Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Bevel gears design?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 11:34 PM
TurboBimmer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bevel gears design?

Hey guys,

I was looking the MP9 bevel gear design and it's pretty much the same design (stright teeths) as my old MP-5, the Mugen MBX6 however are helicoildal (sp?) design, wich me thinks is better for smootheness and overall work but I coul dbe wrong. Any advenatge or cons of each systems?

Thanks

MP9

Mugen MBX6

Old 07-30-2009, 08:37 AM
hrdcoreglf

Default RE: Bevel gears design?

Better mesh on the spiral gears, smoother transfer of torque.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:28 PM
noginblue

helical are stronger and quiter thats it
Old 07-30-2009, 04:11 PM
TurboBimmer

Wonder why Kyosho MP9 being a well known brand in bugy nitro scene didn't go this route!?
Old 07-30-2009, 06:21 PM
hakmazter

My guess is that they order them in by the hundreds and are still using them??? The price that they can command justifies the extra expense that it would be.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:04 PM
chrobar

Well I haven't had any problems with the "standard" bevel cut gears, although I did use both. The difference I feel is that the spiral cut gears are smoother, but require more maintenance to shim the diff appropriately. It needs to be spot on for the best performance. The standard cut gears aren't quite as smooth, but they feel more durable and raw, if you know what I mean.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:54 PM
j_blaze

i bealive the strr has the spiral cut gears, ae and mugen. not sure if they have them in the truggy why not on the buggy, hmmm...
Old 08-02-2009, 11:18 PM
chrobar

I know that truggies use the spiral cut gears so that they can use a smaller spur gear. It's why older truggies like the Jammin CRT used huge spur gears in the past. I guess the spiral gears allow a more extreme gearing in the diffs than the standard gears. However, spiral gears in a buggy don't seem necessary for gear ratios.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:13 PM
j_blaze

mugen and ae have spirals in their buggies, it allows for a constant state of mesh, when one tooth exits there is one hole tooth meshed and another beggining. only problem i see is shimming accurately is crucial, also bearing play needs to be checked for regularly. if the bulkhead or diff bearings get wobbly there will be too much play in the mesh.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:02 AM
lez1troubles

Hi, I have the Kyosho MP7.5 and it came with the same ones as the MP9, I changed them out for the ones from the MP7.5 US Sport's, NO problemo. Seems to be stronger but you have to shim them good or they just eat themselves up. Once they have been set up they work good;-)
I think the number are: Drive bevel gear(13tooth)IF21 and the bevel gear set for (MAD Force)MAO50. They fit eazy.