Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

lean bog?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 09:42 PM
maccauley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lean bog?

Hey,
I have been running my Go 3R a lot lately and i have noticed that it is lean bogging badly, or atleast that is what i think is going on. the engine is running at 210 based on my temp gauge and it accelerates very well but when i get to full throttle it starts to lose revs. the pipe is spitting out fuel and i have smoke so i dont think its too lean. could this be something else? thank you for your time.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:51 AM
K_B

Default RE: lean bog?

Sounds like the bottom end is set too rich and the top end is set overly lean to compensate. I would richen up the high speed needle a bit and then start leaning out the low speed needle. You should see a noticeable increase in acceleration and probably an increase in temp. Keep an eye on the temp and if it's getting hot, richen up the high speed needle. Hard to know for sure without actually seeing it and hearing it first hand. I would highly recommend getting some assistance at the track.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:45 AM
j_blaze

ORIGINAL: K_B

Sounds like the bottom end is set too rich and the top end is set overly lean to compensate. I would richen up the high speed needle a bit and then start leaning out the low speed needle. You should see a noticeable increase in acceleration and probably an increase in temp. Keep an eye on the temp and if it's getting hot, richen up the high speed needle. Hard to know for sure without actually seeing it and hearing it first hand. I would highly recommend getting some assistance at the track.
you called it, lean bog. to eliminate the "lean" you richen. if the top is too rich for the bottom, lean bottom. on the go carbs though you want to find a tune from lean bottom and rich top with 1mm idle stop. at temp, with the hsn slightly rich (does not clear out for more than 2 seconds at wot on box) set idle so it idles at full brake then 10 seconds later it drops to 4 stroke, 10 seconds later it chokes. this is perfect, now just lean the top so it looses smoke at the end of the straight away. should run crisp and have good punch all day with good temps. once your idle is set it is now a single needle carb, just tune hsn to conditions.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:58 PM
maccauley

i have tried leaning out my bottom end and richening up my top end and i get the same results. what temp do these engines like to run at. i have been told not to go over 210. I will try your suggestion of how many turns out and see if i get anything different. i am running a 053 pipe will this cause the lean out at top end? thanks again
Old 01-10-2009, 10:19 PM
j_blaze

that motor likes that pipe a lot, try running a lap very rich, then lean it 1 hour every lap till it starts to lean bog again, then go back 1 hour.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:26 PM
maccauley

ok thank you very much, i assume the lean bog isnt hurting my engine that much right. i have only noticed it doing it the last 3 tanks.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:11 PM
maccauley

sorry to bring up an old post but, I checked my clutch shoes and they are badly worn, could this be the cause of my lean bog under proper tuning conditions?
Old 01-22-2009, 11:28 PM
dicko

it'd more likely slip not cause the lean bog. richen your HSN and retune so the bog goes away, then tune your LSN to get the take off right. do this after you have fixed the clutch & set the idle screw up correctly.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:50 PM
madbrad70

If you know your clutch is bad fix that first. Once that is fixe set you needles back to factory spec's and start from there. The factorys settings are int your motors manual that came with it.

Keep us posted on how its going and we can offer suggestions based on what you have done. Good luck!
Old 01-23-2009, 01:53 PM
madbrad70

Check out this video on youtube, they give you an idea of what your motor should do if runing correctly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJFsJ...eature=related
Old 01-23-2009, 02:42 PM
slayerphonics

ORIGINAL: maccauley

Hey,
I have been running my Go 3R a lot lately and i have noticed that it is lean bogging badly, or atleast that is what i think is going on. the engine is running at 210 based on my temp gauge and it accelerates very well but when i get to full throttle it starts to lose revs. the pipe is spitting out fuel and i have smoke so i dont think its too lean. could this be something else? thank you for your time.
Check your carb for leaks, my 3R did the same thing when it had carb leaks, so did my friends
Old 01-23-2009, 05:39 PM
maccauley

about the carb issue i was told to replace the stock carb with an os carb to make the tuning easier. which os carb would this be? thanks again ill keep you updated