RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC 1/8th Scale Buggies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/)
-   -   Shock spacers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/2235147-shock-spacers.html)

gripfreak89 10-07-2004 07:52 PM

Shock spacers

1 Attachment(s)
Ok. I don't get it. Don't make fun of me, but I don't understand what these are for. Take a lok at my pic, what is the difference between the left shock and the right shock. Technically, their stiffnes is the same, what difference does the piece of plastic make?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? My thought is that using the plastic spacers the springs top ring that compresses them doesn't come loose. HELP, i know this may be really retarded for many of you , but I don't know. Thanx

JSW 10-07-2004 09:28 PM

RE: Shock spacers

Spacers are for everyone that don't have adjustable shocks.

gripfreak89 10-07-2004 10:13 PM

Do you mean Threaded shocks?

Ando 10-07-2004 10:48 PM

The spacers are a cheaper alternative to threaded shock bodies, but the effect is the same. They allow you to alter the ride height of your car by compressing (or uncompressing) the springs. Some people think that adding spacers makes the shock stiffer, but this isn't really true. Shock stiffness is determined more by shock oil and piston choice. A lot of people setup their cars, using collars or threaded bodies, so the lower suspension arms are level.

MassiveMods 10-07-2004 11:24 PM

if you have adjustables then then you wont be needing the spacers.. maybe yse the spacers to check that both shocks are the same..

Da Smak 10-08-2004 12:25 PM

Not true.

A lot of people that run threaded shocks use the spacers so they can equally wind the lock rings into place. They then leave them there to prevent the nut from moving as in your pic. The Idea of preloading the spring doesnt increase the rate of the spring (so your thinking is correct there) but to help set the ride height of the chassis. Normally though if your running over 15mm of spacers then your oil wt or qty is wrong.

smoothound 10-08-2004 12:42 PM

Surely the springs are wrong not the oil weight?

Da Smak 10-08-2004 01:36 PM

6 of one ........ If you only have one set of springs, then they can't be wrong. I should've said the oil wt doesn't match the springs rating.

gripfreak89 10-08-2004 03:33 PM

All my shocks in the swift came with these, I guess i don't really need them. Do you think kyosho blue springs will be good for this car? what difference will they make? (many people says the swift's springs are too soft.)

Da Smak 10-08-2004 04:37 PM

It all depends on which surface you are running on. Bumpy, then you want soft, Mild then Blue will be good and Hard smooth clay then white may be better. Then there's the oil wts aswell low for the bumpy stuff and hard for the big air and level sufaces. But if you want to get the Blue springs then I'd go with something around 25wt. It's all a preference thing.