Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

which one to club race?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 12:44 PM
yotaman1991

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which one to club race?

well i,ve been reading on here about buggys now for weeks and every time i think i got it figured out i get pulled another way. i want to do about 90% club racing 10% bashing and just can,t figure which buggy to get. rtr seems to be my best choice for the time being since $ is an issue and i know i will replace everything over time as $ allows electronics then motor. so far i,ve looked at the hyper 8.5x rtr ,jammin x1x rtr sport ,x1x cr rtr, cen matrix r2 rtr ,or maybe a used rc8,db8 roller. i,m trying to keep it close to 500 bucks or so with good used electronicsand bump box. also if i buy a roller without motor setup that leaves me to have to buy clutch setup and pipe on top of things.most of these have decent motors to start with anyways,will probally get a .21 gotech down the line some or maybe a dynimite mach again ,i've had several and they just work too good for me to ignore.i really want to get my 6 year old out there racing with me since we didnt go to the track last season [i couldnt afford my crt last year] but i,m gonna get money together early this year so i can get my boy and his xxxt out there this year and we need to do it together and the only tracks that run on weekends are 1/8 for anyone out of novice. i,ve been racing nitro mts and truggys for seven years,even have some top three trophies to back that up. anyways give me your thoughts. also i know most rtr radios are junk, so was thinking of replacing with the cheapest 2.4 i could find but was just thinking that a good used fm with some features might come cheaper. go ahead and fill me with all your thoughts now...
Old 01-15-2010, 01:49 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: which one to club race?

i dont know, im not sure how competitve your going to get but i found a z-car RTR i dont know much about it, but it is attractive at the price [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/SH-ZMXB-8-1-8-Nitro-Buggy-RTR-Mugen_W0QQitemZ360219049133QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadi o_Control_Vehicles?hash=item53deba7cad]z-car/sh[/link]
Old 01-15-2010, 02:03 PM
kojak61

Losi 8 rtr cost a little more but comes with everything. Starter box included.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...=Product-Feeds
Old 01-15-2010, 02:59 PM
jmaxey51

do NOT get the cen matrix. i had two factory team kits and hey are ok but very heavy and out of date. and things break pretty easily. aso losi's are way more proned to breaking and wearing parts also they seem to eat up throttle servos. the rc8b are just a little behind IMO i have driven them and they are pretty good but just doesnt seem to be able to handle faster speeds as others. the jammin x1x sport RTR is great buggy. i had an x1 pro kit and i loved it i only cracked one a-arm and i ran it for a year. i am now running an x2, i converted my x1 to it. you will be able to get alot of parts for it off ebay because most parts off the x2 will be the same. also as the shark said the z-cars are amazing. i have ran them and loved them i picked up 2 seconds a lap after driving it for just ONE tank. awesome buggy or truggy. they are made by SH so its a big company but if you go with the z-car wait for a month or two because they are coming out with the 2010 specs. way better. today i went to the z-car disputer for the USA and Canada and i saw most of the new parts and all. and man those things are going to be amazing. alot of really cool features. he said they arent going up much at all if they even go up at all. also i do not recommend the hyper 8.5 because i havent seen one person like them and there handling sucks compared to the hyper 7. also they seem to break more frequently than almost every other buggy.

also take a look at the jammin JPX 21 engine it is better than the ones you mentioned IMO. they are faster i know that. and they also get pretty good amount of time on a tank, i get over 8 min a tank. the os vspec is pretty good also but i prefer the JPX over any engine i have ran.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:42 PM
yotaman1991

thanks for the input so far! as far as these z-cars go ,this is the only place i've been hearing of them[although i haven't really been on other sites since this one is serving my needs so far] but i do feel like i should dig alittle deeper into them for info. is the 8ight really prone to some weakness,i know they are a top name company and i,ve seen some pretty sweet looking deals on e-bay for1.0s completly setup at prices that don't turn me away. the jammin x1x sport is where i leaning for now since i had an x1 crt rtr with mods and i really loved it. that truck was tuff as hardened nails-sorta wish i never sold it and could still afford truggy racing.buggies are just alitte cheaper. as far as motors go i,ve raced with many dynamite mach .26s and .28s that i simply swore by for club races[yeah i know many of you will tell me this or that but on a construction workers salary that motor served me very well] although i am open to ideas on cheaper 21s since i,m going the buggy route. i will check out jpx21.the rc8 has really got my eye too but right now i don,t think they fit my buget. will an x1x hang with others? i know its an older model but it seems to fit the bill so far. there are some guys at my track-xrc raceway in pa that seem to have endless wallets. thanks so far.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:31 AM
lez1troubles

