Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Have you tried these on your race motors?

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Have you tried these on your race motors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Inside_Line

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you tried these on your race motors?

Wondering if you guys have tried these covers on your buggies, you can find them on e- bay? Any feedback welcome.

Thanks.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:47 PM
ace9213

Default RE: Have you tried these on your race motors?

been wondering the same thing. only thing im worried about is that it will restrict air flow
Old 01-13-2009, 03:52 PM
adam-69

They are good if you run on a very dry dust track.

I dont use them but i drive on tarmac, astroturf and wet mud so dust isnt a problem.

They dont restrict airflow, but an over-oiled airfilter will mess it up!
Old 01-13-2009, 04:42 PM
slayerphonics

ORIGINAL: Inside_Line

Wondering if you guys have tried these covers on your buggies, you can find them on e- bay? Any feedback welcome.

Thanks.
there good, and don't restrict air flow to any noticeable amount. You'll thank yourself if your running when its really dusty out and your filter gets caked with dust the first tank of fuel, you just take the cover off and dust it off, saves filter changes.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:43 PM
INTEGRA

I dont use the full wrap anymore...but i use 1/2 of what is pictured....still keeps the filter clean just not as restrictive when caked in dirt.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:24 PM
hrdcoreglf

A two stage filter is just fine. If you change your outside foam every couple of heats, your oiled foam lasts a whole race day.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:41 PM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: hrdcoreglf

A two stage filter is just fine. If you change your outside foam every couple of heats, your oiled foam lasts a whole race day.

but the outter filter is pretty much garbage after that.....my method will ensure the pre filter Never lets Anything Through.

this is after 2 whole days of racing w/No filter change
Old 01-14-2009, 04:49 PM
ace9213

what exactly is that integra? and how do you keep it on the filter? it looks like two small zip ties.

Oh off topic but hows that picco engine you have in there?
Old 01-14-2009, 05:59 PM
INTEGRA

they are black throttle bands....from walmart....a small package with multiple sizes....they work for lots of things....throttle bands when needed.....air filter holder deally...gas tank bands to ensure the lid is closed dispite what you pitman pulls in pit row...they are very useful...i keep a bunch in my pit bag for all sorts of occasions.

the Jpx i love......i only run modded motor's done by Maximus....as he's local to me and in reality they are almost Too ballistic in buggy...in truggy they are purfectly suited.....i just so happen to be able to wheel his monster's in buggy.....i am testing out a V-spec this next weekend tho and hope for good results.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:01 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I can race a whole day on a dusty track with out changing my outer filter and the inner never gets dirt to it.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:39 PM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: 46u

I can race a whole day on a dusty track with out changing my outer filter and the inner never gets dirt to it.

lucky you....not the dirt i race on....also the losi filter being thinner then most prolly dosent help.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:53 PM
Chris_RC

INTEGRA, I am still trying to see how air gets in there!! I mean if you would fold a paper towel in half, then put it on the air filter I think it would be very restrctive of air instead of that filter in the 1st post.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:23 AM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

INTEGRA, I am still trying to see how air gets in there!! I mean if you would fold a paper towel in half, then put it on the air filter I think it would be very restrctive of air instead of that filter in the 1st post.

i used to use the full wrap....i had maby 4-5 race weekends with the filter's like that...No issues....i just recently decided to cut down on how many times around i go....so like i said i now use 1/2 of whats pictured....basically i get 1 layer and a couple mm of overlap so it dosent all come apart.....put a peice of shop towel over your mouth and breath through it....its barely restricted if any.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:03 PM
dustineich

integra, it looks like you jb welded that carb where the aluminum and composite meet... did that solve the tuning issue with the picco carbs... if so please let me know all the places you used the jb weld.... you will love the os... ii just got sponsored by IDM tuned motors, but the picco carb is a PITA.... i have managed to lathe an OS carb to fit, but would like to use the picco since i drive for them...
Old 01-15-2009, 10:06 PM
vnmsgt

You can also use Vet wrap from a feed store and other places. I used to use them and it did keep my filters extremely clean but after awhile I wanted to see if it did restrict airflow and held a new piece to my mouth and tried breathing through it and it was pretty hard, so it did restrict airflow. I never had a problem though but I do not use it anymore.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:11 AM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: dustineich

integra, it looks like you jb welded that carb where the aluminum and composite meet... did that solve the tuning issue with the picco carbs... if so please let me know all the places you used the jb weld.... you will love the os... ii just got sponsored by IDM tuned motors, but the picco carb is a PITA.... i have managed to lathe an OS carb to fit, but would like to use the picco since i drive for them...

yes the carb is sealed.....but i wouldn't recommend JB....i got that motor from my modder (maximus) and he already did the JB...as you can see the white is 1211....my preferred sealant.....as i actually have seen a carb sealed with JB and the seal bead just Fell off one day....so i like the 1211 over the JB....that one pictured has held up for this whole season no issues......other places to seal would be the pinch bolt....the base of the carb...and the backplate if you ever see any moisture developing there....also im anal and seal the whole Highspeed needle as well.....Awesome a OS carb in a picco....I ALWAYS wanted to do that...with OS or a Ninja...the 2 best carbs on the market imo....3rd would be Nova i guess.....for all the downfalls the picco has...the benefits FAR outweigh them imo....with a modder's touch the Jammin/picco/LRP/Orion can be animals on the track....and for the price of the jammin version you cant go wrong.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:37 AM
Chris_RC

Ill do that paper towel thing INTEGRA. See how is works.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:04 AM
hrdcoreglf

They are not trashed, just dirty. Then I wash them in soap and water as part of my after raceday clean up. Good as new. Filter foams are like glow plugs, they are disposable parts, when they don't work effectivly anymore you throw them away. What ever works for ya. Just as long as we keep the dirt out and the air in, right.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:07 PM
dustineich

thanks...
Old 01-22-2009, 02:03 AM
Inside_Line

Cool thanks.