RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC 1/8th Scale Buggies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/)
-   -   Budget Engine (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/6919031-budget-engine.html)

AJ DRAGON 01-17-2008 04:35 AM

RE: Budget Engine

Hi

What about these.

[link=http://stores.ebay.com/Supra-Sales_Big-Block-Engines_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ2018377QQftidZ2Q QtZkm]Supra Sales [/link]

ecocav04 01-17-2008 06:49 AM

dont waste your money on those get the thundertiger engine it hauls. and its worth every penny

j_blaze 01-17-2008 08:14 AM

i've had those, the two 21's and the 27. the toki 21 is pretty good for the money, wierd carb has air leak i haven't figured out how to fix yet (its composite and melted some while i was heating the engine to check the font bearing. the sh (prp) one overheated a lot and the 27 was great but got an air leak. it may have been my upkeep but for $65 the toki is a good 21 to run on a track and the 27 will push around any truck or truggy for atleast a couple gallons before problems start. i still have the toki 21 and 27, they just need repair. i'm gonna order some bearings and new carb for toki 21.

JB COMP 01-17-2008 10:25 AM

ORIGINAL: 46u

ORIGINAL: JB COMP

when I got my STS I was only in to nitros for 1 1/2 years, and that was 2nd engine I have ever broke-in and that was my first race 21, the only other engine I broke-in was a force 26 which has a bad leak, so tuning that was a pain, I just let it burn up because I didn't want to by a new carb, and I hated that engine, so I let it bit the dust and got the STS, best move I've ever made since I started with RC's.

I took my first ever engine apart when I 10 maybe just turned 11 when I took my 2.5 apart, and before then, I never did anything with cars or engines.

the 21B was not bad to break-in, its pretty easy, the break-in method inthe manual is what I used and it was basicly a heat cycle, but now I'll be using the draked method or one close to it.

Are you talking about the break in method where you run it so rich it sounds like a 4 cycle and you hold the throttle wide open? NO WAY WILL I USE THAT METHOD ON ANY OF MY ENGINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!![sm=thumbs_down.gif]

Yup. I know 2 people that have had good luck with a break-in method like that. (j_blaze and donwunder) so I'm going to use it.

46u 01-17-2008 11:28 AM

Well let us know how it works out but no way I will do it as it just puts to much stress on the engine. I defiantly would not do it with the tight pinch a STS has. I know some that have tried that method with mixed results. Heat cycling works fine for me and I get between 8 and 11 gallons out of my engines so I think I will stick with it.

JB COMP 01-17-2008 11:55 AM

as long as I can get atleast 5 gallons out of them, I'm good. so far the most gallons I got out of any of my engine is 3 gallons (but I got it used and it had 2 gallons when I got it) and my force 26 had 2 - 2 1/2 gallons, but it had some bad leaks and stuff. so I'm think I should be able to get 4 - 6 gallons out of my STS's this time with the kinda heat cycle method, heat cycling takes to long, I mean you run it for 3min then have to let it cool for 15-20min then run 3min and then let cool for 15-20min and do that for 1/2 - 1 gallon too much time for me.

slayerphonics 01-17-2008 03:09 PM

The Axial .28 1S is 100 bucks on ebay or like 109 on a-main

Thunder Tiger is a decent stock motor but i wouldn't buy it on purpose

Don't go .21 if your on a budget.. if you want the power of a .28 in a .21 you need alot of cash

.28 Axial - 110
.28 LRP - 170
.28 Picco - 200

I use the breakin method of getting the engine to 200-220 ASAP let it run for a about 3 mins doing figure 8's to break in the diffs at the same time, then shut it down until it cools to ambient temp, do that for a few tanks, then just go easy on it for next few tanks..
always seems to work good, every time i've tried something diffrent motor either doens't last or something blows... through my experience, i've personally broken in 4 motors and have helped and watched my friends with atleast 8 motors.. seems the heat cycle method produces the best results...

I think Nitro is over thought alot, things usaually are simpler then we try to make them out to be.

stz28 01-17-2008 03:36 PM

Suggest you consider looking for an OS RG21. This is a discontinued model, but new ones can still be found. There is one listed right now on eBay (NIB) with a buy-it-now price of $100 delivered. You can't beat that with a stick!

Easy to tune, tough, long lasting and decent power, too. I have two of them, that I can't seem to kill.

j_blaze 01-17-2008 05:51 PM

blaze, whats the JBmod in your sig mean
just that i modded it myself, jb=jblaze.

JB COMP 01-17-2008 06:41 PM

ORIGINAL: j_blaze

blaze, whats the JBmod in your sig mean
just that i modded it myself, jb=jblaze.

I guess I could do the same, JBmods for Jon Burkhardt:D or KRmods for Kid racing, and kid who dosen;t know what hes doing:) I'll probably wait till I can mod timing before I go around saying my engines are modded though.

I'll try to stay on topic now.

JMcDonald 01-17-2008 06:58 PM

1) Since we are on the topic of engines, and since Id imagine "modding" would be a relatively cheap way to get big-budget power out of a small-budget engine, what exactly is "modding" and how is it done?

2) Out of complete curiosity, does anyone have experience with the "Tiko" engines? I just found them on SupraSales. I just searched and found someone talking about how the Fantom engines that didnt last very long were made by Tiko. Am I right in assuming that Tiko is some Chinese manufacturer making their own engines off copied designs?

jonnymac 01-17-2008 07:09 PM

Toki engines aren't so good. I wouldn't get one.
Modding is a good way to get more power out of an engine, but you can also ruin it if you don't know what your doing.
Look [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5755442/anchors_5757359/mpage_1/key_port%252Ctiming/anchor/tm.htm#5757359]here[/link] for some info and do some searches as there are lots written on it.
essentially you will have to open up the ports in your sleeve with a dremmel.
Your best bet is to get a cheaper engine or an old one that isn't worn out and practise. Just don't expect great results straight away.