Maybe you should go check out the Kyosho MP7.5 mk3, it's race legel and comes with a very nice little GX.21 3.5cc engine. I've had mine for a couple of years now and never really had a problem with it, saying that I have to say that the track where I like to go is very rough and the buggy handles it as if it was flat. I've seen other buggies just crack or vibrate to pieces on it,i,e Hoboa hyper 7, GS Storms(4) plastic breaks to easy, a couple of Tamiya's(TNX and race buggies(501)) not to mention a few others.
Check it out, KYOSHO MP7.5 Inferno, they go for a nice price also. you'll find lots of info about them on the net and here on RCU.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:33 PM
stangman67
My Feedback: (1)

Jammin X1x rtr is a great buggy. I am running mine totally stock with a dynamite 053 pipe and upgraded servos and it is competitive at my local club track. It is good enough out of the box and very easy to upgrade down the road. I to had a cen matrix a year and a half ago and it is good for messing around but not all that competitive and I had some durability issues with the rear suspension as well. As far as engines go, JPX is a great engine, Go 5 ports are great and the Werks b5 is a great little budget motor that will do really well on the track.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:16 PM
Chris_RC

Losi's arent weak, they are one of the most durable buggies out there. Set the servo saver right and boil the servo saver arm and lower piece that fits onto it so it bends and doesnt break, get the new 3.5mm rear outer hinge pins from the 2.0 and rear the hinge pin holes, and that is really all you need. You might break a part here and there on hard crashes, but the Losi is really durable and handles great. Not to mention parts are super easy to find.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:55 PM
jmaxey51

i have seen losi break more than anything they seem the least durable. there is atleast 3 that break every race. rc8 and D8 also breaks alot also. i have heard people than run losi say they are more likely to break than most but i just like the handling of it so i run them anyways. i have been racing my jammin for over a year and i have only DNF one race with it because the servo burned out. i hardly do any maintenance on it . all i do is wash it and about every 7 to 10 races i change the diff oil. and every few months i change the shock oil. and i have had one problem with mine. nothing has worn or broke except i stripped out the plastic in one a arm. i raced one weekend running the crap out of it to see if it would break or now and it just will not break! i just see guy that run losi, D8 and rc8 work on them more than actually running them. i also have an O'donnell buggy and its great also its so durable. but the most durable is the z-car buggy, i have ran one and they are amazing but i just havent bought one.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Hyper7driver

If the Losi is too expensive, I say get something cheaper that will hold up like the Picco buggy, or a Hyper seven. Then use the left over cash to get a good receiver pack, and a GOOD charger for it, not some plug in the wall power pack looking thing, and good servos. Even the best of buggies will drive like crap with weak/slow servos.

The Ofna 10250 is an awesome starter box. It's got the large direct drive motor, no belts or anything to wear out. What can I say? Simplicity is the spice of reliability.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:00 AM
yotaman1991

i was wondering why the jammin x1x rtr isn't listed on ofna's site for fitting their hop up parts. is it also considered the x1 cause i see that. i want to know with out question what hop ups or spares are direct fitting for the buggy i chose.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:03 AM
stangman67

All of these will be direct fit. Tons of Hop-up parts. http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...A-Jammin-X1-CR
Old 01-18-2010, 04:06 AM
stangman67

Yes it is also considered the x1-cr. Same car just in a rtr version with a few downgrades
Old 01-18-2010, 04:44 AM
yotaman1991

sweet,thats great to know. options out the...nice . that sure throws fuel on my fire. its still gonna be about a month or so till i can get any thing. just want to get my homework done before i impulse buy.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:35 PM
yotaman1991

does anyone know where to buy a new 8ight 1.0 rtr? they should be cheap now that the 2.0 is out.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:53 PM
xxxtsuperstud18

