Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Servos out for cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 03:00 PM
powers900

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servos out for cleaning?

Do you have to take the servos out when cleaning. In other post it is not listed that you have to take them out. I am about to clean my car for the first time and I am not sure how many hex screws to take out for the radio tray. Is the radio tray one piece or is it several electronic parts that are on the tray?
Old 01-01-2009, 03:05 PM
powers900

Default RE: Servos out for cleaning?

Does anyone have a picture of the losi 8 buggy stripped down for cleaning that I could use as a guidline so I dont mess anything up? It sounds dumb but I am little worried that I might not be able to put everything back together. Super noob here. Plus not to mechanically inclined but learning since I like the hobby.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:11 PM
McFly505

No pics, but you do need to remove the tray.

I pull the tray, motor/pipe and tank on my cars/trucks when I clean.

Scott
Old 01-01-2009, 03:14 PM
powers900

What the hell i cant even get the hex bolts off of the bottom of the motor. I am using the right tools but cant get them loose. I am doomed. Do you have to hold the bolt from the top while unsrewing the bottom when taking the motor out. I noticed that their are bolts on the top where the motor mount is that directly feed to the hex bolts from the bottom of the car?
Old 01-01-2009, 03:19 PM
powers900

Ok i see that you dont have to touch the bolt on the top of the motor mounts my bad. Having trouble getting the hex bolts removed though. I have managed to get one off but the others are on so tight the hex driver is bowing when trying to tork down to get them out. Any suggestions on getting them loose?
Old 01-01-2009, 03:29 PM
powers900

All of the other hex bolts from the bottom of the care come out very easy. Only the hex bolts from the moter are stuck. I even took a steel rod and threaded through the top of the hex driver for more power and still nothing will budge. The only thing I can think of is when the local hobby store pulled my motor off he used lock tight when putting the bolts back on but that seems to be a standard for metal on metal.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:33 PM
powers900

Lol I figured it out. Steady patient pressure breaks the loct tight seal. Thanks everyone.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:34 PM
powers900

McFLY

Are the servos part of the tray?
Old 01-01-2009, 03:41 PM
powers900

when pulling the motor do you take out the idle screw or the hex bolt that is on top of the throtle servo for enging removal?
Old 01-01-2009, 04:11 PM
K_B

Do you have a manual? I highly suggest reading it.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:35 PM
powers900

K B yes i do have the manual however alot of the termanology is foreign to me. I looked at the manual and it just shows a picture of turnbuckle that fits into the servo arm. I tried to just snap it out but couldnt do it due to not knowing how much pressure should be applied. I ended up taking off the small round metal piece at the end that secures the servo rod and slipped it out.

Sorry for asking so much questions I was just trying to cover all basis. Nothing is worse than when someone tells someone that is completely new to GO READ THE MANUAL!!!!!!!!

The manaul does not have tricks and secrects as humans do. That is why I was asking. I apologize for causing in inconvienence.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:29 PM
K_B

Guess what I did when I got my first buggy? I read the manual. Sounds like youre gonna be screwed if your Internet goes down any time soon.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:33 PM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: powers900

Lol I figured it out. Steady patient pressure breaks the loct tight seal. Thanks everyone.

Shocking the screw actually works pretty well.....if you have an All alum body driver....you can SMACK it with a set of plyers or a small hammer and that ushally breaks it free. heat is another option that works most of the time.....a small butane torch or even a soldering iron can be used to heat the screw and help break the Loctite loose.

when pulling the motor....pop the ball off the carb linkage.....then remove the throttle horn in a position you can easily drop it back onto.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:47 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Heat is what breaks the bound on loctite! If you go to there site you will see this is how they recommend to break the bound. I all so mostly use purple Loctite as it is made for small fasteners and is much easier to take apart. If you have really good servos they should be moister resistant and I rarely take mine out when cleaning unless I am doing a major clean up and service. Now I do not recommend submerging or socking. I use either Wild Cat extreme cleaner or denatured alcohol.

This is what I use to heat up screws with loctite on them.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12748.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	1101245