Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

new to nitro

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 04:39 PM
crawlercrazed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to nitro

ok guys this is my first nitro but not my first rc. i just got a sportwerks mayhem off here. its clean and rtr. now ive had countless amounts of electric/brushless rc cars trucks and buggys, ive had a baja 5b ( and i miss it) so i thought i might as well give nitro a try. what am i looking forward to ( other than $40 a gallon nitro)?? how often do i change glow plugs? are there any kind of air filters other than the stock sponge type? how tempermental are the nitros in cold/ damp/wet/hot weather??
Old 01-03-2009, 02:56 PM
dxm2

Default RE: new to nitro

Crawler, I can tell you have been reading all the anti-nitro, pro-brushless, hype. Don't believe it! Nitro is dirty, loud, time consuming, expensive and amazingly fun once you get the engine tuned and running well. : )

I was just looking over my setup sheets and I ran almost half a gallon before needing to change my OS-8 glow plug, which is alot of running time. Others here may get more time out of their plugs. Get spares. Plugs can break or just crap out earlier than expected even if your engine is running perfectly.

Don't run anything less than a two stage foam filter with the inner filter treated with air filter oil. I change my air filter about every hour, or more if I'm somewhere really dusty. Get spares and have them ready to go.

I live in Northern California and have run my buggy in all kinds of weather without adjusting anything, but we don't have the heat and humidity that you have in MI. Others here will have better advice on this.

Lastly, get a starter box if you can. Nitro RC takes alot of "stuff" to make it work well and if you have to futz with a pull start, it will take a lot longer to get the engine started, or to make adjustments to improve performance. This is particularly true with .21 and bigger engines.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:26 PM
crawlercrazed

thanx so much.. are there different glow plugs like spark plugs for your car ( different brands, more for better run time / power) also the guy i got it from said he used a drill motor to start the buggy...
Old 01-03-2009, 05:59 PM
ace9213

ORIGINAL: crawlercrazed

thanx so much.. are there different glow plugs like spark plugs for your car ( different brands, more for better run time / power) also the guy i got it from said he used a drill motor to start the buggy...
You can get hotter or cooler glow plugs.
I guess you can start the car with a drill...All you have to do is spin the flywheel really fast.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:13 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: dxm2

I was just looking over my setup sheets and I ran almost half a gallon before needing to change my OS-8 glow plug, which is alot of running time.
I normally get 2 plus gallons out of mine and normally replace as maintenance before it goes bad. If you run the correct plug, know how to tune and run good fuel they will last quite a while. If you run an OS hope it is in a OS engine as OS plugs are short plugs and on most engines are not the correct plug unless it is a OS engine. Most engines take a standard long plug.