Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

The LRP/SH Engines Z-Car ZMXB-8 thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

The LRP/SH Engines Z-Car ZMXB-8 thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 10:09 PM
IL2mSturmovik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The LRP/SH Engines Z-Car ZMXB-8 thread

My curiosity in this innovative buggy was first raised when I saw prototypes of it on neo and redrc, then I researched it quite a bit.
It has quite a following in Europe and SE Asia, but due to the near 100% lack of marketing and exposure, its not as popular in the USA......Yet
I lucked out and found the deal of all dealson ebay for one, and eagerly awaited it, as I had a nice Ninja (GRP based)21 to go in it, as well as an ACE DS1313 for steering duties, and a JR650 for throttle and brake.
The instruction manual to me does a fine job, and this Pro version comes as a true 100% KIT!!!
I would say the manual would not be sufficient for a n00b, however. This buggy was developed with input from Wu Chen and IFMAR world chame Greg Degani
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC-0019.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	2238885

Name:	PIC-0016.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	2238886

Name:	PIC-0017.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	2238887

Name:	PIC-0018.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	2238888

Name:	PIC-0020.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	2238889

Old 12-24-2008, 10:12 PM
IL2mSturmovik

Default RE: The LRP/SH Engines Z-Car ZMXB-8 thread

This buggy is certainly different and has 6 patents on its designs!!
I have built about as far as I can until I get the 3 cross pins.
Cant wait to drive it, the Ninja 21 is already nicely broken in and singing right, its gonna be a hoot.
Diffs fit perfectly, no shimming needed, VERY nice quality

Old 12-25-2008, 10:37 AM
nurch

Definitely looks nice!!! Excellent work there. I can't believe those Mugen Seiki Ninja engines are still around. I been outta this hobby for 4 years, but I still have my Xray XB08 (not built still in packaging, box even unopened) buggy, and my Sportwerks 1:8 buggy.

This buggy looks like the same overall design, but the shock towers look insane!! Does Zen Ma have any representation here in the states at all? Or can you only get a buggy like this from Ebay?
Old 12-25-2008, 10:43 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Run the DS1015 for steering and the D1313 for brake throttle. This is the set up I run in my Hyper 8.5 Pro. I all so run the same set up in my race Savage.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:24 PM
IL2mSturmovik

ORIGINAL: nurch

Definitely looks nice!!! Excellent work there. I can't believe those Mugen Seiki Ninja engines are still around. I been outta this hobby for 4 years, but I still have my Xray XB08 (not built still in packaging, box even unopened) buggy, and my Sportwerks 1:8 buggy.

This buggy looks like the same overall design, but the shock towers look insane!! Does Zen Ma have any representation here in the states at all? Or can you only get a buggy like this from Ebay?

Oh you can get them from www.hobbypeople.net and modhobby.com (not listed right now but he has some parts for me on order, and I think he will be carrying them again)
I LOVE both the 21 and 28 GRP based Ninjas, both par excellence engines! The GRP 21 and 28 are almost the same engines, but their timing is not as aggro.
I swear pics do NOT do it justice, the plastic is XRAY/Kyosho quality if not better, the diffs are works of art (perfect fit, no shims needed, btw), building it REALLY gives me mad respect for their engineers. Heck teh alum is 7075!!!!
The braking system, adjustability with STOCK included parts, excellent hardware, tilted engine, excellent pipe, header, clutch, active rear suspension, the motocross like valved shocks, are just incredible. I bet 80% of people who see it in person and in action would buy one right then given the chance.

46u I run the 1015 as steering in my 8T, and love it, but I think the DS1313 is quite ample for a buggy, especially since I happened to already have one, lol.. But speaking of the steering on the Z Car, it is VERY smooth and "plush" feeling.
Just like the JR 650 for throttle/brake duty, yeah I know its not perfect, but I have 5-7 of them already.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:28 PM
IL2mSturmovik

HOLY Schmole!
Its on sale for only $199 !!! Deal o deals!!
Old 12-25-2008, 08:03 PM
46u

IL2mSturmovik do you ever go to Loganville, GA and race?
Old 12-25-2008, 08:46 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: IL2mSturmovik

