Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

8ight clutch setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 12:08 AM
TRH227

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8ight clutch setup

so i ran my 8ight today and it ran great. (stock rtr) started it to run it another tank, gave it some throttle and it wound out but didnt move. so i tore into the clutch assembly to find that the clutch shoes fused to the flywheel and wont move. so i took them out and filed the edges down so they didnt catch the flywheel. i dont want to do this very often so whats your opinion on what to put on it as far as different clutch shoes. again its on the stock mach427
Old 03-29-2009, 02:42 AM
youwish16

Default RE: 8ight clutch setup

yea i have an 8ight and i really hated the clutch setup. i took it out and replaced it with a 3 shoe setup. all i did was shim behind the flywheel. works great, i run dynamite max life shoes, 1.0 springs and and a vented clutchbell(either 13 or 14 teeth). of course you have to but a shim between the shoes and the flywheel or they will hang on the flywheel

also, you'll have to watch your clutch shoes and you'll sometimes have to sand the edges because they will mushroom and hang on the flywheel
Old 03-29-2009, 03:21 AM
myst38

I had the same problem with the original clutch shoes. Way too soft.
Also using dynamite max life with with 2 x.9 and 2 x 1.0 springs.
Another option that I have enjoyed is the Answer RC clutch shoes and bearings. A bit softer than the dynamite, but smooth power delivery and decent life span.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:41 AM
varcracer

ORIGINAL: TRH227

so i ran my 8ight today and it ran great. (stock rtr) started it to run it another tank, gave it some throttle and it wound out but didnt move. so i tore into the clutch assembly to find that the clutch shoes fused to the flywheel and wont move. so i took them out and filed the edges down so they didnt catch the flywheel. i dont want to do this very often so whats your opinion on what to put on it as far as different clutch shoes. again its on the stock mach427

The stock rtr 8ight buggies don't use 4 shoes like the pro kits. They come with only 2 shoes. All you need to do is pick up a pack of either dynamite max life's or losi long wear shoes and then buy 4 new springs. Sand your clutchbell with some fine grit sandpaper before installing the new shoes. Put it back together and you'll have a sweet clutch setup. I also would suggest going to avidrc.com and picking up some new clutch bell bearings as well. Before you use them blow the grease out of them and your clutch will be problem free for quite a while.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:08 AM
INTEGRA

the Losi clutch is BY far 1 of the easiest most tunable clutch's available....the fact the RTR comes with only 2 shoes is a joke and gives the user's a false sence of what the clutch can perform like.....as varcracer stated all you have to do is get another set of shoes and you'll have a awesome racing clutch.....just make sure to NEVER use the silver springs as they are Way too stiff and WILL burn down Any shoe you use on it.....green and gold is my preference.....and ALWAYS include a pair or at minimum 1 carbon into the mix.....carbon shoes prevent slag build up from the alum shoes.....On a 2nd note...the Steel version of the losi wheel is also another awesome tuning aid....and will also Outlive the stock alum version.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:22 AM
TRH227

alright so it seems like ive got alot of options that you guys pointed out to me. thanks alot for all the help
Old 04-01-2009, 09:07 AM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

ORIGINAL: INTEGRA

the Losi clutch is BY far 1 of the easiest most tunable clutch's available....the fact the RTR comes with only 2 shoes is a joke and gives the user's a false sence of what the clutch can perform like.....as varcracer stated all you have to do is get another set of shoes and you'll have a awesome racing clutch.....just make sure to NEVER use the silver springs as they are Way too stiff and WILL burn down Any shoe you use on it.....green and gold is my preference.....and ALWAYS include a pair or at minimum 1 carbon into the mix.....carbon shoes prevent slag build up from the alum shoes.....On a 2nd note...the Steel version of the losi wheel is also another awesome tuning aid....and will also Outlive the stock alum version.

I have to agree

youwish16 , why did you hate the Losi clutch ? Fairly simply to setup and use .

I used to use just KH shoes but now using 2 carbon and 2 aluminum with green and gold springs and much better feel .
Old 04-01-2009, 09:34 AM
youwish16

i dont know, i guess just a bad experience with it. the first time i used it, i had problems with it so i just took it out and never looked back. im sure when it works good and all i just had a bad experience with mine
Old 07-23-2009, 07:44 PM
HawkChalk

Yeah I also had the clutch shoes fuse to my flywheel, as well as the the bell, and one of them disintegrated. Is there a reason to use four shoes instead of two? Is that a better setup? I was thinking about getting some M2C shoes, but they come in different types, ex. "regular-soft/medium/hard, light-soft/medium/hard, ultralight-soft/medium/hard". Whats the difference between the types? Here's some pic's of my clutch shoes flywheel, and bell... on the flywheel you can see where the shoes fused..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26747.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	1242515   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur51994.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1242516   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43778.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1242517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57739.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1242518  
Old 07-24-2009, 10:10 AM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: HawkChalk

