RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC 1/8th Scale Buggies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/)
-   -   How to get the flywheel off? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/3144738-how-get-flywheel-off.html)

Alpharaptor 07-07-2005 11:54 AM

How to get the flywheel off?

I have an old Torq engine, I have never taken the flywheel off. According to the manual, after the nut is taken off it should just slide out. But, I could be wrong, it might be screwed onto the crankshaft. All attempts at sliding it off have failed, so I'm assuming its screwed on. But, thats the problem, I am without a crankshaft locking tool. So, withtout one, is there any possibility of removing the old flywheel? [:@]

I'd leave it on, but the current one is larger than the flywheel the MP777 kit came with, and is uncomfortably close to the brake and brakepads.

Any idea's?

slicks 07-07-2005 12:01 PM

RE: How to get the flywheel off?

Matt --- I don't think that it is screwed on -- it is just on the brass collett very tight. Do you have a dead blow hammer or a rubber mallett? You may need to knock that bad boy off. A few quick hits to the back of the wheel should do it --- but not too hard - you don't want to damage/bend the shaft.

If you have any more problems - call me at home tonight.

mbx5prospec 07-07-2005 12:25 PM

I would heat the flywheel and they carefully (Don't Burn Yourself) try to lightly hammer it off. If not, try some liquid wrench, but try not to get any on the bearing, it will displace the bearings oil

Alpharaptor 07-07-2005 12:42 PM

ORIGINAL: slicks

Matt --- I don't think that it is screwed on -- it is just on the brass collett very tight. Do you have a dead blow hammer or a rubber mallett? You may need to knock that bad boy off. A few quick hits to the back of the wheel should do it --- but not too hard - you don't want to damage/bend the shaft.

If you have any more problems - call me at home tonight.

I'll try working it off with a rubber mallett, I'll keep ya updated.

SManMTB 07-07-2005 12:47 PM

I've got a bearing puller I use for that. I can bring it this weekend if you like.
It's a craftsman, $30 at SEARS. Well worth the money.

slicks 07-07-2005 12:53 PM

OH - Man---- everytime I go to AutoZone I forget to get a bearing puller[:@] You are correct Christian that is probably the best way to get that flywheel off.

I never thought of heating it first before the hammer routine -- that is a good idea too! But I would shy away from using the liquid wrench -knowing me I would get it in the shaft bearing!

SManMTB 07-07-2005 01:05 PM

It just pops right off with that tool.

Alpharaptor 07-07-2005 01:38 PM

ORIGINAL: SManMTB

It just pops right off with that tool.
Ok sounds good, if I absolutely can't get it off today, I'll let it wait till next weekend.

Alpharaptor 07-07-2005 02:29 PM

Nope, it wouldn't budge, I guess I'll be installing the engine at the track next weekend.

Christian, about what time will you be arriving at the track next weekend?

SManMTB 07-07-2005 03:11 PM

I guess 12 on Sunday, maybe earlier. I might be there on Sat too.

Alpharaptor 07-07-2005 04:27 PM

ORIGINAL: SManMTB

I guess 12 on Sunday, maybe earlier. I might be there on Sat too.
Ok, I'll arrive 11:30ish on Sunday, that way I can get things all set up and ready to go.

Cya all there [8D]

everspeed 07-07-2005 06:28 PM

Put a short 3mm bolt in the end of the crankshaft, and thread it all the way in. This way you don't ruin the tip of your crank. Then use the puller. The screw should just turn right out. You can place a wrench, or some other flat fork behind the flywheel for support, and hammer it loose. But just remember, your crankshaft will be pounding the inside of your backplate. It's a good idea to remove the backplate if you use this method.

Galifrey 07-08-2005 03:11 AM

Put a bolt in the end of the crankshaft, support the sides of the flywheel in a vice with the engine between the jaws (free to move dont tighten the vice) then gently tap the end of the crankshaft with a mallet...

Should pop right off..

:D

ThunderbirdJunkie 07-08-2005 03:26 AM

just for future reference, what i use is a screwdriver between the crankcase and the flywheel and gently pry it off working my way around the circumference
my $.02