Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

need new engine !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 08:57 AM
zonda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need new engine !!!!

HI, im currently running a mach .28 in my hyper which doesnt have alot of compression and drinks fuel. was considering putting a hyper 21 8 port in my hyper. I dont race so theres no point buying a top of the range mill and these 8 ports are so cheap. how do they compare to my old mach .28? will it be faster and will the run times be better.
thanks.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:55 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: need new engine !!!!

Hyper 8 port good engine. Bigger engines are normally slower but have more low end torque. Your 21 size engines normally turn more RPM. The Hyper 21 8 port should not have a problem smoking a Mach 28 if broke in and tuned properly.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:18 AM
nissan300ztt

Yeah man and dont look past an OS motor. They are pretty good. Also check out ebay. You can get a top line mill usually at a pretty decent price.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:30 AM
zonda

cheers guys, I've beein looking round ebay seen some good prices for the 8 port on there and also other motors like the Rossi Mamber. just want a good priced 21 to have some fun with this year when the weather starts getting better, i wa running my hyper up a moutain in the snow today was good fun till i ran out of fuel [:'(]
My mach 28 prob doesnt have any low down torque, its got little compression so a new engine will feel completely different.
what pipe do you recomend running it with.

sorry one more thing how much better would the OS V-spec be seen a few brand new ones on ebay. the only thing that woukd put me off is the front bearing I keep hearing about.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:36 AM
nissan300ztt

cheers guys, I've beein looking round ebay seen some good prices for the 8 port on there and also other motors like the Rossi Mamber.
I have heard those mamba's are a pain to break in. The OS are easy to break in and hold a tune well. Even an axial .28 spec 1s will run great and they dont suck down fuel either. And they are great engines. For how cheap they are. They are a great mill. But axial does make the mills for HPI.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:41 PM
jonnymac

ORIGINAL: zonda

cheers guys, I've beein looking round ebay seen some good prices for the 8 port on there and also other motors like the Rossi Mamber. just want a good priced 21 to have some fun with this year when the weather starts getting better, i wa running my hyper up a moutain in the snow today was good fun till i ran out of fuel [:'(]
My mach 28 prob doesnt have any low down torque, its got little compression so a new engine will feel completely different.
what pipe do you recomend running it with.

sorry one more thing how much better would the OS V-spec be seen a few brand new ones on ebay. the only thing that woukd put me off is the front bearing I keep hearing about.
I have the hyper 8 port and the Mamba. The 8 port is a lot cheaper and fast in outright speed. A quite good budget engine.
If you can stretch to a mamba though get one. Its much stronger at the bottom end and still has a a high top speed. It is a better engine all round, but will cost more. If price is an issue the hyper 8 port will not let you down, but if you can afford the Mamba then definatley get that.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Force4x4

I have the Mamba .21 in my buggy and it's a great engine, not as good as my V-spec but still an excellent mill. Just remember, if you get the Mamba it takes about 2 gallons of fuel to break it in and it is a pain in the first stages of break-in and make sure that you either pre-heat before starting or you have a strong starter box because the Mamba is tight.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:47 PM
zonda

well I went a head and purchased a new engine. I got a RB WS7 III with just a gallon through it. comes with everything inlcuding a new clutch and a few spare glow plugs.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:15 PM
dominicevans

ebay?

how much and when you get it let us know if the engine is what was described
Old 01-06-2009, 06:28 AM
zonda

yes ebay £65 inc Postage. yeh I sure will. He said he's never had any trouble with the engine an its never been run over 250 degrees.
so hopfully it should be alrite.
hey If i like this mill alot I might even invest in a brand new RB.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:22 AM
jonnymac

RB's are about as good as they come. Just hope and pray thata gallon is all thats been through it and he knew what he was doing.
Its always hard with second hand engines as you only have their word for it.
That said if it has been decently looked after you should get a good life and loads of performance from it.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:01 AM
stz28

Buying used engines on eBay is a crap shoot. I bought a number of them over the past few years, about half of which were bad or worn out (even though the seller said they "ran strong" or had "just a gallon" through them).

Here is a recap.

Mach 26 - blown (seller refunded money)
Mach 26 - well used, ran ok for a gallon or so before dying
Hyper 21 8port - well used, ran only a short while before dying. Resold "as is" on eBay
Torq 21 - bad carb. Fixed. Resold on eBay
Go 3 port race - low compression, bad o rings in carb. Rebuilt, runs great!
Hyper 21 4 port - ugly, dented fins, but ran well. Resold on eBay
Mach 427 - a little stiff from sitting, but runs strong now.
OS 21 RG #1- runs well
OS 21 RG #2 - also a solid performer

As you can see, about half the time I was "buying someone else's problem."

Hope you have good luck with yours.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:03 PM
DS

I think u will be buying another engine.... should have saved that 65, ur buying someone else's problem. Could of got a thunder tiger .21 for 114...but good luck