Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Is it normal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 09:15 PM
pyrodon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it normal?

I got a question I just wanted to know if it normal for a front and rear diff to get hot will the car is idling? I am doing my brake in on my Rc engine, I stopped the engine after running a tank at idle and picked it up from the back of the car with my hand under the rear diff to realise that is it extremely hot, under the front diff was not as hot as the rear one. Is this normal?

Thanks
Pyro
Old 09-14-2009, 09:51 PM
kojak61

Default RE: Is it normal?

Is the car off the ground. Its best to let it idle, with tires on the ground. Check the idle it might be too high. You don't want the engine to be spinning the tires with no load on them.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:00 PM
pyrodon

the car is on the ground and when you lift it up the tires move a bit but not enough for the car to move
Old 09-14-2009, 10:17 PM
kojak61

Something is binding then, they should not be hot. Make sure the diffs mesh is correct.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:53 AM
RRoyPP
My Feedback: (2)

Are you sure that you are not just feeling the heat transfer from the engine to the chassis?
Old 09-15-2009, 07:50 AM
rc rock

your diffs aren't getting hot, your engine is....
Old 09-15-2009, 08:18 AM
hrdcoreglf

Your diffs can get hot if they are not greased. A lot of friction between crown gear and pinion gear. Also if you have stock diffs they could be filled with grease and not fluid which has broken down through use and need to be relubed or poss rebuilt.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:48 PM
xpresssi

If you are performing your break in, you are not running the car down the road @ high speeds. The motor is still at the factory settings witch will be really fat, so fat to the fact that you should have to empty out the tunepipe before you can start it to evac the excess oil. So have you leaned the air out yet ? What step of your break in did you notice your diffs being hot?

My money is on the motor warming everything up, unless you put the vehicle on a brick which will decompress you suspention and put the shafts at an angle which may cause a lil heat but not much. Do you Have greased difs or oil sometimes grease in front and oil in the center and rear. Do you have aluminum dif cases or plastic.

Give us just a lil more info.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:07 PM
jermainezey

do any one know any thing about the Tornado S30 rtr buggy is it a good buggy . i seen it on this site[link=http://www.redcatracing.com]red cat site[/link]
Old 09-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: jermainezey

do any one know any thing about the Tornado S30 rtr buggy is it a good buggy . i seen it on this site[link=http://www.redcatracing.com]red cat site[/link]
I would buy a Losi, Associated, Jammin, Caster, CEN, etc. They are much better quality and have parts support. Losi and AE cars have the best parts support and parts are a dime a dozen.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:35 PM
redlined_b16a

I heard of people burning the fluid in the diffs under extreme racing,oil in the diff getting really hot and melting the plastic case
Old 09-19-2009, 12:31 AM
xpresssi

The dif oil metled thermal set plastic ?? UM Wow
ORIGINAL: redlined_b16a

I heard of people burning the fluid in the diffs under extreme racing,oil in the diff getting really hot and melting the plastic case
Old 09-19-2009, 08:28 AM
jermainezey

well am not going to be doing any racing with it just back yard and parking lot drive