Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Coming back to hobby...Have new HB d8...help me finish...

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Coming back to hobby...Have new HB d8...help me finish...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 10:44 PM
mist467

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coming back to hobby...Have new HB d8...help me finish...

so i want to get back into the hobby and start getting my sons in it...ive owned a couple buggys and used to mess around on the weekends at some local tracks but i want to get a lil more into it....i still have a hyper 7...used to have a sportwerks mayhem which was a decent truck...but ive always bought rtr cars...and the d8 isnt...im so stressed with options already...lol...and want to start ordering...i got the kit for 250...and i dont want to spend more then maybe 400 more finishing it...the less the better becuase then i can mess with the hyper a bit for the kids...i pretty much need everything...radio..servos...engine...ect...engine wise im leaning to a o.s...radio wise im open...always likes futaba ...and servo's well that all depends on the radio...so how do u guys think i should finish my d8 for some weekend fun and mabybe future upgrades....thanks ahead of time..

UPDATE BELOW...New pics and recent updates!!
Old 12-30-2008, 01:23 AM
rc rock

Default RE: Coming back to hobby...Have new HB d8...help me finish...

first off you have to forget os engines if thats your budget. their budget engine ($160) is reputably crap, it only lasts a gallon or 2 because it is abl instead of abc. for an engine i'd recomend the [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_23_31/products_id/31073]novarossi n21b [/link]. its an amazing deal. if it were priced normally at $185 i wouldn't recomend it but at that price it is a steal. above all it is novarossi so you can be certain that the quality will be amazing. [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_23_32/products_id/9007]this pipe [/link] because it is the recomended pipe and will work well with almost every engine.[link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_23_52/products_id/5429]this starter box[/link] i use it and i guaranty it is one of the best if not the best...
you will also need [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_23_52/products_id/5767]a 12v gel cell baterry[/link] and a [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_23_52/products_id/5768]charger[/link]. that puts you right at $300. i say save another $100 for a radio system. until then you can use your hyper's radio or you could buy a used radio.....
Old 12-30-2008, 11:50 PM
mist467

thanks for the input...another engine i was considering is the go tech 7port...a buddy of mine has one and im going to try his buggy out to see if i like it...he gets real good prices on them...i have batteries and starter box...so pretty much i need a radio...servos...engine and pipe...im really leaning toward the go tech and read alot of good stuff about them...
Old 12-31-2008, 03:44 AM
rc rock

i didn't know you had a starter box.. the go tech is a much more powerfull engine than the novarossi but be ready to seal the carb and fight with it for break in. it take about a gallon to break it in. Don't get me wrong, i own a go tech 3 port race and i have had no trouble with it but some people claim they are fussy...
Old 12-31-2008, 11:15 AM
amf66

For an engine you can get a good SH .21 engine for pretty cheap. Everyone I know who has an SH loves it.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:07 PM
mist467

thanks for the input...yea ive heard the couple things about the go tech...my buddy said he had to heat his up to temp with a heatgun for the first gallon or so to get it to start if not he said it it was super hard...thats not to big of a deal though...it looks like for the price...160sh it might be my best bet...
Old 12-31-2008, 07:45 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Going to be hard to finish it for $400 and it be decent. A good engine new around $200, then a decent radio system another $200 and this will just be a decent radio. Most of the servos that come with radio kits are not real good so another $150 to $200 for servos. You might get one out of the radio kit that will work for brake and throttle. Then there will be other things like a pipe which I do not think the D8 comes with so another $50 to $100. Are you looking to build a basher or competitive for club racing?
Old 01-01-2009, 12:20 AM
mist467

well i really just want to get the buggy running and get some time on the car...havent been to the track in about 2 years and kinda left the hobby...i want to get back into it and get my sons into it...which is why i got a new buggy for me and they can take over the hyper 7 untill the get the hang of it and if they like it and want to pursue it ill buy them their own cars...im going to get a decent engine...looks like im going to get the go 7port...which i think for now will be more then enough for me..if i have to spend a lil more i will...i guess its better i get parts now that are going to last me and im not going to outgrow if i want to be competive on the weekends...i think the d8 with the go tech and a nice pipe and decent radio and servos will be a very fun car....later on if i upgrade radios and servos to be more competetive i can keep the other ones as back up and for the kids...
Old 01-01-2009, 03:05 AM
rc rock

it will be a very competitive car, you won't have the excuse thet your car isn't good enough and thats an excuse i see alot of on the tracks...
Old 01-01-2009, 10:25 AM
mist467

so anyone know of any killer deals on a radio???...ordering the go tech tomorrow...so i just need my pipe radio and servos....lmk
Old 01-01-2009, 01:32 PM
amf66

I've heard good things about the JR XS3 FM radio. You can get them on ebay for around 100 dollars and you don't have to change crystals to change frequencies.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:02 PM
romax

I've been pleased w/ my spectrum dx2 at just 169.00
Old 01-01-2009, 07:27 PM
vtec.

axial. check em out
Old 01-01-2009, 08:10 PM
SManMTB

The JR XS3 is a solid reliable radio and can be had stupid cheap used.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:22 PM
mthird

I love this type of thread ...

