Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Question On Diff Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 04:06 PM
powers900

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question On Diff Upgrade

I am planning on replacing the grease with silicone oil on the diffs of my losi 8 buggy rtr. I found that you can upgrade the diff to a heavy duty one that has metal inserts. Do I replace all 3 diffs with this heavy duty diff upgrade? Any help would be great.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:07 PM
losiben888

Default RE: Question On Diff Upgrade

You might as well replace all three if you are going to put oil in them. I did, they have been in my buggy for about 9 months and I haven't had a problem with any....but I still never had any of the stock diff cups fail. I also put lightened outdrives on when I replaced the old cups. But you don't need them. I just wanted to give them a go.
What oils are you thinking of using?
Old 01-03-2009, 06:29 PM
powers900

The LHB store said to run 5-7-5 however I think I am going to run 5-7-3
Old 01-03-2009, 06:51 PM
losiben888

ORIGINAL: powers900

The LHB store said to run 5-7-5 however I think I am going to run 5-7-3
Yea I like the 5-7-5 combo in mine...and that thinner fluid would spool through corners like Integra said..type 'o'....my bad!!
Old 01-04-2009, 08:46 AM
Sampson0420
My Feedback: (7)

5 in the rear would make it loose?? I thought that heavier oil in the rear diff makes the back end swing around less. I was considering going 5-10-3 or even 7-10-5 in my converted 8ight to calm it down a bit. I always prefer the way my car controls the first 5 minutes I drive it every time. Seems like I loose forward bite and she becomes a bit squirly about 5-6 minutes into my run. I'm not sure what is in there now, it is a race roller I purchased used. So I'm looking forward to experiementing with some heavier oils in the diff.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:44 AM
INTEGRA

Lighter the rear the less traction the rear will have as the diffs will spool on corner's and not put any power down....thicker is the opposite....it Will put the power down evenly to both wheels and Allow the rear end to come around...thats as simple as i can say it.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Sampson0420
My Feedback: (7)

thanks for the reply integra. I think I'm still confused on logic. I would think with a thinner oil your outside wheel would spin at a higher rate than with thicker oil. With that said, wouldn't a outside rear wheel spinning faster swing your back end around quicker? I saw a guide for this stuff a while ago but cannot find it and could use a refresher.

ORIGINAL: INTEGRA

Lighter the rear the less traction the rear will have as the diffs will spool on corner's and not put any power down....thicker is the opposite....it Will put the power down evenly to both wheels and Allow the rear end to come around...thats as simple as i can say it.