Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

buggy problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 07:39 PM
ace9213

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buggy problem

When I went to drive my hyper 7 today it starts just fine and would run just fine up on a block of wood with the wheels off the ground. But once I set it down for a drive it would randomly stall on me. The sound the engine made left me to guess that it was running too rich, so i leaned it some. But that didn't help. It would still stall at random points. Wether it be full throttle or just easing on the throttle. After jacking around with it for a very long time, trying tons of different tunes, i threw in the towel. But it left me wondering if I have a air leak in my gasket that seals the exhuast manifold to the engine. I know that this little rubber gasket got riped a bit awhile back but never seemed to be too much trouble. Now I'm thinking this bad boy is the cause of my problems. What do you all think?

Edit: Here is a visual. The red gasket is what is torn a bit. I really do believe I have a air leak because my car has been running hotter then normal and the engine is acting up on me.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:24 PM
K_B

Default RE: buggy problem

I doubt the exhaust gasket is the culprit. I would do a leakdown test on the motor and I would also check your fuel line for pinholes. When the buggy hits bumps, the fuel line will flex and open up a tiny pinhole big enough to suck in an air bubble and will stall the engine.

Leakdown test:

Take the engine out, take the airfilter off and attach a clean piece of fuel tubing to the inlet tower on the carb. Cover the carb throat (the opening that the filter normally is attached to) with your thumb and dunk the engine in a sink full of water. Blow through the fuel tube (pressurizing the crankcase) and see if you get any bubbles. Where ever there's bubbles, theres and air leak.

Of course, after this, you'll want to dismantle the engine and hose it down with some WD-40 and add a few drops of after run oil to displace any water that may have gotten in the engine.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:34 PM
ace9213

Thank you for your advice. I will look into what you have said and check the fuel tubing too.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:47 PM
K_B

Before doing the PITA leakdown test, you might wanna just examine your engine closely and look for wet areas around the head and around the front bearing and possibly around the bottom of the carb where it seats into the crankcase. Those are common areas for leaks. The head on one of my engines started coming loose just slightly and caused the engine to run like crap.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:51 PM
ace9213

Alright I'll check everywhere a leak can come from. Also I have been trying to get the cooling head off but I can't get it to come loose! I've used all my strenght to get the screws to budge, but I can't. Any help there too?
Old 12-30-2008, 04:07 PM
K_B

Well, I guess we can rule out a head leak (HAR HAR) I would first try to heat the motor up good and hot with a heat gun. That should expand the metal a bit, soften the loc-tite and make it easier to break 'em loose.

If you don't have a heat gun or a mini-torch, fire the engine up and get it up to temp, shut it down and try getting the screws out while the engine is still hot.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:23 PM
kyoshorc132

hey i have the kyosho dst and the back wheels wont spin as fast as the front. i think its the set screw or the grub screw but how do i get to it to check it?

also my lhs guy said tht when he puts his hand on the gear in the center the wheels should lock up but they dont. is tht the set screw?
Old 12-30-2008, 04:36 PM
ace9213

ORIGINAL: kyoshorc132

hey i have the kyosho dst and the back wheels wont spin as fast as the front. i think its the set screw or the grub screw but how do i get to it to check it?

also my lhs guy said tht when he puts his hand on the gear in the center the wheels should lock up but they dont. is tht the set screw?
I'm not going to try to sound mean, but you can go make your own thread and ask your questions. Avoid jacking peoples thread.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:41 PM
kyoshorc132

sorry i thawt this was buggy problems???
Old 12-30-2008, 05:00 PM
K_B

The problems your experiencing are entirely different from what is being discussed in this thread. That's why you should start your own thread.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:02 PM
kyoshorc132

this thread is not wut u wanna discuss its for BUGGY PROBLEMS. i have buggy problems . this is the thread i should be in but u no wut im sorry and ill leve