Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

? about rebuilding a dummas big swamp buggy

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 12:04 AM
willlig756

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? about rebuilding a dummas big swamp buggy

Hi, I have a couple questions I havent found the answers for yet if someone could help or point me in th right direction I would greatly appreciate it. I have ab old big swamp buggy that is in fair shape. It needs to be stripped and redone. I paint cars on the side and was going to use the same materials which is a high quality paolyurithane. I was wondering if I need to seal the wood with something else before I began the paint process?? Im also considering using a rudder thats in the water for a cleaner look.. I have a os 46fx or 46 la i can steal off one of my airplanes cause i dont fly them all the time.. It appears to have been put together well.. Is this boat worth the time and money in respect to being a fun boat?? Thanks a ton!!!!! any other info is also greatly appreciated..
Gerald
Old 02-12-2011, 05:47 AM
71dartswinger

Default RE: ? about rebuilding a dummas big swamp buggy

YES you can use the paint for cars
use bondo and auto primer and the auto clear
the BSB is a fun boat with water or air rudders and can take up to a .61
Old 02-12-2011, 06:47 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: willlig756

Hi, I have a couple questions I havent found the answers for yet if someone could help or point me in th right direction I would greatly appreciate it. I have ab old big swamp buggy that is in fair shape. It needs to be stripped and redone. I paint cars on the side and was going to use the same materials which is a high quality paolyurithane. I was wondering if I need to seal the wood with something else before I began the paint process?? Im also considering using a rudder thats in the water for a cleaner look.. I have a os 46fx or 46 la i can steal off one of my airplanes cause i dont fly them all the time.. It appears to have been put together well.. Is this boat worth the time and money in respect to being a fun boat?? Thanks a ton!!!!! any other info is also greatly appreciated..
Gerald
I've never built one myself, but I know they've been around for a long time. Airboats run a tad differently from airplanes - by that I mean ignore pitch speed on props. What prop you'd run the engine on in a plane is going to be different in a lot of cases than an airboat. If it were me, I'd run the largest diameter prop that'll fit and adjust the pitch to get the RPMS where you want them.

They are neat looking boats.. I might even find one just so I can say I had one. I have a spare Sportster .65 drone engine sitting here New/Never ran so maybe I should.

Post pics if you can.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:02 PM
willlig756

ill get a couple pics on here in the next day or 2.. I been busy with work but ill drag it out and show what i got to work with.. Thanks for the info.. I have a few props here lying around I can try but one thing i have seen is people running a three bladed prop and I really like the looks of that.. Might have to order a couple to play with.. Anywho Thanks again
Old 02-12-2011, 01:43 PM
71dartswinger

this is the one that i had it also had a .46 motor had a 10x7 3 blade and used a 11x6 2 blade the 11x6 was faster
Old 02-12-2011, 03:20 PM
willlig756

Thats a very nice boat
Old 02-13-2011, 10:31 PM
boatnut

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a BSB love it, a lot of fun.I use a K&B 65. swinging a 3 blade 10x8.
I use the air rudders, as my pond has lilly pads in it. Love crossing pads
with an airboat, no snags. The rudders take a heavier servo than
usual as it takes a lot of torgue at full power to turn the rudders.
I decked mine over like the one above.
Have a blast.

Having this much fun must be illegal

Old 02-14-2011, 06:46 AM
dadkins

I have one That has been pretty hevily modified - deck over, fiberglass on the bottom of the sponsons - but I only have a .40 and it is not fast enough for me, don't get me wrong,It's a nice looking fun boat I just need more UMPH. So I built a Foam Boat that out performs it in almost every concievable way.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:09 PM
willlig756

Thsi is what im working with.. It doesnt look too bad and when I get a little extra time ill get it stripped down

Old 03-16-2011, 09:34 AM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built one for my son a couple years ago with an O.S. 60FP. On maiden voyage on snow last year, it went about five feet before it went airborn, flipped, and tore off the rudders. I rebuilt it and mounted an adjustable airfoil on the front end to keep the nose down and plan on playing with weights on front for balance. Anyone know where an approximate balance point should be on this? On outboard tunnel hulls, I seem to recall they run well at about 30% from transom.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:53 AM
dadkins

As I recall 30 percent is about right - I made wood rails that you can move the whole engine mount fore and aft.
I use a front airfoil and am working on an adjustable one - I also use trim tabs (adjustable) but seem to not use them - they are in the up right above waterline position which does no good ... until it starts to get airborne and it will catch it.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:28 PM
203_morris

I have a swamp buggy I am working on right now ,,however there are alot of ways to go about painting it my build I am adding 2 coats of fiberglass resin ,, and then some lusterkote paint, I find for the money and time its an easy spray paint to apply,and you can get it in your local hobby store, and it is realy good paint it flattens out on its own,, hard to get drips or waves its realy good paint big plus its fuel proof,,or order it from tower hobby,as for the fiberglass resin a couple of lite coats ,then sand it, hardens that wood right,up and fiberglass is very tough, just dont do to many coats as it will make the boat a bit on the heavey side , this is my build I am doing now ,and plan to do 2 lite coats of fiberglass resin ,then the paint.all that aluminum you see is 5052 H32 aircraft aluminum that whole mount ,engine magnum 52 and fuel tank rudders only weighs less than 4 pounds,, I have the engine sitting over the radio hatch and the engine has a 5 degree upward picth to it,,even when I put it in my swimming pool the nose of the boat still stood up some what ,and with the radio servos and battery pack further up front should balance out nice ..take your time building it, and don't be affraid to ask for advice, theres a lot of help on this site,I have built 6 boats ,this is my third swamp buggy,, I cant seem to get away from building them, the tunnel hull makes this boat stand out..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43884.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1601802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43884.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1601803