Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Flywheel issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 12:48 PM
rslarson4
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheel issues

Ok I have an Axial .28 and The flywheel is spinning. I know how to fix it, but when I try to remove the cluchbell, the engine just turns overs since the screw is tight. I dont want to use a piston locking tool, but how to I unscrew the screw?
Old 04-02-2010, 02:01 PM
aci155

Default RE: Flywheel issues

just crap the flywheel with some kind of holder, hold it tight and place it near(against) the engine, in order to stop it from spinning with the flywheel as you unscrew the little screw. good luck
Old 04-02-2010, 02:28 PM
rslarson4

I can't do that since the flywheel is loose
Old 04-02-2010, 03:12 PM
K_B

I double up a zip tie and stick it through the exhaust port with the piston at bottom dead center. It'll keep the piston from moving up without damaging the piston...
Old 04-02-2010, 05:41 PM
chookman46

You could try to hydraulic lock it to stop it from turning over. Take the glow plug out and fill it up with oil and put the glow plug back in. Just have to make sure the piston is above the ports or all the oil will run out of the cylinder.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Ardusv

Here is what I have done in this situation. I have a stainless steel bolt that is the same thread pattern as a glow plug. I set it in till it touches the piston head and then turn the screw in front of the clutch. I turn it slightly and then see if my bolt needs to be adjusted in some more. I do this till I can feel a little resistance. I then back out the screw and remove the bolt. I have never scratched the piston head or stripped out the glow plug port. I just take extreme care when doing it. Make sure the bolt is level and has no burrs on it.

Before anyone raves and rants that it will destroy the piston head let me say I have done this about 12 times and never even scratched the piston. It can be done and done without any harm to the engine. I find it is the easiest way to accomplish getting the clutch housing off to replace the flywheel when it is broken like this. And best thing of all no disassembling the engine to get oil out of it. Of course you can use nitro fuel.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:18 PM
JsK

If your going to use the ziptie method make sure and check exhaust port after to
make sure you didnt fold any metal into the bore. You can jam the piston but its
an awfull lot of stress on the rod. A crank locking tool is the way to go if you can
find or borrow one.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:27 PM
rslarson4

Can you explain the zip tie method a little more; never heard of it.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:25 AM
JsK

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuzEco3EDUM&feature=related]Nitro engine Disasembly[/link]

At the 2 minute mark you will see the method done with a popsicle stick, same thing
just a different SOFT object. You should not need to pull the head though.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:34 PM
rslarson4

I don't see how that would lock the engine so I can remove the flywheel.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:39 PM
skrilla

ORIGINAL: rslarson4

I don't see how that would lock the engine so I can remove the flywheel.
It will lock the engine by keeping the piston from going to the top. That way you will be able to unbolt your flywheel nut.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:43 PM
rslarson4

will it cause any damage to the piston?
Old 04-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Ardusv

It should not damage the piston if you use a zip tie or soft wood like pine; which most popscicle sticks are made of. Just make sure you do not leve a piece of plasyic or wood in the engine.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:22 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i usually just take the flywheel and wedge it by lifting up on one side with all my might (using hands only) on the copper acorn then unscrew it. i have also (carefully) taken locking plires and clamp on the crank shaft with thick cloth between the clamp then spun it off. just be careful not to scratch or dent it.

a little bit of heat from a heat gun works too, since the nut will usually expand faster then the pilot.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:51 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That zip tie method sounds like it would work the best. I have also put a couple pieces of fuel tubing into the cylinder through either the exhaust port or through the top of the head then put the glow plug back in. once you get the screw out of the pilot shaft you will have to remove the head to get the fuel tubing out. but at least you know you didn't damage your piston or any of the exhaust ports.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:53 AM
lez1troubles

what about just cutting off the top of the screw, taking off the clutch bell and then using a pair of pliers unscrew the rest of the screw which you cut??? Thats how I did it, worked a treat and no sweat about damaging anything.
Different people use different methods, try,try and try again until you succeed.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:07 PM
K_B

ORIGINAL: aci155

just crap the flywheel with some kind of holder, hold it tight and place it near(against) the engine, in order to stop it from spinning with the flywheel as you unscrew the little screw. good luck
I see what this guy is saying. I've done this myself to tighten the flywheel but it works for removing the screw too.

What he's saying is you need to apply pressure to the flywheel and push it against the crankcase. This should pinch down on the collet and apply enough friction to keep the crank from spinning. You'll have to push kinda hard, but it would be the simplest, quickest way of getting the screw out, unless the screw is really stuck. And you won't have to worry about damaging the pistion.

If that doesn't work, use the ziptie method or the one in the video. Yes, it put stress on the conrod, but if you don't use a crank lock, you've got no other choice...

Whatever you do, DON'T cut the head off the screw unless it stripped. You'd just be making things worse. That guy posts for the sake of posting...
Old 04-07-2010, 02:31 AM
lez1troubles

Thanks KB, but that I just post for the sake of it is bull sh§è, I am a mechanic and know what I'm talking about. I'm a ship mechanic but apply my skills to MX and sometimes help out on TEAM BRABHAM MERCEDES (DTM).
Old 04-07-2010, 06:55 PM
skrilla

ORIGINAL: lez1troubles

what about just cutting off the top of the screw, taking off the clutch bell and then using a pair of pliers unscrew the rest of the screw which you cut??? Thats how I did it, worked a treat and no sweat about damaging anything.
Different people use different methods, try,try and try again until you succeed.
I've done this and it worked pretty well.After cutting it there was little left to grab onto, so I used a dremmel to cut a slot into it.I was able to stick a flat tip screwdriver in and back the rest of it out. It came out easy since there was no longer the pressure from it being tightened against the shaft.