I was faced with similar circumstances and went with the GO .21 3p R, Futaba 3PM, and some inexpensive JR Sport ST-126mg servos (http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/28421). Believe it or not, I haven't had a single problem with the servos. I had a guy with his $150+ JR servos comment that he felt a bit more in control with the slower speed and the slightly more forgiving steering due to the lower torque. They aren't for everybody, but even though I am in the position to replace them with the high dollar ones, I still keep them.

Have fun playing with your toys and sons!
Old 01-02-2009, 07:15 PM
mist467

thank u mthird...i hope they will like it as much as i used too...and as much as im starting to again...is there a reason u went the 3 port over the 7???...
Old 01-02-2009, 08:45 PM
mthird

I did a whole lot of research ... and then went with the motor amain had in stock . I need to pick up a new piston/sleeve/rod due to another air filter mishap so I'll most likely get the 7 port set. The silicon on the SportWerks filter slides off to easily, so I bought a ProLine lowprofile (but not before it ruined two engines).
Old 01-02-2009, 09:24 PM
mist467

ok well i think my setup is went with the go tech 7port...im about to just go with the specktrum dx3.0 and if anything get a better steering servo...if not ill use the one included...amain got em for 209 with servos....i wanted a futaba to have faast but cant spend that much right now...im sure the spektrum will do and later on i can get what i want and donate the spektrum to the kids...only thing i havent decided is a pipe...still thinking...i think the buggy will run and perform pretty good...its not going to be no where near a beast but for someone who left the hobby a couple years back im sure ill enjoy it...and it will still have alot of potential...if anything will be holding it back right now it will be radio and servos...other then that its got plenty of potential in my opnion
Old 01-02-2009, 09:27 PM
mthird

You have many options for this engine. I narrowed my search down to 2 based on the GO thread on here and the other major board. The first is the GO 0801 (http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/25539) that is designed to go well in a buggy. The second is the Dynamite 086 (http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/9007) which is a really good pipe if you have a tighter budget.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:40 PM
mist467

thanks mthird...i guess we were looking at the go tech post together...lol...im trying to make up my mind now...im so exited bout this buggy...i have a feeling not my hyper 7 or 8 or my sportwerks is going to be any match for this buggy...its going to blow my previous stuff out the water...and i hope im right...what part of fl u in??...just noticed ur local...maybe i can help me break in the go since i hear they are a lil bit of a pain for break in
Old 01-02-2009, 09:55 PM
mthird

I'm in Melbourne. I bought a Hudy bench for the break-in of the 3P-R (and for my dad's 3P Sport). I'd be happy to bring it over.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:01 PM
mist467

cool...not that far from me...about 45 min...im off of the first orlando exits of 528 so i make it to cocoa in about 30 min so melbourne shouldnt be much more i dont think...whats up with the tracks around here in central fl...im from miami and just moved up here about a year ago and was already out of the hobby...i hear that there was like 3 really nice tracks in orlando and that they all closed...1 had a indoor carpet track and dirt track i hear...i was told by some of the guys at j&b that there is still 1 in kissime and 2 in clearmont
Old 01-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Tree1

If you are going to get a Go Tech 7 port .21 then you should get a Dynamite Platinum 053 pipe, especially since you are on a budget. Any little money you save, buying the 053 instead of the 0801, will help get your new rig up and running within your budget.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:05 PM
mthird

You must live in Wedgefield. My sister bought a place there a couple of years ago.

The tracks I normally go to are the East Coast RC Club in Daytona and DC Offroad in Avon Park. I've also practiced at the track down in Ft Lauderdale.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:59 PM
mist467

yea i live about 10 min from orl airport...ive been to the lauderdale track but never ran there...tree it looks like im gonna get the dynamite pipe...heard good things about em for the money...when its all said and done i got 800 in the buggy...trying to get everything together and cheat the system on amain...lol...u get 25 back for every 250...so im separating it and using different account to get 75 bucks off...lol...75 bucks is 75 bucks...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.