Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

New Motor for XRay XB8

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Extremerc12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Motor for XRay XB8

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a new motor for my XRay XB8. Right now it has a Wasp .28, but its about had it, so I am in need of a new motor. I have a budget of about $250 for a new motor. I am looking for something with a pull start this time, as I don't really want to use my bump box anymore. What does everyone suggest? I am kinda new to buggy's and .21 and bigger motors. Currently, I run two T-maxx's and a Revo. I used to run the XRay, but all the issues I am having with the motor has made it no longer any fun.

Thanks,
Chris.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:07 PM
stz28

Default RE: New Motor for XRay XB8

Would suggest a Mach 427...which will cost less than $200. This is the stock engine for both the Losi LST2 and Eight. Horizon Hobby sells it for $145 plus $20 for a pull start.

Lots of low end, and very, very user friendly.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Extremerc12

Should all work fine if I couple it with my RB pipe and header correct? Seems like that might be a good idea for now. Maybe it was a few years back, but I vaguely remember an O.S. .21 for around the same price. It was the cheaper version of the 300 dollar .21. I might be completely wrong though. I just remembered that because my friend has it on his MBX. Either way, the Mach looks like it would do well for a while. Oh another question, the mach has the shaft and everything on it stock to accept the pull start?
Old 01-05-2009, 01:40 PM
channah
My Feedback: (5)

You are thinking of the OS VG. It's a good motor. I run it as my spare. It's not going to have the ponies of a V-spec, but if you can't drive, that extra power will be no help. It's easy to tune as well.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:07 PM
jonnymac

ORIGINAL: channah

You are thinking of the OS VG. It's a good motor. I run it as my spare. It's not going to have the ponies of a V-spec, but if you can't drive, that extra power will be no help. It's easy to tune as well.
He's actually thinking of the RG, which shared a visual similarity with the RZ which was the higher performance engine.
Neither of these are made any more and the VG is a very poor replacement.
The mach 427 is a good, user friendly engine as long as you don't want to use it for racing (its a .26 not a .21).
I have one in my MGT and it hauls that around very acceptably.
Its made by the same manufacturer as SH engines (and Nosram, LRP etc) and they are all good budget engines.
I'm afraid you're not going to get much better than that with a pull start.
You could also look at the hyper 8 port, which has a very fast top end at not a lot of price.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Extremerc12

What are you suggestions if I go back to my bump box. I mean I don't have any problems with the bump box, I just always liked the convenience of being able to use a pull start when I am quite a distance away from the box. All I really do with the XRay is take it to a track on off days and tool around with it on the big oval and the actual obstacle coarse so to speak. I generally race my t-maxx and Revo on Sundays during the summer. Thanks for all the help thus far, I greatly appreciate it.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:37 PM
jonnymac

Well for that money (~$250) you could look at the Rossi Mamba, Go tech 7 port (or 5 port if you want grunt over top speed) or the RB S5 to name but a few. I have a Rossi which I am very pleased with, though RB's are very highly thought of by most who have used them. The Go is a little cheaper but offers good performance for the money.
A lot depends on what you want out of it (high speed, hi torque etc).
This is not a definative list and look at Novarossi's within your price range as well.
There is no one engine that is best at any price range just ones to avoid, so if you get one of those mentioned above you should be fine.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:44 PM
jonnymac

double post
Old 01-05-2009, 05:31 PM
Extremerc12

From your post, would I be correct is assuming that you are saying that most of the NovaRossi's are good motors? I think I might take a look at those motors, and see which one I like for what I plan on doing with the car.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:16 AM
jonnymac

Yes, I wouldn't overlook a Novarossi. The P5 was always oustanding and the N21B is a good lower cost engine.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:42 AM
Extremerc12

So I am looking at
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/20388

I guess all the rotostart wands are all the same? That could be a solution to not having a pull start, but also not having to use my bump box all the time. I could for all intensive purposes just buy the wand and use my drill to start it as well.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:32 AM
jonnymac

