Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

bearings

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 11:19 AM
jazzpaintball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bearings

I was wondering if anyone has used or is using ceramic / ceramic hybrid bearings. Are they really worth the 15 dollar a piece price tag compared to the dollar a piece price tag for the stock bearings? Also, does 'econo' bearings make much more of a better difference compared to the stock replacements for roughly the same price. If so to any of these, what bearing manufacturers would be best?
Old 12-22-2008, 03:19 PM
nissan300ztt

Default RE: bearings

As much as INTEGRA thinks im retarded...LOL In my HYPER 7 ive stripped the whole buggy down and rebuilding it. And I put ACER Ceramic Nitride bearings and I must say the buggy does seem to roll a heck of a lot smoother then the stock bearings. So For a full set of ACER ceramic Nitrides they cost 90 in my opinion they were well worth it.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:24 PM
K_B

The only place I've used ceramics is in the clutch. High speed and high heat applications is where ceramics really shine. Full ceramics is overkill in my opinion.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:44 AM
jazzpaintball

so ceramics in the clutch and the engine. the two hottest places that need the smoothest ride. Any place else that would be really helpful?
Old 12-23-2008, 02:24 AM
tommygun32

I've seen this subject raised on a number of occasions here and I've witnessed both sides of the story.

Here's my 2 cents:

Most anyone who's serious about racing and performing well will do complete strip down of the car after 2 - 4 races (if not after every single race) and replace all the bearings. If this is the situation, it's a complete waste of money to go 'ceramic' all round the car. Normal 1 or 2 dollar bearings perform perfectly for this amount of time (and probably longer).

If you're not inclined to go through this sort of maintanence schedule and can afford the ceramics, well, that's entirely up to you. I do see the point of installing ceramics in the clutch and engine, but not all around.

Even in the highly acidic/saline conditions i run my cars here in Dubai, I don't experience problems with my normal bearings. However, I do try and maintain them consistently.

At the end of the day, bearings are deffinently one of those things that are a "consumable" in this sport. Even ceramics aren't going to last forever. But hey, if you've got the money and really want to run ceramics all round, again, completely up to you. I'd rather use that kind of money on other things like upgrades to diffs, lightweight flywheels, etc.

Again, just my thoughts on the matter...
Old 12-23-2008, 10:56 AM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

I've seen this subject raised on a number of occasions here and I've witnessed both sides of the story.

Here's my 2 cents:

Most anyone who's serious about racing and performing well will do complete strip down of the car after 2 - 4 races (if not after every single race) and replace all the bearings. If this is the situation, it's a complete waste of money to go 'ceramic' all round the car. Normal 1 or 2 dollar bearings perform perfectly for this amount of time (and probably longer).

If you're not inclined to go through this sort of maintanence schedule and can afford the ceramics, well, that's entirely up to you. I do see the point of installing ceramics in the clutch and engine, but not all around.

Even in the highly acidic/saline conditions i run my cars here in Dubai, I don't experience problems with my normal bearings. However, I do try and maintain them consistently.

At the end of the day, bearings are deffinently one of those things that are a "consumable" in this sport. Even ceramics aren't going to last forever. But hey, if you've got the money and really want to run ceramics all round, again, completely up to you. I'd rather use that kind of money on other things like upgrades to diffs, lightweight flywheels, etc.

Again, just my thoughts on the matter...

Well said Tommy. [sm=wink_smile.gif].....90$ on bearings ....if i wanted ceramic's i know of a Bearing distributor that can get Our Size'd Ceramics for a little over 1$ a peice....but for what its worth....ill stick to my 1$ a peice and toss em after a race or 2.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:39 AM
SManMTB

Waste of money IMO.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:37 PM
nissan300ztt

Remember guys the less energy the motor needs to use to engage the clutch and the less resistance that faster youll accelerate. And the ceramic nitride bearings are for the person who has the money to waste. I bought them and I love them have 5 races on them on my revo. And they still as smooth as when i bought them.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:09 PM
jazzpaintball

well nice to know you have money to waste, lol
Old 12-23-2008, 08:36 PM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: jazzpaintball

well nice to know you have money to waste, lol

[sm=lol.gif]
Old 12-23-2008, 08:44 PM
nissan300ztt

Yes some of us work for our money. Not saying you guys dont.