Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

experts wanted

Old 08-23-2009, 04:00 PM
loki-uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default experts wanted

please forgive me if i have placed this question in the wrong section.

recently bought my first Rc nitro cars cheap from a friend and after rebuilding them without manuals have become hooked on the sport but getting spares for my cars is becoming difficult.

looking to buy a new 1/8th scale buggy (£300ish budget) and have seen the "ansmann vapor". love the looks of this car and the price seems reasonable.

just wondering if anyone owns or has owned one of these (or any other ansman products) and could give me a basic review.

failing that recommendations of other 1/8th scale nitro buggies RTR for £300

thanks in advance
Old 08-23-2009, 05:45 PM
FoamyVictim

Default RE: experts wanted

If it's an RTR 8th scale for a cheap price, you prolly don't want it. It's best to get a good quality, well supported car. Getting something cheap or obscure, will only cost you more in the long run. If you can get one cheap, and get parts for it, then you should be ok, for a while.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:18 PM
sarmeneau

pick up the losi 8ight rtr best bang for your buck and you wont be disappointed.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:54 PM
j_blaze

right, i'd rather buy a used car with parts support than a new car with a 3 week wait to get parts.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:15 PM
rccheech

ORIGINAL: j_blaze

right, i'd rather buy a used car with parts support than a new car with a 3 week wait to get parts.
+1
Old 08-23-2009, 11:12 PM
djzachtyler
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: j_blaze

used Hyper 7... best bang for buck IMHO. love mine and it screams at the track!!! excellent buggy!!!
Old 08-23-2009, 11:48 PM
Steve.

Unless you have other cars to drive I would only buy a car with local parts support. Nothing worse that having you car sidelined for two weeks for a $10 part.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:35 AM
hakmazter

I would highly disagree on that comment. You have no idea how many times I have walked into the hobby store in the past and had them tell me they had to order parts from Horizon. When this happened, I was a owner of traxxas and Losi products. If you want specifics, emaxx and losi xxx and xxx-t. I think those are commonplace enough and my lhs does 3,000,000 per year in volume.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:45 AM
paul_TAB4

research the buggy's your interested in. then talk to your hobby shop. get the one that YOU like the most. and order spares when you purchase it. I don't know anything about the ansman vapor. but I do know that the HYPER 7 comes highly recommended. It's fairly cheap and is tough as they come. competitive, tough, good parts support ( over here any how ) and a decent price! good luck.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:19 PM
loki-uk

thanks for all the replies guys much appreciated i have taken your advice and started looking into the hyper 7.

couple of questions about this buggy.

1. i notice there are many hyper 7 variations, in your opinion which is the best all rounder for bashing and newbie racing

2. are there any upgrades i should spend out for straight away i.e. aluminum wishbones

3. reliability and robustness, after viewing a few ansmann vapor videos i noticed the front axle seems to break alot! how does the hyper 7 handle a few bumps and crashes.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:47 PM
K_B

The Hyper 7 is very popular because of it's reliability. I would get whichever is the current version, which it the Hyper 7 TQ Black Edition I think. I don't know where they come up with these names I am also a big fan of getting a car that has good local parts support. Or at the very least, make sure that you can get parts easily online. I'm not familair with UK hobby outlets, so I'm no help there.

Don't worry about upgrades until something breaks. The dogbones shouldn't be much of a problem. Don't upgrade the suspension arms to aluminum. You'll just start bending/breaking hingepins or the hingepin blocks. The plastic is plenty strong and very resiliant to impacts.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:40 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: hakmazter

I would highly disagree on that comment. You have no idea how many times I have walked into the hobby store in the past and had them tell me they had to order parts from Horizon. When this happened, I was a owner of traxxas and Losi products. If you want specifics, emaxx and losi xxx and xxx-t. I think those are commonplace enough and my lhs does 3,000,000 per year in volume.
I am guessing the LHS didnt have a track that raced 10th scales then? If so, that must be why they dont have the part. They stock what people have.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:35 AM
Allan Aguilar

In UK, perhaps HOBAO/OFNA will be your best bet for part support. Otherwise, SEARCH.........