Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

newbie looking for simple plans

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 10:15 AM
clocker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie looking for simple plans

I was given a ENYA 90 - 4C four stroke engine. The valves may need attention but otherwise it seems fine and it should have an attractive exhaust note. I have not done any ic before but have the tools and know how to do this I'm sure. Here are a couple other projects.

This description of a little Stirling engine begins on the bottom of this page and continues on the next page.
http://ca.geocities.com/itschaotic/david1.html

This is my telescope.
http://ca.geocities.com/itschaotic/scope/

I want to build a simple air boat to get started with this stuff. I need some simple plans or guidelines to make an air boat. I've done quite a bit of scouting around but have not found much suitable.

If anyone has any ideas for me please post back. I do realise that you guys are in "deep" as they say but I need a starting point for me and my ten year old that isn't going to take too long to see some dividends in the way of testing.. if you catch my drift. I'd like to strike when the iron's hot with my kid and this gifted engine was a perfect start and has her drooling and fussing with the cleaning and assembly. She's day dreaming about this boat.. ehh should be fun if I can find something to keep the ball rolling.

Thanks in advance guys. Ian.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:12 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: newbie looking for simple plans

IAN ,
There are lots of basic simple plans out there , along with a bunch right here in the AIRBOAT section . Some simple , some elaborate .
There are a also a few on the net if you go to GOOGLE.COM and type in RC AIRBOATS , you'll come up with a few more sites , some which have basics .
With that 90 , a suggested size hull would be around 32 to 36 inch in length .
For here , got to the top right , click on the SEARCH and then check in the AIRBOAT section .
Old 05-09-2004, 05:23 PM
Selph-Inflicted

First off....Welcome to RCU! You'll find a lot of info here. There are some good builders here, all with different styles and variations. Which is great!!!!

Do you have an idea of what style boat you may be interested in? There are several diffferent style hulls you can build. Flat bottom, v-hull, sponsons, outrigger, etc.

Here is my web page with some video footage.
http://users.adelphia.net/~dadaddyro/

This link will show you the hull design. This design will allow the boat to slide, my reasoning for the pylons being turned the way they are on this project. Less drag when in a slide.
Great for doing waternuts!!! Here is a link with some close ups of the hull.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Pics...1667845/tm.htm

Good Luck on your build!!!!
Old 05-10-2004, 01:33 AM
clocker

Thanks guys.
I did look around quite a bit before posting here. I wasn't able to scrape up much in the way of primary information on balance, weight, and power etc. That's how I come to post on this forum.

This apprears to be a prototype division of boating. I'm interested in a flat bottomed boat that goes like a skinned cat. ;^)

As a beginner I'd sure like to be following a recipe. I have read many of the posts here but plans and or guidelines still escape me. I'm sure I could wing it but I'm also sure I'll be making some very common mistakes along the way. Is there an FAQ for the making of an rc air boat like I'm interested in?

Obviously the rc part will come in time but the boat I'm not sure about. What's best for a beginner to start with? How heavy should the finished boat be?

dadaddyro thanks for the welcome. The close ups of the hull help. Gracias

TERBObob if there were some simple plans out there then I have missed them. I'm familiar with search engines and the web. If you have some links please post them. The 32" to 36" length is a good start.. what ratio between length and width? What kind of weight all told?

Will it be enough to just push wind or for coolings sake should I have the prop in front of the engine?

How should the weight be distributed? Is there any need for wings to keep it from launching away from the water?

Thanks guys.. so much to learn..
Cheers! Ian.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:26 AM
asmithnc

Start with what ever lenght you want and then divide by 1.85. Remember this is not sicence but a starting point. Look at dadaddyro boat and try to copy the side angles, seems to work well. Build with foam it's faster and easier.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:55 AM
Selph-Inflicted

1BADHD....Would it be possible to make a simple blue print of my boat for clocker? I know you have the CAD sysytem. Thanks.
I'll be home for lunch today if you need any info.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:07 AM
1BADHD

Yeah....let me work on it.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:49 AM
1BADHD

