Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

engine mount will not stay tight

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 01:54 PM
rcadict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine mount will not stay tight

i have a lx one, i did some upgrades to the buggy, like servos, a DYNAMITE MACH 2 .21 ENGINE , mugen clutch w/ 1.1 springs, an OFNA pipe, KOMOTO 2 tires, this actually does pretty good on the track, my problem is after about a 1/2 hour or so the buggy will just stop moving when i come off a jump, the gear mesh becomes so tight that the buggy will not move, and when i check the bottom screws and they are always loose when this happens, i have used red loc-tite, set the gap on the gears and cranked the screws down as tight as i can, and then eveything works fine for awhile,
Old 09-06-2009, 09:07 PM
dittch
Banned

Default RE: engine mount will not stay tight

do they screw into metal or do they go into lock nuts? If they go into lock nuts, buy new lock nuts, they can wear out. If they go into metal, take it all apart and clean the screw threads as well as the part they screw into using alcohol or nitro cleaner. They may be oily/dirty and that's why the loctite isn't working well.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:45 PM
rclynx

I hope you are using blue lock tite every time you remove and install the mount screws and making sure the threads are clean on both. If you are running hardened metal screws into aluminum the threads in the aluminum will polish and become smooth after many uses and it might be time to replace the mounts. That will insure a tight screw not backing out, but still use blue lock tite. Good Luck and HAPPY RC'en
Old 09-09-2009, 03:54 AM
HomeDawwg

are you letting the loctite cure after you screw them in?

I had the same problem, so i cleaned out the threads and put them in the position with blue loctite, left for 24 hours to cure. Havnt come loose in 2 gallons of fuel...
Old 09-09-2009, 08:23 AM
rcadict

i have been using red loc-tite, and i have let it set for a few days before i run it, i ordered new mounts and screws and i'm going to give that a try, i never had this happen before
Old 09-09-2009, 11:00 AM
rclynx

Don't use the red [:-] blue only, because of the properties of the red it will cause the problems your having after installing and removing the screws a few times. Good luck and HAPPY RC'en
Old 10-07-2009, 10:59 AM
lez1troubles

Loc Tite BLUE, but make sure you clean the threads from the screws first.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Zerodefect

I use a dremel with a steel brush wheel to clean the old thread lock out of the screw threads. Then I use Nonclorinated brake clean to clean the screw and engine mounts. Everything has to be spotless. Engine block, mounts, screws, chassis, spotless.

Then I apply blue permatex locktite to the screw threads and wipe off the excess form the bolt with my finger. It should have "blue" on it. Not so thin that its clear/black but not slopped on so thick that it sticks out of the threads like a drop. Too much is not good. You don't want TL mess all over your engine/chassis.

let it sit for 24 hrs at room temp or better. If you break the bolt loose you have to start over. Once that screw moves the "lock" is broken.

Red Surelock brand threadlock works even better but is overkill and very hard to remove even with heat.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:30 PM
winginit69

try white loc-tite for area`s that get hot, red and blue will soft`n up when they get hot.