Looks good, go for it.
There are a couple of downsides to any engine that is not bump start (ie pull start or rotostart), and they are that the one-way bearings tend to fail easily, and you get extra drag on the crank as it has to turrn the shaft in the one way bearing. Obviously with pull starts you also have the associated cord and spring problems.
In real terms it is doubtfull you will see much of a drop in performance, though reliabilty will never be as good as a bump start because of the starter mechanism.
As long as you maintain it well and get a stack of one-way bearings for it you should be fine.
I have bump start engines, pull start engines and roto start engines and to be honest my favourite starting mechanism is the pull start. That my opinion though lol. The problem comes in that the top engines only come as bump start, so you don't have so much choice.
That Novarossi should be fine for what you want. Unless you race on a fast wide open track, with very long straights, it should be more than enough for you.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:18 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mach 427 with closed backplate part# SWK8057 with a Muggy stock pipe and header, Fioroni clutch, in an RC8:

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=MOV06403.flv

http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...l?sfs=e13ffe4b

Can probably get it cheaper on ebay. Runs great with the stock Muggy pipe - better than with an 053 or JP-2 from what I've seen so far.

My favorite engine. I run it in MT's, truggies, and the buggy. Whether bashing or racing, it does the job well in all of them. Cheap, easy to break in and tune, reliable, not too pipe or plug picky.., and powerful.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Extremerc12

That mach ran quite well and did very well on the track runs. Thats basically what I do with my XRay. Like I said, I will occasionally race it a weekend or two, but I usually stick to my monster trucks. I will consider both the Rossi and the Mach. I thank everyone who has responded especially jonny for all their help.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Extremerc12

With the Mach 427,

http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...-Engine/Detail

Can I just put the pull start on it, or do I need to buy any additional equipment to get it pull start ready?

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:19 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Mach 427 with closed backplate part# SWK8057 with a Muggy stock pipe and header, Fioroni clutch, in an RC8:

Can probably get it cheaper on ebay. Runs great with the stock Muggy pipe - better than with an 053 or JP-2 from what I've seen so far.

My favorite engine. I run it in MT's, truggies, and the buggy. Whether bashing or racing, it does the job well in all of them. Cheap, easy to break in and tune, reliable, not too pipe or plug picky.., and powerful.

Is it just me, or are you running a Buggy ?
Old 01-07-2009, 05:47 PM
pyromania
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: supertib

Mach 427 with closed backplate part# SWK8057 with a Muggy stock pipe and header, Fioroni clutch, in an RC8[

I have to agree with HerrSavage. The Mach is one of the best engines I have ever used. Sure its not a V-Spec but it is one amazing engine. Especially since a new piston and sleeve cost around $40. I have mine paired up with a JP-3 and 4 shoe carbon clutch. My 8ight can now easily clear the tripple at the track even when a little rich.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:23 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: supertib

Yeah, the title of the clip is just wrong.. First and only time I've ever run a buggy, and though the engine was illegal, I did the whole race weekend, including a 20-minute semi and 30-minute final, with a 30-minute truggy final in between.. Was mental - one after the other.. I was FIFTH from 21 going into the final - would've never expected that.. Had some issues running out of gas on the track though in the final, so came in like 8th.. [sm=red_smile.gif] Still, was fun just to experiment...
Old 05-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Extremerc12

Hey guys, I am finally going to go ahead and get the Xray back up and running. Mainly due to the fact that I am done with college. Anyway, I am going to purchase the Mach.

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c....pl?pn=DYN0895

Now I have a question regarding the pull start/spin start combo that is out there.

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...ns&pn=LOSR1037

Will I be able to just bolt this up and be able to pull and spin start, or am I going to have to change the backing plate for the spin start/pull combo and change the shaft? Also I plan on running O.S. #8 glow plugs in the motor. Are there any objections to that? Basically, should I run O.S. # 8 or go to MC59 or O.S. A5?

Thanks