RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC 1/8th Scale Buggies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/)
-   -   Ofna Hyper 9 Sneak Peak (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/7271223-ofna-hyper-9-sneak-peak.html)

K_B 03-26-2008 04:56 PM

RE: Ofna Hyper 9 Sneak Peak

The concept of centralized weight is what's being "copied". Ofna took the Losi approach and refined it.

cluelessk 03-26-2008 08:28 PM

most people think the tilted motor is revalutional. but the revos had it for a while.

HighClassBasher 03-26-2008 08:30 PM

ORIGINAL: K_B

The concept of centralized weight is what's being "copied". Ofna took the Losi approach and refined it.

What????:eek: That is absurd!! How the heck did they copy Losi?? ....Thats no different than saying that OFNA copied Traxxas because the Revo's engine is slanted toward the center for improved weight distribution:eek:...

Nobody copied anyone here.... its just common sence to move the weight toward the center[8D];)

SManMTB 03-26-2008 08:33 PM

As they say.... common sense is not so common.

FoamyVictim 03-26-2008 08:38 PM

It's more like... Evolution... :D

K_B 03-26-2008 08:58 PM

ORIGINAL: AiRevo

ORIGINAL: K_B

What????:eek: That is absurd!! How the heck did they copy Losi?? ....Thats no different than saying that OFNA copied Traxxas because the Revo's engine is slanted toward the center for improved weight distribution:eek:...

Nobody copied anyone here.... its just common sence to move the weight toward the center[8D];)
Holy cow... calm down... you're getting worked up over semantics. I said the concept (the idea) of centralized weight. I never said it was a direct copy of Losi's design; it's not even close. It goes much further than losi does too. But the idea behind it is the same as Losi's: Keep the weight near the centerline.

HighClassBasher 03-26-2008 09:26 PM

Im very calm bro;)
I just think that it is ridiculous to say that its "Losi's" design/concept:eek:....

Calin666 03-26-2008 09:49 PM

Well, I was thinking about getting a Losi 8ight next month.
Now, I dunno. Seems like I might just wait-n-save for this to come out. May is not that far away really.

bentgear 03-26-2008 10:11 PM

I thought they had been trying to move the weight to the center for years. LOSI just made a massive move, HoBao is doing the same...............just different.

Ed M.

K_B 03-27-2008 01:54 PM

It's nice to see some actual CHANGES in the design of a buggy. I remember looking at Kyoshos and X-Rays and others and seeing how the general design was the same. And if you look at their advertisements, they rely on marketing mumbo-jumbo to convince the buyer that their car is "different" and "better" than the competition because theirs has an extra degree of kickup in the front or some other mundane detail. Details which the average racer probably wouldn't pick up on if they were to run either car.

I'm not saying the other cars are junk. If they were, Kyosho, X-ray, Mugen, etc would be outta business. But I bought the Losi because it was obviously different from others. You could tell just by looking at it with the body on. Granted, it's difference don't appeal to everyone. But that's gonna be true about anything.

But I especially like how the 9 is different not for the sake of being different. Every aspect of it's unique design has a purpose that makes sense. And it makes sense to the average buyer/racer. You don't have to have an engineering degree to understand why they did what they did, for the most part.

46u 03-27-2008 05:39 PM

ORIGINAL: bentgear

I thought they had been trying to move the weight to the center for years. LOSI just made a massive move, HoBao is doing the same...............just different.

Ed M.
I totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess some have not been in the hobby long enough to know what buggies where like years ago. :eek:

46u 03-28-2008 04:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Introduction
The Hyper 9 is a completely new design from the ground up with many new and innovative ideas. Several criteria were set and met in this new design. Weight was number one and always a concern with every part designed for the buggy. Next, in order of importance, was side to side balance, low center of gravity, ground clearance, all on as narrow a chassis as possible. On the performance side, the buggy had to accelerate, corner, jump and land better than any other buggy on the market. In this article I will reveal many of the new and secret design features of the Hyper 9.

Note: All pictures are of the prototype model taken at OFNA's Black Ops Department (If you see any food crumbs on my kitchen counter, don't blame my wife Jenni. I got hungry while snapping these shots). The shape of some parts have changed on the production car, but all the geometry is the same.

Keep it Light
The number one goal in the new design was to keep the Hyper 9 light weight. Reduced weight equals faster acceleration and cornering speed. Smaller 8x14mm bearings have been used throughout the chassis (except for the rear 8x16mm wheel hub bearings). The number of screws was reduced, the plastic was reduced and the amount of aluminum used was reduced. The part count in total has also been reduced.

