Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Just bought a GV Rex X! Problems :(

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Just bought a GV Rex X! Problems :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 05:15 AM
matthew.mre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a GV Rex X! Problems :(

Hi there everyone!

I've bought a Gv Models Rex X now as I want to get interested in Rc Buggies again. I bought one band new around 5 years ago but it was stolen so I didn't really want anything to do with them again until a friend persuaded me that I should get one again. So I looked on ebay and found a Rex X listed as not running for a reasonable price. I bided and won it. I picked it up and got it home. It wasn't in the best of states. Was a bit filthy, things were a bit loose, the synchros and flywheel were worn and the throttle servo was snapped. So then my friend kindly cleaned it all up for me, tightened things up and fixed the throttle servo. Then to the engine! It was SOLID!we couldn't pull the pull cord as it was too tight and tried rotating the fly wheel with our hands but it wouldn't shift. We got a friend to clamp it in a vice and he got some pliers on the fly wheel and it moved surprisingly easily. It now turns over when pulling the pull cord but is still a little tight. I had some old fuel from 5 years ago which had been stored in shade away from the sun and my old glow charger from 5 years ago. I stuck some fuel in, primed the engine, stuck the glow charger in the engine and tried to start it. It wouldn't start after many pulls until the point in which the coil in my pull start snappedSo I fixed the pull start, went to the local hobby shop, bought some new fuel and a new glow plug. Put in the new fuel and glow plug and tried to start the bloooomin thing again... but again it wouldn't start

I'm all out of ideas as to why the buggy won't start, maybe its the 5 year old glow starter although it does cause the glow plug to glow so I don't think it is!

Is there any way in cleaning out the whole engine?

All help and comments are much appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 03-20-2010, 06:20 AM
johndavis

Default RE: Just bought a GV Rex X! Problems :(

take the engine apart, soak it in alchol or mineral spirits wipe off put back together and use after run oil lighrly on all moving parts that should free it up alot
Old 03-20-2010, 06:37 PM
matthew.mre

Hi thanks for your reply,

I've just taken the engine apart. I couldn't get the piston out so left it in. I splashed some IPA alcohol through the engine and turned the piston many times to flush it through the engine. As I was doing this a bit of gunk has come out along with a small spring. I can't really figure out where this spring has come from. Anyways I started to put the engine back together and noticed that when I had fitted the back plate back on and the starter to the back plate it wouldn't turn the piston or flywheel? :S any ideas

Many thanks
Matt
Old 03-21-2010, 06:17 AM
chookman46

Depending on what engine it actually is, but the crackshaft should have a whole in the end of the big end journal. The spring goes inside the hole then there is also a pin that sit in the hole after the spring goes in. This pin is what the pull start uses to turn the engine. Have a look at the link below, scroll through to the last page and there is an exploded view of an engine. Look at the pull start assembly part #52091 and you will see the pin and spring. This goes into the end of the crankshaft journal.

http://www.ofna.com/pdf/eng-force21-P4,blackT8.pdf

As well as cleaning out the inside of the engine also pay some attention to the carby. Dissamble and clean any gum out of all the needles.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:09 PM
Ozmick

Exactly what I thought, as chooka has stated spring and pin engage with the cut out on the starter plate and when you reassemble if you rotate it prior to putting the bolts back in you will hear an audible click as it pops into the cut out.
If you happen to have lost it and can't get a replacement I have made one before out of the spring in a disposable lighter which worked a treat.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:04 AM
matthew.mre

Ok thanks a lot for your replies. Sorry it's been so late getting back I've had a lot of things to sort out.

Ok i now understand how the bits and pieces go together and have come to the conclusion that I've misplaced the pin. Any ideas where I can get a new pin from?

Many thanks guys
Matt
Old 07-14-2010, 01:55 PM
xxxnt236
My Feedback: (1)

buy new fuel! fuel does go bad over time no matter how you store it and that has been sititng too long.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:40 PM
matthew.mre

Yeah I tried some new fuel before I got the engine into bits but that didn't work. All I need now is a replacement pin to go into the end of the crankshaft journal then i get it all back together and give it another crack! Anyone know where to get a pin from?!

Many thanks!
Old 09-04-2010, 07:33 AM
matthew.mre

Bump, anyone know where I can get a replacement pin which goes into the end of the crankshaft journal?

Thanks
Old 10-01-2010, 07:04 AM
matthew.mre

Right update time!

After a long search I managed to find a wrist pin and spring, so I put them in, gave the engine a good clean and put a few drops on after run oil on the engine parts help them spin freely. I then put the engine back together and wiped up the remaining oil in the process. The engine now turns a lot more freely and feels a lot more healthy.

Now the engine I have appears to be slightly different to the one in the manual, it has one extra needle which is on the opposite side to the Low Speed needle. I did a bit of research and came across something which said to have this needle flush, so that it what I adjusted it to. For the Low Speed needle, the High Speed needle and the Idling needle I referred back to the handbook. The Idle needle says that it should be adjusted so that the carburettor barrel stays open about 1/16". It says the High Speed needle should be fully turned in and then backed out for 3 turns if the engine is new but doesn't specify otherwise. It says the Low Speed needle should be turned clockwise fully and then unwound for 7-1/2 turns. I don't know if that is 7 half turns or 7 and a half turns :S So the settings I currently have are 7 and a half turns for the Low Speed needle and 3 turns for the High Speed needle.

I have tried starting the buggy with these settings and I got it to start once on wide open throttle but it turned off immediately after. I have then tried starting without any throttle and it sounds like it's trying its best to start. It makes an engine noise on some of the pulls but doesn't want to start. Maybe there is too much overrun oil in the engine or maybe the settings are just completely wrong!

The engine is a force .25 engine.

I'm a bit baffled at the moment as you can probably tell haha.

Any ideas would be much appreciated