ORIGINAL: yotaman1991

does anyone know where to buy a new 8ight 1.0 rtr? they should be cheap now that the 2.0 is out.
keep checkin ebay
Old 01-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Lurp06x

heres a losi 1.0 rtr new
http://www.gravesrc.com/LOSI_8IGHT_1...p/losb0081.htm

dont ask how i found the site. its not much cheaper though

but i got the jammin x1x buggy an have used it a little bit but not raced it an i like it.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:48 PM
jmaxey51

also keep in mind with the jammin x1 you can convert it to an x2 for just 150 more bucks. you can run the x1 and get used to driving because the x1 is easier to drive not as aggressive as the x2 and then later on when you become a better driver or if you just want to upgrade you can make it the newer design pretty cheap. i did that with my x1 after running it for an year.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:28 AM
yotaman1991

well i'm really liking the x1x and all its possibilities. might be the one. the hyper 7 black and the rc8 rtr rs seem sweet too. the hyper because it's cheap and the rc8 because i think i could run it rtr spec for awhile minus the servos and some fews nic nacs here and there. since i sold my x1 crt i sold all my other racing things too ,everything but my glow plug igniter and temp gun. i'm trying to fund a buggy that i can race and get into painlessly. i've made several hundred dollar mistakes in the past and just want to really think this one out in the next 4-5 weeks before taxes come in.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:18 PM
jmaxey51

well i'm really liking the x1x and all its possibilities. might be the one. the hyper 7 black and the rc8 rtr rs seem sweet too. the hyper because it's cheap and the rc8 because i think i could run it rtr spec for awhile minus the servos and some fews nic nacs here and there. since i sold my x1 crt i sold all my other racing things too ,everything but my glow plug igniter and temp gun. i'm trying to fund a buggy that i can race and get into painlessly. i've made several hundred dollar mistakes in the past and just want to really think this one out in the next 4-5 weeks before taxes come in.
the rc8 RTR is good too but remember it does not come with the big bore shock (16mm). they make a huge difference, way more than i thought they were. but there was one website, i think amain, that was giving away free big bores to people who purchased the rc8 but i dont know if they are still doing that. the x1x does come with the super big bores (16mm also) now.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:14 PM
yotaman1991

i must have missed that. i guess i just thought they came with them and over looked that. thanks for the info there. big bores seem to be the way to go these days.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:06 AM
jmaxey51

i must have missed that. i guess i just thought they came with them and over looked that. thanks for the info there. big bores seem to be the way to go these days.
yeah i think alot of people think that they would come with them because their new version pro kit comes with them but for some reason they dont put them with their RTR version.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:58 AM
yotaman1991

they seem too be a pricey upgrade too. i'm pretty sure i'll be making sure that what ever i buy will come with them allready. +1 for the x1x.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:48 PM
DrDremel

ORIGINAL: jmaxey51

the rc8b are just a little behind IMO i have driven them and they are pretty good but just doesnt seem to be able to handle faster speeds as others.

What are you talking about?..... The RC8B is probaly the most stable 8th scale buggy on the market at any speed.....That's what makes it such a incredible buggy. Plus, it offers the most in "bang for the buck" performance and durability IMO.

i have seen losi break more than anything they seem the least durable. there is atleast 3 that break every race. rc8 and D8 also breaks alot also.
i just see guy that run losi, D8 and rc8 work on them more than actually running them.
Although I agree with the D8 being flimsy, you're smoking some crack buddy..... The losi has "some" durability issues, but nothing that can't be solved, and the RC8 and RC8B are damn near bullet-proof.....
Old 01-23-2010, 10:43 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DrDremel

the rc8b are just a little behind IMO i have driven them and they are pretty good but just doesnt seem to be able to handle faster speeds as others.

What are you talking about?..... The RC8B is probaly the most stable 8th scale buggy on the market at any speed.....That's what makes it such a incredible buggy. Plus, it offers the most in ''bang for the buck'' performance and durability IMO.

i have seen losi break more than anything they seem the least durable. there is atleast 3 that break every race. rc8 and D8 also breaks alot also.
i just see guy that run losi, D8 and rc8 work on them more than actually running them.
Although I agree with the D8 being flimsy, you're smoking some crack buddy..... The losi has ''some'' durability issues, but nothing that can't be solved, and the RC8 and RC8B are damn near bullet-proof.....

HEY! do you want a mod to pull this thread?!
i will agree with jmaxey51, losi looks a little on the flimsy side (seeing a guy barely tap a barrier and break a control arm) i wouldn't call it crap though, the parts focus on weight, not durability because its a high end buggy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.