Chassis Balance
The engine was moved toward the center by using a 40 tooth spur gear and keeping the 13 tooth clutch bell. In doing this, the center drive line angles are also straighter, reducing scrub on the joint pins.
Moving the engine closer to the center drive line did not allow room for the rear brake on the center outdrive, so the disk was moved to the rear pinion shaft.
The engine was then angled 25 degrees toward the center for four reasons. 1. Allowed clearance between engine mount flange and center drive shaft. 2. Moved weight toward center of chassis. 3. Lowered center of gravity. 4. Pulled pipe toward center of chassis. All this combined with the asymmetric aluminum chassis plate balances the buggy left to right with a half tank of fuel.

Ground Clearance
Ground clearance has been something overlooked for years by most 1/8 scale designs. The chassis has been shortened for clearance front and rear while keeping the same wheel base as the Hyper 8.5. The bend for the 10 degree kick up in the nose has been moved forward as much as possible to increase clearance. The aluminum chassis plate has been reduced in size, cut on all four corners, and the side guards have been angled up for extra clearance. This is especially important when the chassis leans and squats while exiting a corner.

Gearing
The buggy accelerates and has greater top end speed because of the 11/43 gear combination at the front/rear gear boxes and the 13/40 combination at the center differential. The faster spinning center differential also reduces the torque effect of the engine.

Low Center of Gravity
Here is a list of items on the chassis that has been lowered for a lower center of gravity; steering servo, throttle servo, engine, radio box, center differential, all brake hardware, shock towers, rear wing, air filter and the fuel tank.

Better Cornering and Better Jumping
Most of the testing for the new Hyper 9 was setting roll center points front and rear for better balance through the corners and better jumping. The new buggy has better matching roll centers that make the buggy more consistent as the track conditions change. The front roll center was lowered quit a bit while the rear only a little.
The Hyper 9 runs stiffer front springs, and the front end rides higher. This, combined with the reduced weight, allows the buggy to jump farther (chassis does not scrub off speed on face of jump) and recovers from landings faster (chassis does not bottom out as hard).

Front C-Hub and Steering Knuckles
The C-hub and steering knuckle has been reduced in size and weight. The kingpin axes are directly in the center of the front tires. This reduces the shock on the steering servo when hitting rocks, holes and pipes. Front bump-steer has been eliminated with longer front tie rods and better alignment.

Note: The steering knuckle is deceivingly strong for its size.

Front Kick-Up and Caster
The chassis has a 10 degree kick-up with 20 degrees total caster. The bend in the kick-up has also been moved forward to increase ground clearance aft of bulkhead.

Adjustable Ackerman
The ackerman is a very important adjustment and sometimes overlooked by most racers. The Hyper 9 has three ackerman positions for steering from mild to wild. The ackerman is adjusted by changing the ackerman wire in the center of the servo saver. While I am on the subject of the ackerman wire, I found aluminum ackerman plates with bushings and screws bend, brake and fall apart. I found that a 2.8mm wire to be much more reliable, tighter and more consistent. I knew people were going to think the wire was cheap, but the performance and reliability proved to be much better. A great example of when simple is better.

Throttle/Brake Linkage
The throttle/brake bellcrank is angled 25 degrees inline with the carburetor so no binding occurs. The bellcrank also allows the servo to be laid down and moved forward for better weight distribution. The brake linkage is a very simple wire with a z-bend, not a bunch of little parts held together with bolts and nuts. Brake bias is very easily adjusted with a nylon nut on the threaded rod end. Another example of when simple is better.

Low-End Needle Adjustment
The low-end needle is very easy to adjust, and in most cases easier than traditional buggy designs. The body only has to be lifted a few millimeters and the needle can be seen through the side window. You also do not need a long screw driver because the carburetor is closer to the right side of the buggy. Another plus is the idle stop screw is easier to adjust.

Rear Wing
The rear wing mount is a small block mounted on the rear shock tower and the formula style wing is held on by four screws. The mounting area on the wing is thick to prevent braking and tearing. This greatly reduces the weight and lowers the CG. A more traditional wing mount will be available as an option part so racers can use different wings.

Fuel Tank
The fuel tank is made oversize with a filler insert that screws down inside to allow the tank to be adjusted to maximum capacity. The tank lid is designed to provide a perfect seal every time it is closed even when the tank is hot or cold. This is due to the newly designed spring touching only the middle of the self centering lid with a V-shaped seal.

