Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

lets see YOUR hull decorations

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 01:32 PM
Model_Mann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lets see YOUR hull decorations

i just thought that i would start this new thread, to see what every-one else is doing with their hulls, here are a couple of mine, they both are the top pieces to 2 different hulls one of them is 18x9x1/4 and the other is 15x8.5x1/4, the blue one was spray painted blue first then i designed and cut the 2 seperate decals out of fade-proof artisan paper, glued it then clear coated it, the green white and blue was done the same but without spraying it blue first,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62773.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	113148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60840.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	113149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40376.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	113150  
Old 03-19-2004, 05:38 PM
ibuildstuff

Default RE: lets see YOUR hull decorations

ever heard of this magical little item called.... VINYL?!

Jesse
Old 03-19-2004, 09:19 PM
Model_Mann

yeah but i like doing things the hard way, but what kind of vinyl, how do you like my designs????????????
Old 03-20-2004, 01:20 AM
pro27

Personally, I like Monokote trim sheets and plastic iron-on films.

Then a few decals here and there.
Old 03-20-2004, 02:41 AM
pro27

like this..........

Name:	Nk27820.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	113385  
Old 03-20-2004, 07:40 AM
LtDoc

'M._M.'
The designs are nice, and as far as doing them the hard way, what ever works... works! Using paper as you did usually results in a 'raised' design, which can be especially effective in certain applications. In others, not so effective. But you can say that about just about everything. In my particular area finding the 'right' materials to use can be very frustrating, as in, " There cain't be no such'a thing as that, can there?". I live in the widdest spot on the road between Tulsa and Dallas, which isn't exactly over loaded with 'newer' ideas and 'stuff'. I usually end up doing things 'free hand' (painting), and it never works right the first time (you know?). I'm building a boat now that will look like the one in the picture below (hopefully). Using a computer and a graphics program to 'paint' models has saved me lots of time/money/work, for ideas that don't look as good as I thought they would. Unfortunately, there are ideas that really look good but I'm not compitant /accomplished enough to 'do'...
- 'Doc

Name:	He97199.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	113409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12719.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	113410  
Old 03-20-2004, 09:39 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Model Mann
Hey ... whatever works for ya .... Taking some pride in our "ride" is a good thing , but we also gotta remember , different strokes for different folks .
In response to your question ... me - I'm usually a paint nut .... since as was said prior , sometimes things look different that you planned and getting them from the net is even harder to try and "imagine" them on your hull . Soooooo , I generally just whip ou the old sprayer and start going nutso .... LOL
Even tried "hand" trimming .... BOY , was THAT a mistake LOL

PRO ,
Hey guy ... I haven't seen that boat before . How about a few more shots of her , like side views and bottom views . ( Looks good ) BTW - did you cut those dripping decals out by hand or do you have a plotter ?

Doc ,
Mcallister , at least ya got a scale house . And BELEIVE me , I know right where your coming from about being located in the middle of no where and nothing. [&o] I've gotta drive over an hour to get to my "local" LHS . Thats why most of my rc stuff comes from the net .
Old 03-20-2004, 08:09 PM
pro27

ORIGINAL: TERBObob

PRO ,
Hey guy ... I haven't seen that boat before . How about a few more shots of her , like side views and bottom views . ( Looks good ) BTW - did you cut those dripping decals out by hand or do you have a plotter ?
Terbo.....go to my thread "what was I thinking" That's it in it's almost final glory. It is now complete, engine, tank set-up and linkages, rudder etc. I'll more pics coming in the monokoting article.
Like you told MM, What ever works.

My main winter hobby is racing my Losi XXX-S 1/10 scale touring car while my son races stock truck indoors on carpet, so I have a lot of car stuff around also. The "drip" is actually a mask pattern for painting lexan bodies. Avail;able at all finer LHS.
( I sound like a commercial when I say that). I did not use the mask as a mask though, I traced the pattern onto monokote wqith some of my own variations and then applied it to the covered hull. The extra drips were made from the excess of the cut-outs.

There is no reason not to be able to use these masks for some interesting designs on a regular paint job though. There are literally hundreds of masks available from several mfgs. Parma, XXX Main are the two main ones. You can also go on-line at rcxotic.com, they have a library of masks there you can print out on your printer as patterns for free. Some are VERY intricate with overlaps and such. Check it out for some ideas.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:14 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Thanks Mark , gonna do just that ... ( PS - makes me jealous seeing that one you did ..[&o] - looks REALLY good ! )
Old 03-22-2004, 12:43 PM
Model_Mann

thanks guys, hey pro i love the paint job, and i especially like ours lt doc.

HEY PRO hows that mokokote post comin????