Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Finishing my old (but somehow still new) Thunder Tiger EB4

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Finishing my old (but somehow still new) Thunder Tiger EB4

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 12:12 AM
DanielT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finishing my old (but somehow still new) Thunder Tiger EB4

My sad, sad story...

A long, long time ago - more than 8 years ago in fact - I bought a Thunder Tiger EB4 kit (the original version). A complete noob that had never done anything RC before, I spent a while building it slowly, then hit some problem I can't quite recall... I think the engine I had bought didn't have a pilot shaft or something and the kit's clutch needed one. So it got boxed up and forgotten for a while.

Then in 2003 I ordered a new engine (Ofna/Picco Outlaw .26 - most likely a mistake), a bunch of other parts like batteries and radio, but life got busy and I never got around to using them. I think around summer 2006 I finally got around to finishing building the kit, painted the body and so forth. When it came time to burning it in, however, disaster. I had trouble keeping it running for more than 20 seconds, and after a few restarts the stupid pull-cord broke. Since I had no other way to start the car at that moment, everything got boxed up and put away in storage in bitter disappointment.

And so here I am again. Clearning out a store room I came across all my gear. My sad, old but still brand new EB4 in a clear plastic box calling to me to finally get it running. My biggest problems relate to the engine.

First, replacing the pull-cord or finding some way to start it - I know I can just screw another one on, but are there better starter systems? I had originally wanted to avoid a starter box at all times, but after the difficulty trying to get it running the first time, it's sounding like a more attractive option now.

Second, possibly overriding the first, the engine itself. There was a bit of an issue when this engine first came out that some came with the wrong low speed needle making them almost impossible to keep running. As far as I know, I think my engine has this particular bad needle, and since I doubt Ofna is going to support an engine that old that I'm sure they no longer make, I'm debating whether to buy a new engine (ironically that would be the 3rd engine for a car that has yet to run). And if so, what's a good engine for this kit, and what's the best way of starting it.

Frankly I'm not even sure if the car is built correctly (relating to suspension/steering adjustments)... I did buy the kit through a LHS, but I'm more than a little embarrased to try to go back after so many years. :-P

Old 12-12-2008, 12:02 PM
RCtruckRacer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Finishing my old (but somehow still new) Thunder Tiger EB4

I hate pull starts, but that's just me. Don't like spin starts much either. Both options have a One Way Bearing that robs power, and gives you one more thing that can break. I LOVE starter boxes. They are the only way to go IMO. My personal fav is the Ofna Chrome box.

If you want a new engine, there are some good lower cost options out there - like the Go 3port. It's an OK engine at a reasonable price.

I still race my EB4 S3. Probably still will for at least another year, maybe two. Soon, parts will probably become scarce. I may not upgrade till that happens. This buggy is just too good for me, I still keep improving my lap times with it. And it's tough as nails.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about its setup.