Shocks
The 14mm shock absorber (14mm piston) is a very good shock and can be a great shock. The shafts are strong, the seals are very good, they weigh less (compared to larger diameter), and the springs are more consistent (larger diameter coils have proved to be inconsistent). With a few modifications the 14mm shocks do perform as well and sometimes better than larger shocks. I have always believed that the Hyper 9 should use an improved 14mm shock piston with aluminum top cap, threaded spring adjuster and threaded bottom shock seal cap.

Sway Bar Mounts
Sway bars are held in place by two set screws angled to allow for different diameter wires.

Miscellaneous
Right side guard is tall to protect servos and forms the lower have of the receiver/battery box. The number of screws you have to remove to take out radio is the same as the old buggy because of the one piece design.

The suspension arm fingers at the outer ends of the front and rear lower arms are shorter to eliminate flex.

The differentials are the same diameter and have the same fluid capacity as the old ones, but are a few millimeters shorter.

Rear Toe is adjustable from 2 to 6 degrees total. Rear anti-squat is adjustable from 1,2, and 3 degrees.

StephenW 03-28-2008 05:24 PM

I'm not complaining that there making it lighter but aren't there weight minimums? The track by me super implies the weight minimum so is the 9 gonna be to light?

46u 03-28-2008 05:26 PM

I am sure they took this into consideration but it is easy to add weight much easier then making a heavy vehicle lighter. The Hyper 8 and 8.5 are quite heavy.
RC Pro Series minimum is 7lbs 9oz.

FoamyVictim 03-28-2008 10:53 PM

Adding weight to make it legal is actually a bonus. You can choose WHERE to add the weight. ;)

gbasile77 03-29-2008 12:03 AM

I like the idea of tilting the engine to move the weight over the centreline as it retains a straight drive-line unlike the 8ight. Also the tilt benefits lower CG.
Looking at most buggy's design I think the tank could also be positioned more over the centre line by giving it a funny shape over the front centre drive shaft. Then again, with everything moving across in that direction the weight shift could go too far, afterall the radio gear lives over there.
I wonder if any designer has tried moving the battery around, as it is another component with a bit of weight. The 8ight has the engine in more of a mid-position, so why not move the receiver pack closer to the nose of the car?

Dirt_hawg 03-29-2008 12:32 AM

No thanks...........Ill stick to my RC8...[8D]

gbasile77 03-29-2008 06:33 AM

Good for you - I am sticking to my 7.5 - Classic pedgree :D 250 GTO of 1/8 buggies, or at least TDF

46u 03-29-2008 07:11 AM

I have an 8 and 8.5 and after the 9 have been out for about 6 months I will have a 9!!!!!!!!!!:D

gbasile77 03-29-2008 09:09 AM

I know it doesn't count for much, but I think the Hyper 9 is the best looking buggy - The proportions of the body look awesome. Way better than the 'noseless' 8ight

46u 03-29-2008 02:27 PM

I have a feeling those knocking the 9 are going to end up getting beat by them! LOL :D

JMcDonald 03-29-2008 03:25 PM

ORIGINAL: 46u

I have a feeling those knocking the 9 are going to end up getting beat by them! LOL :D
While I agree the Hyper 9 looks like an amazing machine, you have to realize that typically only the best, most seasoned drivers will be able to justify spending as much as this will likely cost, heh.

And I also agree with those saying that the whole "everyone is copying XXX brand" idea is a little silly.

mrbonk 03-29-2008 03:53 PM

ORIGINAL: JMcDonald
While I agree the Hyper 9 looks like an amazing machine, you have to realize that typically only the best, most seasoned drivers will be able to justify spending as much as this will likely cost, heh.

And I also agree with those saying that the whole "everyone is copying XXX brand" idea is a little silly.
Justification?? Meh.....my expenditure on this hobby exceeded the 'justifiable' stage long ago :eek:

rossi21 03-29-2008 06:07 PM

i bet the hyper 9 price tag will be around 450.00 hobao is good at keeping their prices down

46u 03-29-2008 06:15 PM

As we know when any new buggy comes out normally the price is higher then after a few months the price comes down. Now being Hobao makes all there own stuff I do not expect the street price to be much over what the Hyper 8.5 goes for. Keep in mind Hobao makes parts for other brands like Koysho and is why some others are so high. Yes I think the Hyper 9 is going to wake up a lot of people. :D