Yeah I also had the clutch shoes fuse to my flywheel, as well as the the bell, and one of them disintegrated. Is there a reason to use four shoes instead of two? Is that a better setup? I was thinking about getting some M2C shoes, but they come in different types, ex. ''regular-soft/medium/hard, light-soft/medium/hard, ultralight-soft/medium/hard''. Whats the difference between the types? Here's some pic's of my clutch shoes flywheel, and bell... on the flywheel you can see where the shoes fused..
2 shoe's is Not enough surface area for the power we are putting down...you 100% need 4 shoes......for the M2C Shoe's......the soft med hard refer's to the compound of alum they are the Reg light and ultra light refer to the weight of the shoe.......i would personally recommend a Reg Hard shoe which will take a beating and last a long time in 99.9% of circumstances.....Also you flywheel might be hurt and in need of replacing....check where the spring's ride and double check everything before you use brand new shoe's....Also are you running buggy or truggy ?
Old 07-24-2009, 03:08 PM
HawkChalk

2 shoe's is Not enough surface area for the power we are putting down...you 100% need 4 shoes......for the M2C Shoe's......the soft med hard refer's to the compound of alum they are the Reg light and ultra light refer to the weight of the shoe.......i would personally recommend a Reg Hard shoe which will take a beating and last a long time in 99.9% of circumstances.....Also you flywheel might be hurt and in need of replacing....check where the spring's ride and double check everything before you use brand new shoe's....Also are you running buggy or truggy ?
Thanks man.

What springs would you recommend?
Old 07-24-2009, 03:17 PM
S.R.E Motorsports

how exactly are the 2 carbon/2 aluminum shows with green and gold springs set up? i am new to the 8ight and don't have a clue.. anyone have a picture?
Old 07-24-2009, 05:50 PM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: HawkChalk

Thanks man.

What springs would you recommend?
Stock settings is the most user friendly...gold on alum and green on composite.....Silver spring's will Burn up shoes real fast.....Do NOT stall the composite shoes more then green...they will also burn out real fast if you do.

ORIGINAL: S.R.E Motorsports

how exactly are the 2 carbon/2 aluminum shows with green and gold springs set up? i am new to the 8ight and don't have a clue.. anyone have a picture?

the stock set-up is imo awesome for buggy..the composite shoes lube the clutch and dont allow any slag to build up and you can easily get a couple gallons out of the shoe's before stuff need's replacing.....a little tip for you....when the shoe's get to 23.4mm they are Toast and time to replace...here's a pic of how you measure....that is also a black steel flywheel that can be used to tame down the bottom end of a powerful .21 when on slick track condition's....it's also alot more durable being steel over the alum stock flywheel.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:15 PM
djzachtyler
My Feedback: (4)

I had ordered a spare Losi clutch for my 8ight-T 2.0 and what I got was the stock deal out of the 8ight... had the samme thing second run on my spare engine everythinng seized up cause the aluminums shoes slagged up the bell and got stuck. My solution, well last call into Losi support about issues with my new 8ight-T 2.0 they were more than accomodating since I had already had numerous issues and asked if I needed any other spare parts, I was modest and got them to send me a set of gold springs to use with the spare set of clutch shoes I had from when my engine in the T went in for a warranty repair. this appears to be a known issue at this pooint with the stovk 8ight 2 shoe clutch, but is eeasy enough to fix... Like everyone else has said, just upgrade your shoes, and be sure to use the appropriate springs. In my case the clutch is now set up same as the stock clutch with 2 silver and 2 blues shoes, and gold springs all around with a 14t bell since this is getting put on my v-spec engine.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:56 AM
INTEGRA

all alum on buggy is imo too snappy...i would keep 2 composites in there and go gold on alum green on composite....but that's just me.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:25 PM
HawkChalk

...Also are you running buggy or truggy ?
...all alum on buggy is imo too snappy.
I run a buggy. Pondering a conversion to brushless so I don't t have to worry about things like this. Anyway what is "too snappy"? To much pull?

gold on alum, green on compo, will try.

also stock setup on the 8 1.0 is two shoe/silver springs...

Much appreciated
Old 07-28-2009, 01:42 PM
rccheech

I happen to like the silver springs with the aluminium long wear shoes, sometimes I'll use 2 gold or green springs, but mostly I like the snap so I tend to stick with all silver springs, the shoes DO wear fast with all silver, but as INTEGRA stated it's just what I perfer, do some experimenting with the springs and shoes untill you find a setup you like.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:34 PM
mabuecker
My Feedback: (8)

2 maxlifes 2 carbons 2 green 2 gold springs