Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Glow Plug Starters

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 01:42 AM
revelation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow Plug Starters

Hey everyone. I've bought myself one of those nice aluminium glow plug starters that have the battery in the top, a long pipe that has like a claw that comes out to clamp on the tope of the glowplug. I tried it and it didn't work so i went and bought a new battery and it still wont work. The only way i can start my engine is with two c-cell batterys in series and an old clamp type starter which has almost had its day. Any suggestions as to why the new one won't work??? Do different plugs need different voltages or something???
Old 03-20-2004, 02:12 AM
pro27

Default RE: Glow Plug Starters

Is it the type that uses an alkaline battery or a nicad ?

Alkaline batteries don't last long in these things nor do they supply the voltage or amperage needed for most plugs. The nicads are better for this. But they need to be charged regularly.

Personally, I use a power panel. Not just for the plug clip, but also for the starter. I can vary the amperage to the plug which is nice since some of the plugs I use require more power than others.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:50 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Ditto as PRO ,
I use a power panel also with adjustable amperage for different plugs and I also carry a fully charged NiMH ( battery) warmer . I carry the C battery operated one , JUST IN CASE . Along with a spare warmer to plug into the panel .... why ? cause there is an old saying - if it CAN go wrong , it usually will ( to me ! )
I did at one time , only use just the hand held rather than haul around the "extra" stuff , but it gets very frustrating when your batteries run down and you don't have your motor tuned quite right yet .
Old 03-27-2004, 07:34 PM
revelation

thanks guys. the other day i got myself a power monitor and a battery warmer and a new plug clamp and a heap of other stuff and i cant believe how easy my motor is to start now!! I even did a few hand starts i was so impressed!!!! That is, until i sliced my finger a few times on the prop..... My power monitor also auto ajusts the current to keep the glow plug lit even if the engine is flodded or cold or whatever. Pretty nifty!! thanks again, u've made one modeller alot happier about the sport!
Old 03-27-2004, 08:19 PM
pro27

If your'e gonna hand flip these things, it's wise to use some sort of chicken stick. You can buy one real cheap, but you can also make one from a 8-9" length of broomstick and some rubber hose. In a pinch, a thick (1/2"+) dowel and a thick wrap of electrical tape works too.

Better than slicing up the old digits[X(]
Old 03-28-2004, 06:15 AM
playtime56
My Feedback: (1)

Revelation,--Take a look in the end of your glow plug lighter. Mine had a little too much insulating medium around the center contact. A couple seconds with a Dremel fixed mine up fine. Like Pro and Terbo I use the power panel, but I carry one of these "just in case". By the time I need it it's usually weak or dead, but I have used it once or twice so I guess I'll keep it. Hope this helps.
Gordy
Old 03-28-2004, 12:30 PM
pro27

Same here on having a back up. Sometimes redundancy keeps you in the game longer.[8D]
Old 03-29-2004, 01:30 PM
fishjunky

Ok I'm new to nitro and have a few questions. I have a Hobbico lead-acid battery (12V) and a glow driver that is made to hook onto a panel. I have a panel but it isn't mounted in anything yet. If I hook the glow driver staight to the battery instead of going through the panel is it bad? I'll be starting on a box to hold all the gear shortly thanks to Pro's design in another thread but until I get that finished it's a pain to lug all this stuff around and hook it up for the three seconds it takes to start the engine. Thanks for all the great material already in this forum.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:46 PM
TERBObob

If I hook the glow driver staight to the battery instead of going through the panel is it bad?
YES ... this is bad ... it will burn the crap outta your glow plugs ( the things that are screwed into the top- button , of the engine .) . The glow plugs are meant to operate on 1.2 volts . ( and a very rare and old 2 volts . )
So , in turn , you will hook the 12 volt up and blast your glow plug to smithereans . And then you will need another $3.00 glow plug .
The power panel is meant to reduce the voltage , yet keep the amperage up ( and pending on the panel you have , some have a knob which allows you to adjust the mount of amperage flow to the plug . They say its amperage , but in reality it voltage . )
But , if you do not have one that has a rotating knob to adjust the amperage ... no worries . They do it automatically ( adjust that is )
They DO make a small handheld battery operated GLOW DRIVER that works off a NiCad or NiMh battery , which then eliminates the need for a power panel , but , myself , as others here will tell you , those will only last a VERY short time . I keep one in my field box as a JUST IN CASE situation . ( hardly ever use it )
And ... I also lug around a FULL size ( 675 CCA car battery ) . WHY ? That way , in case I "forget" to recharge the little motorcyle battery ( like lots use ) , I won;t be disappointed by a dead battery when I get out to the lake
Is it FUN to lug all that stuff around ? nope ... but .... it sure as hell is fun after getting the engines started .
Three seconds of glow starting for 25 minutes of fun ( before re-fueling ) is well worth it
Old 03-30-2004, 10:11 AM
fishjunky

Thanks TERBO! I hooked everything up last night through the panel and luckily I didn't kill the plug. I finally got a charger that will charge the single cell for the glow driver that I had. Now I have the redundancy you guys are talking about. I'll have to get the field box built soon so I can get out and have some fun without making several trips to the truck.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:30 AM
TERBObob

FTR - A field box ( per say ) is really not necessary . I have a buddy who use the power panel and car battery , but he just made a very small wooden frame around his power panel to protect it from shorting out and what-not . That way , he just lugs the battery and the power panel . and uses alligator clips to connect them . ( battery/power panel )
But , then again , maybe he just does that knowing that I have a full "stock" in my field box ...
Anyway ... good luck and hey ... WELCOME to the MOST enjoyable area of RC'ing !
Old 03-30-2004, 01:06 PM
pro27

I USED to use one of those little totes for airplanes for many years. Gallon of fuel, starter, power panel and a few misc items. I'd still be using it if I were younger.
But with bad knees and back, it became hard to kneel on the ground to start up an engine. That is the main reason for what I built. Now everything is easily movable without straining myself. Plus, I think it looks pretty neat![8D]
Old 03-31-2004, 01:25 AM
revelation

hey guys! well with all this new stuff i have, i now know the pangs of lugging it all around in three or four plastic bags! So can someone please post a link to the thread that has plans for a field box please? It would make carrying it easier and also then everything wouldn't slide around in the boot of my car..... AND SMASH INTO MY BOAT!!!!!!!!! learnt that the hard way.....
Old 03-31-2004, 02:03 AM
pro27

Well, they're not actually plans, but I do have a bunch of pics posted as well as the major dimensions that will give you a good idea to start out with.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Star...1664135/tm.htm