RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC 1/8th Scale Buggies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/)
-   -   Ofna Hyper 9 Sneak Peak (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-1-8th-scale-buggies-244/7271223-ofna-hyper-9-sneak-peak.html)

Takedown 03-23-2008 06:16 PM

Ofna Hyper 9 Sneak Peak

1 Attachment(s)
Just took a few pics from what is inside of my newest RCCA magazine. Looks like a neat buggy and prefect for a brushless conversion.

FoamyVictim 03-23-2008 06:21 PM

RE: Ofna Hyper 9 Sneak Peak

I was wondering how long it'd take for somebody to really try and push the envelope. Can't wait to see this thing in action on the track! [X(]

RevToTheRedline 03-23-2008 06:24 PM

I was gonna take a picture of that. lol

Just one question, what makes you think "this" buggy is perfect for a brushless conversion?

Takedown 03-23-2008 06:32 PM

ORIGINAL: RevToTheRedline

Just one question, what makes you think "this" buggy is perfect for a brushless conversion?
I really dont know but I have the strong feeling that like most Ofna buggies that that all three diffs are solid. Cant have any weak points in the drivetrain when using a brushless system. Instant and outrageous torque would rip any weakpoints to shreds.

adam-69 03-23-2008 06:41 PM

wow, thats eh..different :S. any idea on a release date?

Takedown 03-23-2008 06:43 PM

ORIGINAL: adam-69

wow, thats eh..different :S. any idea on a release date?
Ive heard a bunch of different rumors. Mainly heard around 1.5-2 months.

RevToTheRedline 03-23-2008 06:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Takedown

I really dont know but I have the strong feeling that like most Ofna buggies that that all three diffs are solid. Cant have any weak points in the drivetrain when using a brushless system. Instant and outrageous torque would rip any weakpoints to shreds.
So Xray, Mugen, Kyosho, Losi, Associated, CEN, all have weak drivetrains and aren't suitable for brushless is what you're saying (rolls eyes)

adam-69 03-23-2008 07:04 PM

lol yeh, i mean the xray 808 or the matrix pro, their diffs are made of cheese arent they?

Takedown 03-23-2008 07:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Takedown

So Xray, Mugen, Kyosho, Losi, Associated, CEN, all have weak drivetrains and aren't suitable for brushless is what you're saying (rolls eyes)
You dont get what Im saying... They all have great buggies, Im just complimenting Ofna...:eek:

adam-69 03-23-2008 07:12 PM

lol i know what your saying.. but what rev said was funny hehe.

46u 03-23-2008 07:22 PM

I raced a Hyper 8 for about a 1-½ years with WELL over 10 gallons on it and NEVER messed up a diff. Matter of fact broke very few parts. Now I am running a Hyper 8.5, which handles so much better then my 8. Keep in mind the pictures we are seeing of the 9 are only of the proto model. Go to Neo Buggy to see more about it. One other thing Ofna does not make anything only imports Hobao and Hong Nor. The Hypers are made by Hobao.

rossi21 03-23-2008 08:38 PM

it really looks interesting and definetly narrow like the current trend in 1/8th scale, i see the battery box is molded with the stone guard all one peice and the rear brake disc os located on the rear axle output and both throttle and steering servos are laid down. with a really funky linkage set up i also like how the front ackerman arm adjustment is made. it will have truggy gearing so it will have tons of punch. looks like hoabo is gonna upgrade the shocks to threaded ones but remain 14mm so im sure there will be lovers and haters on the shocks i like threaded shocks better personaly. take a close look at the wing there is no mounting holes visible on top of the wing so that has me stumped butt the new body kinda looks killer not as funky as the current one. this car looks really good and im sure it will have that nice low price tag on it to. looks like around may for a release date.

digifox 03-23-2008 08:56 PM

Does that thing have a Tilted engine so more weight is over the center?