This is the plans for Dadaddyro's Baby blue and my Orange Crush. I dont show the radio box or the engine pylon. You can come up with what works for you. As you can see. His engine pylon and radio box are different.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59348.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	130808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58379.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	130809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71004.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	130810  
Old 05-10-2004, 08:46 AM
clocker

Very helpful. Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm sure I can make a start now.
Cheers! Ian.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:59 AM
Selph-Inflicted

Thanks 1BADHD!! [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

Good luck clocker!
Old 05-11-2004, 02:09 AM
clocker

Between you all.. I feel like I'm on greased skids.. eheh

The plans gave me some much needed perspective. The pictures gave me some ideas. The general enthusiasm has infected me!!

I got the engine together today and wasn't too surprised to find that either the cams are in wrong or the valves need work or both. Such is life. I'm stalking the engine info now to check the cam configuration.

Is it worth having the valve guides redone and the valves seated? I guess we'll see what it's all like once I get the timing done.

I thought of some interesting material a bud uses at work. It's PVC and comes in sheet's an inch thick. It's easily formed with a wood rasp. It has a very smooth skin on both sides and is reasonably light weight. I may play with this for my first hull.

I can't thank you guys enough for all the info.
Cheers! Ian.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:26 AM
1BADHD

As long as its light and floats....its a good building material.

P.S. if You have to stick $$$ into the Enya to get going. Just buy a 2 stroke. You can get new .40's for $50.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:43 PM
clocker

1BADHD .. thanks for the nod. It looks like the timing is right so the valve guides and seats must be shot. I'll have a short go at the guides and lapping them in but if it doesn't show some significant changes quickly I'll certainly take your cue and buy another.
Cheers! Ian.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:37 AM
rcplaincrazy

Hello,
check this link http://www.lanierrc.com/lrcprivate/rcairplanes/seab.htm
I have a fueselage for this plane that has never been put together A freind gave it to me. it may be a start if you want it. I,ll Give it to ya all you need is to pay the shipping I can send it Cod.

I also have lots of other goodies ie radio servos, recievers, engines. will sell cheap to beginner.

also try this one there are lots of free plans and the planes are really tough http://www.spadtothebone.com/
Old 05-13-2004, 10:04 AM
pro27

Welcome to the forum clocker...(and young 'un)[8D]

There is a great deal of info here on the board. Sometimes it's just a little hard to find exactly what your'e looking for when you want it[X(]

One thing to keep in mind when designing your new hull. Keep in mind the size prop your 90 4s will be swinging. Strokers swing a bigger prop than a 2 stroke. This is important when you build the motor pylon. You want it just tall enough to give you some clearance at the prop tips. Keeping the overall height as low as possible will give you a better handling hull as the CG will be lower.

Don't want to let your little one to get disappointed when daddy flips it all the time..[X(] lol

The most important thing is to keep asking ???????
When it comes to airboats, there is more gray area than black and white. A lot of unorthodox things will work, so no need to feel embarrassed about questions.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:25 PM
clocker

rcplaincrazy you are a loopie dOOd.. ;^)

I'm trying to avoid leaning how to fly. I like the idea of "free" though and find it pretty tough to say no! But I will. Thank-you very much for the offer. This board or at least this little corner of it seems to be just the kind of place a guy could get used to.

I will be looking for some simple and cheap setup to run a four stroke air boat with rc. If you have some stuff that needs postage and may be appropriate for a starter please send me some details. You can reach me at itschaotic at yahoo dot. ca.. directly.

I'm in Canada but may have a PO box across the line that might help some.

The other link you posted won't work for me. I've tried over several hours and it remains out of reach.

Thanks again to all whom have made this such a welcoming place for this hobby.
Cheers! Ian.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:28 PM
rcplaincrazy

LOL
I guess my Idea of air boat is a flying boat Sorry. Geez Your all gonna think I'm wacko
Old 05-13-2004, 04:58 PM
pro27

I guess it depends how you look at it......

airboat....water vehicle propelled by an air prop

air boat..air vehicle that can land/take off from water

Hey.....it's good to see some guys 'cross the road' 9so to speak) to help someone else out[8D]