I LOVE both the 21 and 28 GRP based Ninjas, both par excellence engines! The GRP 21 and 28 are almost the same engines, but their timing is not as aggro.
I swear pics do NOT do it justice, the plastic is XRAY/Kyosho quality if not better, the diffs are works of art (perfect fit, no shims needed, btw), building it REALLY gives me mad respect for their engineers. Heck teh alum is 7075!!!!
The braking system, adjustability with STOCK included parts, excellent hardware, tilted engine, excellent pipe, header, clutch, active rear suspension, the motocross like valved shocks, are just incredible.
GoldenLion does make some great engines as compared to the numerous low chinese engines that plague most RTR engines, even from well known name brands such as HPI and Traxxas. And their foray into actually making a buggy is definintly interesting, that being a huge step from only making engines.

As for the materials, are you sure they actually are using 7075 grade alum?
And as for teh plastics, saying that it is equivalent to XRay or high grade Kyosho is quite a claim

I am not doubting you, I just find it kind of hard that GoldenLion would actually spend the money to purchase such materials when historically, they prefer to use cheaper materials in their engines when compared to the Japanese OS or the Itallian Piccos and Rossis. The reason why I saty this is for one, the materials are more expensive to obtain, and not only that they are also more expensive to tool, machine, and treat. Thus the cost of teh buggy would be a fair bit more expensive than $200USD.
For example, machining 7075 alum, even when not highly treated (7075-0) will wear away at drill bits, cutters, etc. much more quickly than machining 6061. Also, machining stronger materials could require more passes by the tooling to cut and shape, or require slower running to prevent overheating the tooling, thus burning more energy to make each piece.
Then there is the cost in treating the 7075 to treating it to a higher temper, sayT6.

Again, I'm not doubting you, it's just that for the cost of the RC, I dont think the alum really is 7075 T6, or if it truly is 7075, it is not treated to T6, it could be 7075-0, and interestingly enough, 6061 T6 alum actually has better mechanical performance than 7075 T6.
The only way to know for sure what teh alum grade is for sure is to take all the alum bits and put them under a mass spectrometer.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:50 PM
IL2mSturmovik

ORIGINAL: 46u

IL2mSturmovik do you ever go to Loganville, GA and race?
Oh yes, see www.garcracers.com
Old 12-25-2008, 09:03 PM
IL2mSturmovik

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

The braking system, adjustability with STOCK included parts, excellent hardware, tilted engine, excellent pipe, header, clutch, active rear suspension, the motocross like valved shocks, are just incredible.
GoldenLion does make some great engines as compared to the numerous low chinese engines that plague most RTR engines, even from well known name brands such as HPI and Traxxas. And their foray into actually making a buggy is definintly interesting, that being a huge step from only making engines.

As for the materials, are you sure they actually are using 7075 grade alum?
And as for teh plastics, saying that it is equivalent to XRay or high grade Kyosho is quite a claim

I am not doubting you, I just find it kind of hard that GoldenLion would actually spend the money to purchase such materials when historically, they prefer to use cheaper materials in their engines when compared to the Japanese OS or the Itallian Piccos and Rossis. The reason why I saty this is for one, the materials are more expensive to obtain, and not only that they are also more expensive to tool, machine, and treat. Thus the cost of teh buggy would be a fair bit more expensive than $200USD.
For example, machining 7075 alum, even when not highly treated (7075-0) will wear away at drill bits, cutters, etc. much more quickly than machining 6061. Also, machining stronger materials could require more passes by the tooling to cut and shape, or require slower running to prevent overheating the tooling, thus burning more energy to make each piece.
Then there is the cost in treating the 7075 to treating it to a higher temper, sayT6.

