Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Drive cup removal - PLEASE HELP BEFORE I THREW THE THING OUT THE WINDOW!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Drive cup removal - PLEASE HELP BEFORE I THREW THE THING OUT THE WINDOW!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 10:02 AM
pullpete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive cup removal - PLEASE HELP BEFORE I THREW THE THING OUT THE WINDOW!!!!

OK right well im in the middle of fixing my buggy but im stuck!! Ive taken apart the gearbox casing, but i cant remove the center dog bone cup from the pinion gear which is inside the gearbox. I've removed the grub screw and tried prising it off, but the thing seems to be jammed on there.... how do i remove it please??

Cheers

P.S. the car is a Hyper 7 and its the front gearbox
Old 01-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Drive cup removal

It is just pressed on there now if the grub screw is off. Use some pliers and just wrap the outdrive cup in a few places. There isn't much of a secret, just use a little more elbow grease. Use a screwdriver to pry the cup off if you can.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:44 AM
stz28

Probably rusted on. Spray with WD40 and let it sit for a bit....then tap it loose with a hammer.

Or, if the bearings are still good. Put the locking screw back in and just leave it.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:53 AM
pullpete

Well i need it off as im replacing the gearbox casing see. I did give it a soak in WD-40 yesterday but seemed to make no difference. I will give the pliers and cloth a go later.

Could i also try bashing it off from the inside with some sort of dowel type thing/allen key? I mean if you look through the pinion gear on the inside of the gearbox it looks hollow untill it reaches the drive cup, but it might be that i'd just be bashing on the 'end' of the pinion.... if that makes sense?
Old 01-16-2009, 01:19 PM
pullpete

[:@] this sodding drive cup isn't coming off for love nor money!!! and its really starting to piss me off!

Cant get any kind of decent purchase on it with pliers. Been soaking it in WD-40 and taping a screw driver bewtween it and the bearing, then trying to lever it off... it sooner bends the screw driver then the thing moving!

There MUST be some secret to this?? Its only a few weeks old so its hardly been sad to rust solid..... PLEASE HELP SOMEONE BEFORE I THROW IT OUT THE WINDOW!!!!
Old 01-16-2009, 02:16 PM
rclynx

Default RE: Drive cup removal - PLEASE HELP BEFORE I THREW THE THING OUT THE WINDOW!!!!

Give us a picture M8 might be able to tell whats going on then [&o]
Old 01-16-2009, 02:45 PM
INTEGRA

Default RE: Drive cup removal - PLEASE HELP BEFORE I THREW THE THING OUT THE WINDOW!!!!

take apart the CVD....you can usually press the pinion off by whacking the pinion from the inside....unless these are non re-build able CVD's of coarse.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:47 PM
adam-69

It's a dogbone/drivecup set up i believe, so theres no hole to get at the pinion.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:54 PM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: adam-69

It's a dogbone/drivecup set up i believe, so theres no hole to get at the pinion.

darn...thats how i get a stuck pinion off most other brands...Mugen/losi/X-ray..the drive cup's are ushally hollow and you can just tap the pinion from the outside of the case.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:56 PM
adam-69

Hmm, i never actually thought of that way.

Integra you are teaching me a lot tonight! much appreciated! lol
Old 01-16-2009, 03:09 PM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: adam-69

Hmm, i never actually thought of that way.

Integra you are teaching me a lot tonight! much appreciated! lol

i try my best...but usually get distracted by a n00b who's got something out for me and get dragged into a BS thread and blah blah blah. ..w/e i just report meat heads like that now and let the mods deal with them.....any time you got a unique Q....feel free to PM me and ill do my best to get you an answer.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:23 PM
adam-69

Thanks very much!
Old 01-16-2009, 05:35 PM
youwish16

i have the same problem except i stripped the grub screw. someone used a little to much locktite! lol
Old 01-16-2009, 06:05 PM
pullpete

Well thanks to you Adam, alot of heat finally got it off in the end and its all fixed and back together now!! This buggy is turning out to be harder work then the girlfriend! lol
Old 01-16-2009, 06:23 PM
adam-69

Lmao! If she reads that you'l kearn what hard work is! haha!

Youwish - Heat that badboy up to crack the locktight, and hammer a torx screwdriver thats slightly too big into the screw, works a treat on stripped but deep hex's