Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Both new cars won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 04:17 PM
xonikcocker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Both new cars won't start!

I took my two new RC cars (stadium truck and buggy) to the hobby shop and the guy there made a few adjustments and the engines were running within 10 minutes for them both. Both engines are brand new and not broken in. Anyway, I get home and didn't change a thing, then try and start it and the buggy starts up and idles, but dies after a minute or two and I can't get the stadium truck to start at all. I didn't touch anything. The only thing that changed was he started them indoors and I was trying outside where it was about 40 degrees F outside. The buggy is a OFNA LX1 and the truck is a Firestorm.

Thanks
Old 12-26-2008, 04:45 PM
giddyuperic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Both new cars won't start!

Take a hair drier or heat gun and heat up the motors first before you start them. They are tight because they are new and won't turn over that well and won't start that well . So give that a try and lets us know whay happens. You just want to get them around maybe 120 to 150 then they will start right up. We do it in sunny hot california all the time.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:49 PM
xonikcocker

I'll try that for sure, thanks! But I was attempting to start them again and noticed that the fuel in the buggy isn't flowing from the tank to the carb from what I can seein the tubing, yet when I plug the exhaust it still gets flooded??? Is the fuel coming from the carb still or am I missing something?
Old 12-26-2008, 08:45 PM
xonikcocker

When I blow on the hose attached to the pipe on the buggy, the fuel doesn't flow either. I can blow as hard as I want and it doesn't move. No air escapes either. It's like blowing into a tube that's plugged on one end.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:55 PM
ace9213

just because you cant notice that the fuel is moving through the tubes doesnt mean it isnt. it happens to me alot. you blow on the tube a bit and dont see any fuel move but it still gets primed. other times you can see little bubbles moving through. makes no difference. after you prime it you want to get it started up. dont prime it any more or you will flood the engine. (its okay if you flood it and it really doesnt hurt the engine too much, just try not to do it all the time.) Give the pull start some tugs and if the engine isnt turning over try adjusting the throttle trim on your radio. give it some more trim and keep trying. it should start. (oh and heating it up with a hair dryer will help too) when it starts you want to slowly give it gas. real slow. warm up the engine first. hold it in your hand for a minute giving it tiny bits of gas and slowly giving it more.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:25 AM
j_blaze

make sure glow igniter is charged and plugs are good too, both cars would suggest igniter to me.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:14 PM
xonikcocker

Good idea but how do I know if a plug is bad or not? How can I tell if the igniter is bad?
Old 12-27-2008, 03:56 PM
thomas7308

One way to tell is to unscrew your glue plug(if u dont have an extra) and put the glow plug starter on the plug, it should glow a bright orange. Also when u attempt to start ur engine u can put your finger over the exhaust pipe to help get the fuel in line to the Carb..u should see the fuel move in the lines...
Old 12-27-2008, 05:46 PM
xonikcocker

Woot I finally got them started! We broke both engines in and man do they rip! One thing I noticed is that on the buggy it has a short range before it starts to get erratic. Could it be the 2 "used" batteries I put in the radio?
Old 12-27-2008, 07:04 PM
ace9213

ORIGINAL: xonikcocker

Woot I finally got them started! We broke both engines in and man do they rip! One thing I noticed is that on the buggy it has a short range before it starts to get erratic. Could it be the 2 "used" batteries I put in the radio?
It could be. Never run on used batteries. If your car looses power you can't control it. Which equals a run-away. I would highly highly recomend buying stronger servos, a good radio system (2.4ghz), and a rechargable battery (to prevent batteries from becoming loose because that can make your car run away too). Also you will need a charger for the battery. Those things are really a must have to ensure your car is safe. After that, its anchors away baby, buy whatever you want for it.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:50 PM
xonikcocker

I was thinking about getting a rechargeable battery pack for the receivers. I'll stop by the hobby shop one of these days and check it out. As for servos, what would you guys recommend for the torque/speed for the money? I am looking to spend the least amount possible because all I do is bashing. Also, what about a charger that isn't expensive?
Old 12-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Hoese37

For a sevo I'd recommend a Futaba S3305. Just swap it out and no need to change your servo horn. As for the charger I liked my dynamite Prophet.