RcRacer37E 01-17-2008 07:26 PM

Might even take a look at the axe rossi sport, blue head 7 ports, if its anything like the mamba it should be a great sport engine and on a budget.

JB COMP 01-17-2008 07:34 PM

ORIGINAL: JMcDonald

1) Since we are on the topic of engines, and since Id imagine "modding" would be a relatively cheap way to get big-budget power out of a small-budget engine, what exactly is "modding" and how is it done?

I know basic sleeve modding, but I'm trying to learn timing mods.

JMcDonald 01-17-2008 07:51 PM

Oooh ok its coming back to me. I remember reading about this. I remember having intentions of trying it out, but never got around to it. I think they were simply calling it "porting," at least where I read about it, though.

About how long have those Tokis been seen to last?

j_blaze 01-17-2008 08:22 PM

yes, theres a "how to port nitro engines" thread in the engine section. learned everything i know right there. the toki 21 was surprisingly good un-modded, slightly better after heavy modding.. my measure is a 30ft jump we used to have here at the track. the "high dollar" race engines would jump about 30-33ft with the full run-up. the toki could only make it 28ft at its leanest setting. not bad for 3 ports (the 27 they offer did clear this same jump easily). i had it on its third gallon when my hyper 7 battery fell out and the buggy jumped out of the track, through a railing and upside down after hitting a fence. it ran wot upside down for about 30 or so seconds till i shut it down. i did not know about bdc then either. the engine ran fine till then. air leaks, overheating and then compression loss before that third gallon was over. it has a replacement p/s now with my old spi experiment, but until i find a carb that fits i'll leave it aside. the carb is composite and i melted it a bit and it leaks pretty bad (like covers the engine in goo bad). the 27 sits waiting on a new front bearing. very powerful for $75, fuel consumption is pretty good too, about 8 min runs on 150cc. (with a lot of fuel tubing)

"modding" would be a relatively cheap way to get big-budget power out of a small-budget engine,
not exactly, small budget modded engine might be close to a big budget un-modded, but once you mod an rb, novarossi or os there is no comparison.

JB COMP 01-17-2008 08:58 PM

also the High $$$ engines are made with better metals then the cheap engines, some cheap engine when modded I heard will start to break apart.

gbasile77 01-18-2008 04:21 PM

There is a great book called, 'Two Stroke Performance Tuning' by A. Graham Bell (no, not the telephone guy).

Although it is for motorcycle and go-kart motors, it is an excellent reference for 2-stroke motors and covers everything from porting, to expansion chambers to reed-caging and rotary valves. It covers alot of the key 2 stroke principles such as loop-scavenge etc and provides guides for any would-be grinder.

JB COMP 01-18-2008 05:47 PM

ORIGINAL: gbasile77

There is a great book called, 'Two Stroke Performance Tuning' by A. Graham Bell (no, not the telephone guy).

Although it is for motorcycle and go-kart motors, it is an excellent reference for 2-stroke motors and covers everything from porting, to expansion chambers to reed-caging and rotary valves. It covers alot of the key 2 stroke principles such as loop-scavenge etc and provides guides for any would-be grinder.
yeah, I've seen it. I think it like a 900 page book or somthing, oh wait thats my algebra, just kidding :D but that 2-stroke tuning book is fairly big though. I'm not one for reading a book so I didn't get it, thats why school was never really my thing.

wulfgang 01-18-2008 09:03 PM

I wouldn't recommend STS for beginner either. They are a handful to break in. Also, if you just think about how hard they are to get (only one place selling them now), you can see that there is a good chance that you won't be able to find spare parts for them much longer.

On the other hand, ThunderTiger is a mature brand name from a very, very mature distributor.

tkhoo 03-16-2009 01:32 AM

Hi, I have plan to get one new STS engine for my buggy and dont know which one to choose. D21E or D21B....I know E is the 3 port and D is the 5port. I just for bashing and not go race. May I know 3port version is how many rpm? Any pro and con on both engine?

youwish16 03-16-2009 01:18 PM

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/12591

http://www.modhobby.com/catalog/detail/GOTR21-M100SG

might be hard finding that go, seems to be backordered at alot of places

btw, how do you plan on starting this motor? box? pullstart? roto start?

tkhoo 03-16-2009 07:45 PM

ORIGINAL: youwish16

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/12591

http://www.modhobby.com/catalog/detail/GOTR21-M100SG

might be hard finding that go, seems to be backordered at alot of places

btw, how do you plan on starting this motor? box? pullstart? roto start?

I plan to use starter box. The STS D21E look in my budget and I wish all to give me more advise on this engine.

mogi 03-17-2009 05:18 AM

get a picco 21 basic, they are great little motors and go really well. i think you could pick one up for about$110.

FASTLOUD 03-17-2009 10:32 AM

the picco .21bas 3port is a good motor. Ive got 6 gallons thru mine and it still runs real good. they arent the fastest, but for $110 its definately the way too go if ur on a budget. u can do things to make it move out a lil quicker for cheap too! the jammin jpx .21 is $229 and is also a great engine. insane power! replace the stock rear bearing w/ a tko ceramic and it will last a long time. it will idle forever too.