Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Losi 8ight 1.0 Setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Chris_RC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losi 8ight 1.0 Setup

I have the losi 8ight rtr with jp-3 pipe, airtronivs 94357 for throttle, and futaba s9351 for steering. I recently went to my local track, Thunder Alley, and I noticed the rear end was really loose. I was running Panther Komodo Dragon 2s (they look alot like crimefighers) with hard foams, so I thought that could be partly the problem, but I dont want to get a new set of tires now. What I am looking for is stability and rear traction. I was thinking putting more rear toe in on it (if so where can I buy it?). But is there any other things that you would suggest to calm the rear down and make it easier to drive? Also, I noticed that my fronts wore alot faster than rears. Why is this and can I switch fronts for rears when the fronts get more worn to equalize tire wear? thanks!
Old 01-12-2009, 05:51 PM
K_B

Default RE: Losi 8ight 1.0 Setup

If the tires are the culprit, try different tires. Tires are 75% of the battle with setups usually. To calm down the rear end, many people swap in a 3/3 anti-squat/toe plate in the rear:

http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...idproduct=2684

There are different ones from different manufacturers including adjustable toe plates too.

Have you tried any of the setups on Losi's site:

http://www.losi.com/Products/Support...rodID=LOSK0800

Front tires are wearing fast than the rear because weight shifts to the rear allowing the fronts to spin. You can swap them if you so choose. If you want them to wear more evenly, use thicker oil in the center diff to distribute power to the front/rear more evenly.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Chris_RC

I am running the Drake neo06 setup. On their site it says: Adam Drake's Setup from the UK Neo-Buggy Race

It is at 5/7/2 now. Someone who was helping me said it felt foreign to his brothers Losi 8ight rtr and to run 5-5-3 in the diffs. he said his brother ran my same setup and that is what he cahnged and it should help it alot. What would that diff setup do? he also said to move the shocks to 3 on the tower. The Losi manual isnt that good for explaining setups..... []

So if I would change the diff oil from 7 to 5, my fronts will wear extremely fast, but tyhen what will it do with stability/traction? Same about 2 to 3 in rear diffs.

THANKS!!!
Old 01-12-2009, 06:05 PM
K_B

Here's a link to the X-ray Setup Book in PDF format. It should help.

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/sho...p?file_id=4461

I'm no expert with setups either. I just know the very basics. If you run thinner oil in the center diff, you put more power to the front wheels. This means that the front is doing more work to move the car and will pull it through the corners a little quicker and turn sharper since the rear wheels won't be pushing as much. With only 2K in the rear (which is what I run too), you get more diff action and allows sharper turning as well. But it also makes it a little less stable when exiting a corner from what I've experienced.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Chris_RC

Thanks alot! Your are the only person who responses to my threads!
Old 01-12-2009, 06:50 PM
K_B

I'm a friggin' Saint!

I think it has something to do with the fact that you seem to be getting into territory where there is no real easy answer. So people either don't know how to answer, or don't/can't take the time to answer. Plus, the traffic on this forum is down a bit maybe due to the off-season.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Chris_RC

There is no off-season in socal! I think it hit the 80s today!!
Old 01-12-2009, 07:26 PM
K_B

no comment
Old 01-12-2009, 08:42 PM
buglite62

I'll share our winter storm warning with you. The AK cold finally got to us in MI. I run the 3 toe/3 squat in my rtr and it held the rear pretty good. I think it drives more stable at higher speeds, and rotates around the corner better. Not sure if this is part of it but it get's bouncy in the rear more when the track gets blown out with the squat in there. Going up 5 in shock weight usally takes care of that. I only found the dragon 2's to work good in a clay/ sand (heavier, loose) surface. I tried them on hard clay and it was like glass. hope that kinda helps.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Chris_RC

This track isnt clay (I dont think). it is kinda like Crimefighters.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:44 PM
rccheech

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

There is no off-season in socal! I think it hit the 80s today!!
Whatever, It's in the single digits in southeast Michigan!! LOL [:'(]