RevToTheRedline 03-23-2008 09:07 PM

ORIGINAL: digifox

Does that thing have a Tilted engine so more weight is over the center?
Yep

46u 03-23-2008 09:11 PM

ORIGINAL: rossi21

it really looks interesting and definetly narrow like the current trend in 1/8th scale, i see the battery box is molded with the stone guard all one peice and the rear brake disc os located on the rear axle output and both throttle and steering servos are laid down. with a really funky linkage set up i also like how the front ackerman arm adjustment is made. it will have truggy gearing so it will have tons of punch. looks like hoabo is gonna upgrade the shocks to threaded ones but remain 14mm so im sure there will be lovers and haters on the shocks i like threaded shocks better personaly. take a close look at the wing there is no mounting holes visible on top of the wing so that has me stumped butt the new body kinda looks killer not as funky as the current one. this car looks really good and im sure it will have that nice low price tag on it to. looks like around may for a release date.

Keep in mind this is just the proto model and not the finished product. I just hope it is as durable as the Hyper 7, 8 and 8.5. I know my 8 and 8.5 is tough as a tank. :D

rossi21 03-24-2008 04:00 PM

ya i can tell its a proto model and a rtr to boot, to me it looks pretty tough i guess the only things that concern me would be the center bar on the steering ackerman but it also says in the article the pro version will be much beefier and also with the kinkage set up it may be kinda hard to work on. to me it kinda looks like the radio tray may be seperatly mounted from the radio box? that area will be either real easy or real time consuming to wrench on. im just praying for threaded shocks im sure its gonna be as tough as the 8.5 and alot lighter

zjwhitrock 03-24-2008 08:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i hope you can turn your monitors upsidedown[&:]

you have to click the exploded vey thing on the far right

StephenW 03-24-2008 11:12 PM

That is a wierd little engine. Don't no if id trust that whole tilting the engine thing. Perfect balance? what about a failsafe? that would unbalance it. LOL im just kidding and don't rip on me or think im bashing (bashing is what my rc does not me)

Dokioto 03-25-2008 12:33 AM

Very nice! Wouldn't mind getting my hands on one..

A little side note: I know Hoboa and Hong Nor make these buggies and Ofna sells them to us, but can you get parts from Hoboa and Hong Nor? Not that I am having any problems finding parts for my Ofna Buggy.

sloppyG 03-25-2008 01:02 AM

funny how people don't like/understand the engine tilt thing

it's actually a great idea to move mass closer to the centerline of the truck, the more centralized the mass is, the easier it will be to turn quickly, lower that polar moment of inertia

on a small scale, it's like when an ice skater spins slow in one place, then tucks their arms in and spins much faster

clifton421 03-25-2008 01:05 AM

Dang! This would be coming out just when I was about to get an RC8! Decisions, decisions........ [sm=confused.gif]

StephenW 03-25-2008 09:07 AM

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

funny how people don't like/understand the engine tilt thing

it's actually a great idea to move mass closer to the centerline of the truck, the more centralized the mass is, the easier it will be to turn quickly, lower that polar moment of inertia

on a small scale, it's like when an ice skater spins slow in one place, then tucks their arms in and spins much faster
I get it just think it looks.. different

SManMTB 03-25-2008 09:14 AM

Not a huge fan of the tilted engine. LSN adjustment will be a pain and not racing friendly. Looks cool but IMHO it's a band-aid solution.

zjwhitrock 03-25-2008 12:59 PM

ORIGINAL: SManMTB

Not a huge fan of the tilted engine. LSN adjustment will be a pain and not racing friendly. Looks cool but IMHO it's a band-aid solution.
never thought of that

HighClassBasher 03-25-2008 04:50 PM

The tilted engine is FAR from a band-aid... (IMO)The tilted engine is an EXCELLENT feature and will be STANDARD on ALL race buggies/truggies in the near future.[8D] It only makes sence;)....
With the slight amount that the engine is tilted i really doubt that it will be much harder to adjust the LSN...