Search
Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Large Scale Airboat

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 02:24 PM
bone2156

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick, I checked my Weedeater motor and it turns counter clock wise. And son of a gun, we learned something new today. I thought sure you had that prop on the right way. I used to fly control line planes when I was a kid and thought I remembered which way a prop went. My 18 x 6 two blade prop will be here next week. I think I will hook it up tp my drill to see how it works best. S
Old 02-27-2015, 01:59 AM
Rick in Ohio

I went back and re check it and it runs counter clock wise. I flip the prop and it looks better...... just need to start this thing up and test it when I have time next. Right now my wife has me painting the basement game room. Better to get that honey do list done before nice weather comes.

This would have been great year with all this snow we have got to have played with this air boat on the snow. Are pond out back has 8 inches of ice that would have been fun also to run across.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:44 PM
bone2156

Ok, so we know it turns cow. And if we figure that you have the right pusher prop, wouldn't the manufacturer put their name on the front of the prop? It does not make sense that you would have to turn it around. If it is like a boat prop the trailing edge is furthest away from the engine. A prop is suppose to screw its way through the water or air. S
Old 02-28-2015, 02:51 AM
Rick in Ohio

I went out on youtube.com last night and got to look at some of the air boats, they had there prop turned around. The one guy had the same prop that I have and his was even turned and it ran really good across the water. I had plan on trying to fire my motor up on the motor stand this weekend but that's not going to work out.... to many things going on this weekend plus they are calling for more snow ice and you name it on Sunday again when I had a little free time on my hands. OH well maybe next week !

You would think a guy that's retired like me would have more time for thing, but I think I work harder now than when I had a reg job. The wife, mother in-law and my kids & grand kids that's full time job !
Old 02-28-2015, 05:51 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ya, retirement. Hardly an accurate word. I have been working harder, well heavier anyway. Just get the grandkids to help carry your stuff to the garage, and start up the toys. Maybe you can scare them anyway.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:11 AM
Rick in Ohio

No I don't want the grand kids around till I find out this thing is not going to come a part when I fire it up. I would like to have it done by summer so when the grand kids are all over we can paly with it out back of are condo. I also am wanting it so I can run the geese off. We pay a condo fee to keep the geese away but it don't seem to be working. I think a air boat coming at them will work better. The people that live in this area all fire guns up in the air at them and it just don't work any more. Last week we most have had 800 geese on the pond, crap ever where.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:51 AM
Rick in Ohio

bone2156

How is the air boat coming along?

I haven't even had time this week to even look at my motor that is setting on the motor stand that I love to fire up just to see ow it runs. My list of things to do for the wife kids and mother in-law never stop and in two weeks I have to open up are gun club for spring trap league's. That's when the cell phone starts getting left in the truck.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:28 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I will keep watching this thread.
I also have a Ryobi 31cc that needs conversion, and would be the cats meow on an air boat.

I have made 3 air boats in the past. Will will not talk about # 2 #1 and used an old ST .40
# 3 and ST90. Now that was a real hoot. It had a very very shallow V, maybe .5" @ 10" from center line. Leaned into the turns. Skidded through the turns like a monkey's uncle till I put three pieces of 3" x 1/4" tri stock on the bottom at the stern. One center line and the other at the the edges. Then it tracked nice and straight and turned great. If memory serves me it was like 40" x 20". The only time I flipped was when the side dug in to much in a turn. I think if the boat had about 1" of the side at a 45 there is no way it flip by digging in.

My thought was to go to about 50" x 25-28" with the Ryobi powered boat. But it would also be a working boat. Put a removable plane catcher on the front for retrieving dead stick float planes. That is the main reason to build one. But then you also got to remove the cow (whoops plane) catcher and get down and jiggy on the water.

Ken
Old 03-14-2015, 03:17 PM
bone2156

I know how it is with things getting in the way. I still have to work, wife and I have 3 dogs (two that we show) we both teach dog classes, and very little time to play.
i made up a box to pore my urethane foam in. Ordered a half gallon kit. Did not fill my box. Now waiting on another kit. I did order a transformer to make a wire foam citter and have started making the bow to hold the stainless steel wire to cut the foam. Also have my design drawn out in 1/4" plywood. Looking to be about 42" x 25" x 5", fiberglass. Played on the computer a bit and came up with the name " Gator Bait", with the head of a mean cartoon gator. Plan in having that on each side. Maybe by summer and the rainy season I may have it done. S
Old 03-14-2015, 04:32 PM
Rick in Ohio

We want to see some pictures bone2156

I still haven't had time to even start my motor...... yesterday the wife & I spent the hole day with are grand daughter at a gymnastic meet.........long day!
Plus I been trying to sell a really nice 6 x 8 Aluma Utility Trailer of mine. I think after I get this trailer sold I will have some time to start my boat.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:24 AM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you figure out what cc your engine is ? The 25cc has a bridge across the exhaust port and the 30cc doesn't. http://testfly.0catch.com/homelite/homelitemain.html
Old 04-15-2015, 05:01 AM
rcairboater

Do you have any additional information on the hull that you posted?