Again, I'm not doubting you, it's just that for the cost of the RC, I dont think the alum really is 7075 T6, or if it truly is 7075, it is not treated to T6, it could be 7075-0, and interestingly enough, 6061 T6 alum actually has better mechanical performance than 7075 T6.
The only way to know for sure what teh alum grade is for sure is to take all the alum bits and put them under a mass spectrometer.
lol i knew my comment would draw doubters. Its a big statement, but I will stand by it. The T-6 7075 is what their specs say, and they certainly appear to be.
I would think a lawsuit for illegal advertisiing would be too big a chance to lie about something like that. Especially LRP in their literature.
The metal machine work is par excellent, and teh fitment of everything is incredible, no slop, and perfect fit, almost snap-in
They are pretty serious about this car, they actually built a large building and test track for it and the truggy.
Just think. The new .21 hp king is a LRP z21, and their LRP Spec 3 I run in my LST2 is stupid fast as well.
They are SH engines. SH is quite serious about their new buggy and Truggies, and if you built one of their kits you would agree I am sure.
I have been around, worked on, and seen Xrays and Kyoshos, and its quality is there imo.
The current $200 sale price? Clearing out the V1 would be my guess, this buggy usually sells for $469, which I think is a good price for it at that!
I think they are about to release v2 with the big bores on the new truggy.
Reasons I think so: the RTR version of the buggy is just being released, and as well the RTR and Pro version of the Truggy!!
I know the truggy has big bores, and in the latest RC mags the price on the Pro buggy is back up to its normal $469.
I am strongly considering on buying another one at $199.99 shipped!!! and then upgrading to their big bores, but the 14mm on it are uber plush and engineered with valving!
Old 12-25-2008, 09:11 PM
46u

Again IL2mSturmovik do you ever go to Loganville, GA and race?
Old 12-25-2008, 09:19 PM
IL2mSturmovik

I guess you missed my answer, lol
LST2 in MT and 8T in Truggy. I LOVE that track, its nice and I consider myself lucky to be only 40 minutes away from it!!
Great track, and a lot of really cool racers and nice sized turnouts!
Old 12-25-2008, 09:33 PM
46u

I guess you missed my answer, lol
LST2 in MT and 8T in Truggy. I LOVE that track, its nice and I consider myself lucky to be only 40 minutes away from it!!
Great track, and a lot of really cool racers and nice sized turnouts!
Sorry yes I did over look it. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif] Do to things beyond my control I have not raced in about 10 months but hope to get back to it shortly. Yes you are lucky as Loganiville is about 75 miles from me. Since Rod Slinger closed it is the closes track. [] When you go to Loaganville look for the old man with the blue baby stroller as a pit buggy and a car with Rebel Racing on it. On Georgia RC Racers like all the forums I go to my screen name is 46u.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:59 PM
romax

Good pics. but i'm a little concerned about the flowered bedspread Kidding. The things we let our wives do.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:03 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: romax

Good pics. but i'm a little concerned about the flowered bedspread Kidding. The things we let our wives do.
You think that is bad? Check this out when I built my truggy awhile ago! Look at the tablecloth[&o] Go to the truggy Caster K8T thread and look at the first page LMAO!
Old 12-25-2008, 11:50 PM
IL2mSturmovik

ORIGINAL: romax

LOL I hate that bedspread, but hey if she lets me build nitro kits on it well its not SO bad, lol
Old 01-02-2009, 11:40 AM
IL2mSturmovik

Will be continuing this soon, I injured my midback with a badly pinched nerve.
Awesome buggy, and I very well may be getting a truggy from them too!!!
Old 01-02-2009, 11:43 AM
IL2mSturmovik

Oh and I did buy one at $200 shipped as a 2nd one!!!
Now they are back at $469, which is honestly a good deal!
Old 01-03-2009, 01:13 AM
showtime477

I have a brand new built race roller I'll let go for $350 shipped.....any takers?
Old 01-03-2009, 01:36 AM
IL2mSturmovik

Why on earth are you wanting to sell it?
Old 01-03-2009, 02:03 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Why? For $350 race built roller (all teh race upgrade goodies and all), I wouldnt ask.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:15 AM
IL2mSturmovik

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Why? For $350 race built roller (all teh race upgrade goodies and all), I wouldnt ask.
Snap it up then, bro!
Old 01-03-2009, 06:39 PM
showtime477

I bought two of them back in september thikning I might need a back up car.....there has been no need, so somebody may as well enjoy it. It really is a great buggy.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:56 PM
IL2mSturmovik

I will spread teh word, if I didnt have 2 already I may have taken it off your hands.
Incidentially my diff cross pins came in , pretty much done, will be doing its maiden voyage tomorrow!
Old 01-04-2009, 03:11 AM
JtKirk

Post pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.