35 PM
gokartingbob455

ORIGINAL: INTEGRA

Full face masks are Not cheep.,....150+ for sure...and a regular respirator will only help the throat and nose....Unfortunatly the only way to prevent the eye burn is to face the exhaust away from you when you can....and ask buddy pitting beside you to do the same...... and that is if there's some reason you HAVE to sit in pit row....but other then a Full face mask your screwed....[sm=lol.gif]
i have a full german gas mask from wwll for $20 in cape cod. drive up there and get one. lol

whats the heat cycle engine break in?
Old 12-09-2008, 02:19 AM
bweiler

ok ok si si be mucho macho
Old 12-09-2008, 04:52 AM
Jacked69

WOW I know how that feels, and It does not feel very nice at all. AS for solving the problem there are many options.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:12 AM
westphill24

I was holding my buggy on my way out my back door when I accidently hit the throttle and got a face full of exhaust. [:'(] Another time I was starting the buggy and fuel shot up from near the flywheel and caught me in the eye definitely not fun. I agree with integra on this one just make sure you keep the exhaust angled away from your face and if your running on an indoor track you may have to just suck it up. Literally.

On a side note I was at the track one time and there was a lady out there with her husband and infant on her back. She was driving a 18th scale while about 4-5 other people had nitros out there and I could see the dust and exhaust all around the baby. People do some dumb stuff.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:45 AM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: gokartingbob455

i have a full german gas mask from wwll for $20 in cape cod. drive up there and get one. lol

I would love to see some one wear a mask like that at a race....that would be classic. [sm=lol.gif]
Old 12-09-2008, 10:51 AM
westphill24

I have really bad allergies and as long as its not directly in my face Im cool. Those masks are really unecessary, it would be funny though.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:22 PM
HandyRacing

ORIGINAL: gokartingbob455

I would love to see some one wear a mask like that at a race....that would be classic. [sm=lol.gif]
I'd do it just for the photo-op....

great idea

Go brushless!
Old 12-09-2008, 03:14 PM
McFly505

I rigged up a small shop vac to suck the fumes out of my garage and shoot them outside.

As for the racetrack, you're pretty much screwed.
We have a guy that recently started wearing a respirator/mask type deal and it just looks like a giant PITA to me.

The fumes get me every once in a while while on the driver stand and make my eyes water, but thats about all it does.

Scott
Old 12-09-2008, 04:20 PM
HandyRacing

ORIGINAL: McFly505

I rigged up a small shop vac to suck the fumes out of my garage and shoot them outside.

We have a guy that recently started wearing a respirator/mask type deal and it just looks like a giant PITA to me.

The fumes get me every once in a while while on the driver stand and make my eyes water, but thats about all it does.

Scott
I marshalled a Nitro race about a year ago, and after the practice time and actual race, my head was throbbing from the fumes and the noise.

(I AM a little biased to the brushless gambit)
Old 12-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Nik.

if you are getting face fulls of exhaust...

you are doing it wrong.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:37 PM
gokartingbob455

ORIGINAL: HandyRacing

ORIGINAL: McFly505

Scott
I marshalled a Nitro race about a year ago, and after the practice time and actual race, my head was throbbing from the fumes and the noise.

(I AM a little biased to the brushless gambit)
the noise isnt that bad... the fumes smell good depending on who you are lol. i like it
Old 12-09-2008, 07:58 PM
HandyRacing

I would refer you to the MSDS linked above.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:27 AM
tommygun32

I always keep a bottle of water with me now when in the pits or marshalling. Nothing so fun as when you run over to flip a bug/trug back on its wheels and the driver gives it a nice throttle squirt....face and eyes full of sand....(here motocross goggles are a good idea).

The other option or idea for the pits....if it's not windy enough to clear the exhaust, bring a battery operated fan with you (or a really long extension cord) and try and set it up behind you. Or even ask the track owners / operators to set up a couple of large fans just to get the air circulating.

Oh...hey...get real extreme and get one of those silly safari hats that have a small built in fan that blows on your forehead..[&:]
Old 12-10-2008, 05:11 PM
gokartingbob455

while wearing the german gas mask...in clown shoes...and only underwear.

i would get out of bed at 4 in the morning just to see somebody do that.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:56 AM
hrdcoreglf

I use clear Oakly style safety glasses from Home Depot, for pit row and marshalling.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:43 PM
ace9213

wear goggles
Old 12-14-2008, 02:44 AM
Losi Driva

i would just put some windex on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.