Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Losi 8 not starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 08:08 PM
kdfi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losi 8 not starting

Hi been in rc for a while but got out of cars years ago. I picked up a used Losi 8 buggy and it wont start.

Here's what I know. When I place the rotorstart shaft in the motors starting back plate the back plate just spins. If I take out the glow plug and look down the cylinder head the piston doesn't move up and down when I push the rotor starter button. I can move the piston up and down by spinning the clutch bell by hand. Did nitro get in the back plate and make it slip? Is the back plate bad?

thanks for the help.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:45 PM
losiben888

Default RE: Losi 8 not starting

How about pulling it apart and checking it out for yourself....you seem to know what could be wrong, but somehow you want a definite answer from people who really have no idea unless they themselves physically took it apart and diagnosed the problem for you.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:53 PM
kdfi

I was only asking if anyone knows what causes this to happen. If you didn't like my topic you could of stayed out of it.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: kdfi

Hi been in rc for a while but got out of cars years ago. I picked up a used Losi 8 buggy and it wont start.

Here's what I know. When I place the rotorstart shaft in the motors starting back plate the back plate just spins. If I take out the glow plug and look down the cylinder head the piston doesn't move up and down when I push the rotor starter button. I can move the piston up and down by spinning the clutch bell by hand. Did nitro get in the back plate and make it slip? Is the back plate bad?

thanks for the help.
There is one common diagnosis for your problem. The one way bearing in the engine is slipping. There is a bearing in the engine that is supposed to grab the starter shaft that then spins the crankshaft. If the bearing is old, worn or excessively oiled, the bearing will just spin and not grab the starter shaft the way its supposed to.

For starters, you can pull the engine out, pull the back plate out, clean the one way bearing and put the engine back together. If the bearing was excessively oiled, it should start grabbing again when you try and start. If it slips again, you will need to replace the one way bearing. It's a wear item and commonly available. If you need a part number, you can go on losi's site and download the manual for the engine.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Dale Gribble

ORIGINAL: losiben888

How about pulling it apart and checking it out for yourself....you seem to know what could be wrong, but somehow you want a definite answer from people who really have no idea unless they themselves physically took it apart and diagnosed the problem for you.
Take it easy there. He was listing the symptoms and asking for help which is what this forum is for. If you can't help, don't bother replying and move onto the next thread.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Dale Gribble

The part I am talking about is DYN0941 in the diagram below.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:36 AM
kdfi

Thank you Dale.

I will try what you explained in your first reply. If that works great!!!But if not I will move on to the part you mentiond.

Once again thanks for your help.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:47 AM
Dale Gribble

No problem! Good luck.